Screwed Up Flowering Room Setup, Can I Cut A Plant In Half To Trim Heavily Mid Flowering?

• Thread starter Mepis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mepis

TLDR; Plants grew to tall, put them in a poorly built flowering room where the lights hang down to the middle of the room. The top half of the plant doesn't get enough light. Is it safe to chop the plant in half so it can focus on the bottom buds? Not worried about yield, would rather have quality. Also worried about killing the plant or hermes (don't want to scrub clean the room right now).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Longer, more thorough version:

So, here's the story, I'm a complete newb. I'm still on my first grow and transitioning into my second. I still have three late plants from my first grow. One is doing very nicely, the other looks great but is super tall, and the third is looking kind of crummy and super tall.

I was originally setting the lighting in my whole basement from a 12/12 cycle but the other plants (tomatoes, snap dragons, alyssums, etc...) weren't to happy with this. I don't have a green thumb but found recently that I really like indoor gardening in general. So I built a flowering box and put both of my 400 watt MH lights in it.

I built the thing to short though. These aren't special growing lights. These are bay lights I bought on Craigs List for dirt cheap. I only started doing this back in February so didn't want to spend a lot of money out the door until I could figure out if I could do this or not. It's an expensive hobby to have (indoor gardening in general I mean).

The entire inside of the flowering box is lined in Mylar, but because the way the lights hang down, the bulbs sit about the dead middle of the flowering box. The light beaming up towards the top of the box is blocked by the metal casing that hold the ballasts in the lights.

Both of these larger plants don't get as much light from about the middle of the plant up. They are both about 5'5''. I can tell the different in growth between the shorter plant and the bottom halves of the two large plants compared to the top half.

Can I cut these large plants on the main stalk about half way down at a node without causing severe harm or risking hermes on the plant?

My biggest fear is hermes. I don't want to have to clean the entire room. I'm growing in a basement with a stone wall. General upkeep and cleaning is easy enough, but a thorough deep cleaning would be very difficult. I also don't want to completely kill the plant.

With all this said, I'm not worried about yield. This first grow was to see if I could even do this and use it as a way to setup and massage my grow area the way I want it (work the kinks out). I think I've figure that out so these plants have done their job very nicely for me. I am also rebuilding the flowering area. Now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing, I'm making a proper one. It'll be finished in a couple of weeks so I'm not worried about the future.

My curiosity behind this question is if it would be better to cut the plant in half so the plant can focus on growing the buds that are getting the most light. I'm not worried about yield but would rather have better quality.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

X2 on the jenner if doing any kind of cutting . The day after your next watering/feeding, use some string/twine/gardening rope and lst the highest branches down and tie off. Kinda like super cropping, but with out pinching.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Let it ride, trim out the top where your not getting light. Don't cut the stock. By trimming out the areas with no light you'll put more energy to other areas of the plant.

M

Mepis

Cool beans. Thank you people. I'll trim it down and tie it back tonight and let it go from there.

str8smokn

str8smokn

just put a couple CFLs above them in those clamp on reflectors. Any light is better than none.
That's if there's any room above them.
STR8

M

Mepis

Welp... I remembered the top having more foliage than it actually does. There isn't much to trim and all the buds are really close to the stalk. I'm going to let it go.

I was thinking about bending it, but the stalk is super thick and I can bend it enough to make a difference and get the plant were I want it.

I appreciate everyone's advice. I'm going to chalk this one up as a learning experience and let it go, continue to observe what happens and what kind of effect it has, take my beatings, and learn for future plants.

ThaDurb707

ThaDurb707

Do NOT trim your plant.

Bend it over... Do whatever it takes, but bend it over.

Start as low as possible, so the least amount of bend, gives you the most amount of drop.
I agree, I had some tops that got waaaay too tall, bent them over so that they were almost vertical. They didn't mind it at all and just kept growing. Trimming or topping will confuse the fuck outta them.

ThaDurb707

ThaDurb707

I know it may be scary if you've never done it... Mine were getting into the light and I wanted at least 18" of clearance, I added 6" to allow for it to grow back up after bend. So I measured down 2 feet, grabbed the stalk like a golf club with my thumb pointing straight up then pushed the stalk with my thumb in the direction I wanted it to lay(an open spot in canopy that wouldn't block anything else) keeping a good grip and constant pressure it will bend without breaking. Get it down to just above being vertical and you're golden

M

Mepis

Welp.. I went ahead and bent one over. Went fine. The second one bent the main stalk. It didn't snap but the stalk is flimsy now. I'm going to let it go and watch it closely, but I'm assuming it will cause issues at some point.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Welp.. I went ahead and bent one over. Went fine. The second one bent the main stalk. It didn't snap but the stalk is flimsy now. I'm going to let it go and watch it closely, but I'm assuming it will cause issues at some point.
You can use tape to firm up/secure the main stalk better where you got overzealous. Bending is a much better way to train during flower than making cuts. That why they call it LST low stress training. Granted LST typically is performed in the veg stages but I have used it successfully during flower with no ill effects. Making big cuts during flower is asking for trouble.

DankyPanky

DankyPanky

Bend them over, carefully. I do it when they're fully watered (may not matter, but it seems more flexy).

I was running the tall and lanky Destroyer in a room with 9ft ceilings and Gavitas, and the Destroyer was nearly 7ft tall in addition to the 3gal bucket it was in. I just bent all of the branches over gently, like 2+ft of each branch, tied them down, and it worked great. Looked a little funny, as most of the buds grew perpendicular (turned 90* toward the lights) rather than bulk up like a big fat normal cola.

You may have to get creative regarding where/which direction each branch goes, I had them going all over the place, across other plants, etc, but it works great.

M

Mepis

The plant seems to have responded well enough. Time will tell if I get a herme or not. The place where the stalk snapped/bent seems to have healed okay, though, it's still in the snapped position because of the weight of it. The tip of the 'top' most bud has done a 70 degree turn from pointing down to pointing up, so that's interesting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom