scrog vs letting er go

• Thread starter abracadabber
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

abracadabber

Hey guys,
So I gotta question for some experienced scroggers..
Would you scrog even if you had plenty of space to grow regularly? Say u had a whole bedroom for one plant.. Would you scrog it, or just let it grow?
I have enough space to grow a big bush, but I'm not sure if a scrog would yield more or just help to manage a top heavy bush.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Hands down would be better if u do some type of training. Growing Xmas trees just don't compare. If u look, lumens lessen as height increases. Our bulbs and hoods we use put out a flat footprint. So its much better to train a plant with an even canopy so that way light is distributed to multiple tops evenly. If u want just one plant, don't rush veg and train that little girl to. put out ;)

ttystikk

ttystikk

...and three makes it unanimous! The point of SCROG is to spread the plant out and maximize the active growing mass of the plant at the optimal distance from your fixture. The more room you have, the MORE important this gets in order to do justice to the square footage.

A

abracadabber

I appreciate the help. I figured scrog would be better, but I wasn't sure if it was just meant to make the best out of small spaces. Seems like it'll be easier to tend to and not have to worry about top heavy plants.. I'm an outdoor guy, and have never done a scrog.

Thanks

budm

budm

Here's my 2 plant scrog in a 5x5 area under a 1K Hps. G-13 labs Pineapple Express that I vegged for 90 days from seed. Girls are in 7 gal airpots w/ coco being fed DTW. The reason I went scrog was for the reasons mentioned above.

Jboys3

Jboys3

Since I do pertpetual grow, I do not scrog. However; I bend/train plants to spread and grow. Six plants make a nice canopy on a 4x8' table usnig bamboo lattice for support.

I don't raise trees--yet!

A

abracadabber

90 days huh?
yeh I figured I might get better results, veggin for a longer time..

did u top those ladies? How many times?

cuz it seems that someone could veg and veg for longer than 90 and come up with a single monster.. I can only grow 6 with my card, and was thinking of running cycles of over vegged scrogs and harvest one every couple of weeks.. After the initial waiting period.

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

One plant? LST. There is a difference between LST and SCROG, concerning hormonal release in the plant. Sometimes achieved in SCROG, but incidentally, whereas with LST, it is intentional, with every branch trained. Most of the tutorials about LST are spin-offs and actually don't describe what you really need to do or at least the why's of it all. They aforementioned tuts are more canopy shaping guides in the form of SCROG sans screen, instead of true LST.

SCROG is physical manipulation. True LST is physical manipulation that also intentionally involves some tomfoolery - ya trick yer girl into thinking a deer just chomped off her main growth shoot so she releases some internal chemicals to another growth shoot.

A

abracadabber

Good!! The how and the why!! I love knowing why..
Has anyone read "The Secret Life of plants"? That's a crazy book.. (but I do kno about the apical cola and how the plant survives winters)
Anyways, forgive me if I'm retarted.. Haha, but isn't LST and scrog essentially the same thing?
I realize LST uses ties or string, and scrog does that with a screen. But the end result is the apical cola is laid down again and again and pretty much grown sideways.
I love the scientific aspect to these plants.. She's a curious little lady that's for sure

Bannacis

Bannacis

Scrog requires a screen, and some lst. just a screen of green...I thought LST is low stress training. bending and tying, weighing branches down. usualy no damage.
Now is the above technic that cat mentioned, that simulates a deer chomping off the end of a branch not lst... in order to trick your plant, wouldn't that require a more of a pinch and bend, even looks like its broken? which I believe is suppercropping.
Then there's topping and fiming....
But whatever it its called he's spot on. I love manipulating the plant from the very earliest you can.
When its small (well rooted) you can take the very top nub off, (This does less damage) then cutting the top off.
If you carefully spread the very top set of tiny leaves, and you look for the spot in the middle. a nub (which is the newest growth) to appear. (if develops a stem you can still pop it off, but there"s a chance to break uneven).that will eventually be your first main top. you take a toothpick and pop it off. It comes off easy. Then two braches will grow perfectly. Then when those two grow out, you keep and eye on it, and do it again. two more identical perfect branches. that will give you a symmetrical even plant that if well trained will give you maximum tops. You have to lst and suppercrop but that would give you a perfect even trained canopy.
And the wider your pot the wider your canopy will be. and a long veg period for training will ensure a bigger harvest.

Budm... nice spread of 2 girls... good bunch of tops...
Perfect example of a scrog.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Since I do pertpetual grow, I do not scrog. However; I bend/train plants to spread and grow. Six plants make a nice canopy on a 4x8' table usnig bamboo lattice for support.

I don't raise trees--yet!

There is nothing about perpetual grow operations that makes them incompatible with SCRoG techniques. I use both simultaneously to great effect!

budm

budm

90 days huh?
yeh I figured I might get better results, veggin for a longer time..

did u top those ladies? How many times?

cuz it seems that someone could veg and veg for longer than 90 and come up with a single monster.. I can only grow 6 with my card, and was thinking of running cycles of over vegged scrogs and harvest one every couple of weeks.. After the initial waiting period.

Yes, they were topped, lst'd and supercropped during that time. I'd have to review my logs, but iirc I only topped twice but I did a ton of training before the screen was ever placed. The airpots were great to use for training as I cut coat hangers to make 'S' hooks, to length, that hooked into the sides of the pot and held down whichever branch I was training. Worked very nice because slip-knots and tying stuff just ain't for me.

I didn't have clones to work with, and no access to any, so I wanted to start just a couple seeds. I knew the initial veg period would be longer, and I was okay with that. The reason I flipped at 90 days; I was trying to fill the screen but not overfill it and took a guess. I got lucky this time as my screen is nearly full.

From here on out, it's perpetual. I took clones that will move into the flower room when those are chopped. I'm putting in 6 next time in the same space since they haven't been vegged as long. Rinse and repeat.

soserthc1

soserthc1

Look up the grower Flowamasta if you're not sure. That should settle it.

-- iCultivate --

yea that man can sure veg a plant to its full potential but he gotta waste way to much time vegging ..... aint seen him around much .... but he def gives the pigs justification to estimate 2lbs a plant ......

ttystikk

ttystikk

yea that man can sure veg a plant to its full potential but he gotta waste way to much time vegging ..... aint seen him around much .... but he def gives the pigs justification to estimate 2lbs a plant ......

He runs just over 1lb per run, only vegges for 25-30 days, runs everything under a 600W HPS. Consistently 25-30 tips, all regular as soldiers.

soserthc1

soserthc1

He runs just over 1lb per run, only vegges for 25-30 days, runs everything under a 600W HPS. Consistently 25-30 tips, all regular as soldiers.

Damn he gets them plants that big in 30 day tty... thats impressive might have to check out won of his threads from start to finish - so he is over a 1 gr almost 1.5 grams a watt - I was always under the impression it takes him a good while to get them that big - does he start from seed or clone ?

good morning all
SoSerTHC1

ttystikk

ttystikk

Damn he gets them plants that big in 30 day tty... thats impressive might have to check out won of his threads from start to finish - so he is over a 1 gr almost 1.5 grams a watt - I was always under the impression it takes him a good while to get them that big - does he start from seed or clone ?

good morning all
SoSerTHC1

Clones in a single plant dwc/hempy of his own creation. What's even more impressive is that he pulls these runs out like clockwork...

soserthc1

soserthc1

yea and if anything were to go down hell its only 1 plant ... even if he rans 3 no big deal and pulling 3 lbs - actually he might be the only thing close to what police estimate plants at ......lol....imagine if he ran a room of them , that would be something

Top Bottom