Scrog w/new string. Stretching too much. Ideas?

• Thread starter malachii
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
malachii

malachii

Scrog w/new strain. Stretching too much. Height issue?

Well, I think my title says it all. I'm vegging a clone that was supposed to be indica dominant, yet here it is stretching fast as hell.

I'm in a very confined space (2x2 scrog). This is a problem. I've let them grow vertical now that every space in my scrog is filled. I'm almost done (I think!! - it's been 2.5 weeks since lights change).

Problem is some are growing vertically much faster than others. I'm only using a 400w, so light penetration is not the best. Once I raise it to suit the tall buds, the shorter buds don't get much light.

I have more bud sites than I've ever had before. About 40 in that small space. If they were all level I guess I'd have massive yield by my standards (all smal buds, but I don't care about looks).

Question is really this - should I chop all the short ones, leaving the 20 taller ones, which might (a) focus the energy on just 20 buds, and (b) get rid of the buds not getting enough light at all? Obviously will cause some trauma, but I've found these plants to be pretty tough.

My light is about 8 inches above the high buds (cooltube, 400w), and my tall buds are about 8" taller than my short buds (16" away from the light). Roughly.

Thanks!

Mal.

Forgot to mention - so long as they don't grow much more, I have enough height to deal with the tall ones.

if you don't have the option of tying the taller stuff down, you could certainly top some of the taller ones in order to have a more uniform height for all. Obviously this isn't ideal, but at least you'd get consistent coverage and therefore better yields. 16" from a 400w (sodium?) doesn't provide much in terms of lumens/lux. I'm running a couple 400 sodiums and I keep them about 6-8" from the tops. I let the plants on the edge grow taller so that the plants kinda grow around the cool tube. if this doesn't make sense, I can include a pic.

in the future, regardless of strain, I wouldn't completely fill your screen during veg. i flower beforehand and weave them in as they stretch. it also allows you to bend over taller shoots without having it run into other tops.

malachii

malachii

if you don't have the option of tying the taller stuff down, you could certainly top some of the taller ones in order to have a more uniform height for all. Obviously this isn't ideal, but at least you'd get consistent coverage and therefore better yields. 16" from a 400w (sodium?) doesn't provide much in terms of lumens/lux. I'm running a couple 400 sodiums and I keep them about 6-8" from the tops. I let the plants on the edge grow taller so that the plants kinda grow around the cool tube. if this doesn't make sense, I can include a pic.

in the future, regardless of strain, I wouldn't completely fill your screen during veg. i flower beforehand and weave them in as they stretch. it also allows you to bend over taller shoots without having it run into other tops.

I was planning on running 8" above. I half filled before flowering, as I did with previous strains, but this one went nuts on me. Live and learn. I've never tied them down. I'm almost done the stretch - you think tying down is still a good idea? I should be able to figure something out.

I get what you mean about growing taller. Must be hard to get right though.

How would I top my tall buds now? They are already flowering?? Is it safe to do that during the stretch?

Thanks,

Mal.

malachii

malachii

Oh yeah forgot to ask you - would you have a problem having so many (40?) bud sites from 1 plant?

you might not be able to tie down simply because you might end up having but sites that touching each other, which could be an issue with mold. Ever notice how if two leaves are laying against each other, there is usually some moisture on the contact point?

for tying down, i buy those reels of twist tie at HD.

you'd top right above a node that is around the same height as the shorter stuff. The plants are going to continue flowering through the stretch, so to try and time it will be tough. better to bite the bullet and even them out. again, it isn't ideal to top them now, but you just have too much variation in height to get adequate light coverage for all of it.

as for too many bud sites... I'd have to see a pic. obviously on a branch you'll have multiple bud sites that grow into one bigger cola.

did you track the height of the plants prior to flowering so that you'll know roughly how much the stretch in future grows?

Latest posts

Top Bottom