Scrog questions with pictures

• Thread starter AquaReefer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

AquaReefer

Hey guys and gals what's up. This is my first grow ever. I'm a month and one week into flowering doing a 4'x4' scrog grow. I had a few questions regarding scrog which I Google searched but found nothing. A lot of useful information along the way though. Let me start off by telling you about my scrog. Any and all criticism is welcomed.

I'm growing 4 seedsman white widow

Temp: 75-79
Co2 ppm:1300
Rh:50
Light: 600 Hortilux in a blockbuster 6 cooled with a 6inch valuline with a lumatek ballast.

Hydro rdwc bubble bucket a la Rumpleforeskin with a few modificatiins. 4 sites filled with 3.5 gallons and a 5 gallon rez filled to 3.5 gallon. I use rodi water with 0 ppms. I add 7 ml of botonicare cal/mag plus per gallon then turn on my pump and mix. I then use the Lucas formula at 8 ml per gallon micro and finally16 ml per gallon flora.

Ventilation is controlled by a 6inch valuline exhaust on a cap 66 filter. Intake is a 4inch valuline. Humidity is controlled by a LG 65 pint dehumidifier. These along with the 20lb co2 tank are controlled by a CHHC 1.

Pvc 4'x4' scrog frame 20" above buckets with trellis netting.

Ok so now that you know about my set up here is my dilemma which leads me to my questions. I made the big mistake of following another growers journal and trying to replicate it to the t. The only problem is that we are growing two different strains of white widow and being a total novice I expected my plant to have the same characteristics as his especially when it came to stretch.

My first problem came when I switched my indica dominant white widow too early. I followed the other journal in which the grower switched to flower at 1.5' to reach a Target height of 4.5 since his white widow stretched 3x's as much. Well mine ended up not stretching as much. I flowered "late" at 1.8 inches when the tip of the plant had barely reached the screen. Long story short my screen never filled in on the edges. Here is a picture
http://i.invalid.com/ovvrE.jpg
The plants are now at 2'8" to 2'11". I worked them through the scrog all the way until the 3rd week of flower then let them grow vertically. The tips are about 10" above the screen which is what most scrog threads recommend. Here is a pic
http://i.invalid.com/I2PvA.jpg

I got pretty uniformed growth so I'm happy about that even with the outer edges not filled in all the way. Now to my questions

1. I have read many threads stating that 12-14 inches above the netting is optimal. On my next grow I would like to grow my plant until it fills 80% of the screen and at a height of 28inches before switching to flower for a Target height of 4.5 feet. That would mean that 28 inches would be above the netting. I can get my light right up to the plants but keep it at 6 inches so I don't hurt them. My question being is it ok to have my branches 28 inches above my net? Also does the increased height equal more yield or would I simply have long skinny buds instead of short fat ones. Also would my light penetrate to the base or am I better off at 4 feet.

2. I was reading about cutting the undergrowth in scrog via Google and many forums. One question I had to which I read many contradicting answers was, "Does cutting undergrowth stun growth for a short period or increase stretch?". A few people were stating that you can actually reduce stretch during the first few weeks of flower by trimming some undergrowth since it stunts growth while the plant repairs itself. I also read some people saying the opposite that when they cut the growth from the bottom the tops sky rocketed up and even one person said that they had to chop early because the plant outgrow their grow space. If anyone can clear this up that would be awesome. also I would be trimming the undergrowth a week before flower and was uneasy about the thought of them outgrowing my space. I wasn't to sure so I left it on this grow. I would just like to know if it stunts or promotes stretching so I can veg accordingly. Here is my undergrowth which is very overgrow
http://i.invalid.com/qdQzN.jpg

Sorry for the long read and thanks in advance. Here are some pictures of the buds from a few days ago. They have really frosted up the least couple of days and are starting to fill in. Happy growing
http://i.invalid.com/SpYot.jpg
http://i.invalid.com/KWveZ.jpg
http://i.invalid.com/jMgTl.jpg
http://i.invalid.com/nM5UR.jpg

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Trim it up and get some airflow in there. I'd also try to lower the RH. Stunting or strech will depend on strain. (Some are sensitive, some really like it) Nice 1st grow. GL. -PDX

A

AquaReefer

Trim it up and get some airflow in there. I'd also try to lower the RH. Stunting or strech will depend on strain. (Some are sensitive, some really like it) Nice 1st grow. GL. -PDX

I'm a month and 2 weeks into flower I feel as if its too late to time but I'll pluck some off. I see that's what I was thinking I just have to get to know the strain. Thanks.

Any info on cola height being do able at 2 feet above screen

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

2 ft colas should be fine using a 1000w. With a 600, I'd probably shoot for around 18''. (You can probably get away with 2 fters) I trim everything below the screen. Gets good air flow.
At 2 wks you'll be fine trimming em.
40% RH is still kinda high for 12/12. Be careful of mold. The WW I ran had dense buds and I'd be a lil cautious with that high of RH.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Not to jump on PDX, but unless you have serious mold problems already, 40% RH is too low, unless you're in the last week or so of flower.

The problem with very low RH is that the plant spends too much of its energy trying to keep from wilting, which leads it to close its stomata, the tiny openings under the leaves. When these close, the plant doesn't take up CO2 anymore and growth slows.

In addition, this can lead to nutrient burn since the plant is pulling up so much water, and nutrients along with it.

I recommend 50-60% RH for most of flower. Dry things out at the finish, when it will be a signal to the plant that its lifecycle is coming to an end.

A

AquaReefer

2 ft colas should be fine using a 1000w. With a 600, I'd probably shoot for around 18''. (You can probably get away with 2 fters) I trim everything below the screen. Gets good air flow.
At 2 wks you'll be fine trimming em.
40% RH is still kinda high for 12/12. Be careful of mold. The WW I ran had dense buds and I'd be a lil cautious with that high of RH.

Awesome. Really good info. I'll shoot for 2 feet if they are lacking I'll adjust. What breeder's ww did you run? Thanks +rep

A

AquaReefer

Not to jump on PDX, but unless you have serious mold problems already, 40% RH is too low, unless you're in the last week or so of flower.

The problem with very low RH is that the plant spends too much of its energy trying to keep from wilting, which leads it to close its stomata, the tiny openings under the leaves. When these close, the plant doesn't take up CO2 anymore and growth slows.

In addition, this can lead to nutrient burn since the plant is pulling up so much water, and nutrients along with it.

I recommend 50-60% RH for most of flower. Dry things out at the finish, when it will be a signal to the plant that its lifecycle is coming to an end.

Sounds good I will adjust to 50%. I have really good air flow on the ladies so mold isn't too much of a concern or else I would definitely keep it at 40% . I always like to take a bit of information from everybody and ultimately choose what works best for my situation.

PDX won't take it the wrong way we are here to bounce ideas off each other and support each others grows. I appreciate everyone's input just the same. It's the best way imo to learn and expand our knowledge.

I had seen your set up with the old bathroom light cfls a while back. Kudos on that. I'm going to be building one for my veg room using 26w actual 100w equivalent cfls since I get good results from them with my mothers and clones. I tried giving you rep but it tells me I have to spread it out a bit more before I can give you some. I'll be sure to do that soon. Thanks again to both of you lots of knowledge to be had here

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

PDX won't take it the wrong way we are here to bounce ideas off each other and support each others grows. I appreciate everyone's input just the same. It's the best way imo to learn and expand our knowledge.

^^^^ Exactly. No offense taken. Everyone does things their way. I keep my RH around 50% in veg, then lower it to around 30% in 12/12 at 3-4 wks. I like the lower RH because I feel it keeps me safer from mold in the denser buds and my plants seem to produce more crystals. (IMO)

Im no pro and Im not saying this is THE WAY, but it works for me. -PDX

Top Bottom