SCROG with indica dominant strains?

• Thread starter darklordmelkor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
darklordmelkor

darklordmelkor

Hello all.

Currently growing God's Glue Photo. It's indica dominant. Being bushy and really short. Seed bank says that plant is 60% indica 40% sativa. I am at end of week 3 and they are still growing 5th and 6th set leaves.

My question is when to start scrogging indica dominant plants? Planning to go for 6 or 7 week veg. Currently at end of 3rd week (21 days).

I am used to grow sativa dominants and at this weeks they are around 30cm height but this ones are really short lol.

Here is photos. One of them is runt tho.

Scrog with indica dominant strains
Scrog with indica dominant strains 2
Scrog with indica dominant strains 3

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

It's easier to grow scrog style after you've grown the plant before, so you know what to expect. Generally speaking, short, squat plants are better suited to SOG than SCROG.

I have had plants that started out short and squat, but stretched an amazing amount. More typically, they don't stretch an amazing amount. Which have you got?

darklordmelkor

darklordmelkor

It's easier to grow scrog style after you've grown the plant before, so you know what to expect. Generally speaking, short, squat plants are better suited to SOG than SCROG.

I have had plants that started out short and squat, but stretched an amazing amount. More typically, they don't stretch an amazing amount. Which have you got?

Never grown God's Glue photo before. I did for god's glue autos but totally different. I have 5x5 tent and want to fill every inch of room with buds lol. Also no time for SOG because summer is coming and then i have heat issues. I planned them to veg 6 weeks and 10 weeks for flowering and we are in Jun which summer heat comes. So i have to finish that harvest before.

Speaking for taller growing sativas i am used to start at week 3 but this ones are really short. Didn't measure but they are about 10-12cm height now. If i wait them to get 30cm long probably i will be end of week 6 lol.

I know some growers installing net after they start flowering cycle but many growers thinks thats not real scrog. Many topics says start it in veg cycle.

But can't decide when to start. They are too small for net right now in my eyes. But not expecting get amazing stretch next 3 weeks. I don't know what to do actually lol.

GrimReffer

GrimReffer

Never grown God's Glue photo before. I did for god's glue autos but totally different. I have 5x5 tent and want to fill every inch of room with buds lol. Also no time for SOG because summer is coming and then i have heat issues. I planned them to veg 6 weeks and 10 weeks for flowering and we are in Jun which summer heat comes. So i have to finish that harvest before.

Speaking for taller growing sativas i am used to start at week 3 but this ones are really short. Didn't measure but they are about 10-12cm height now. If i wait them to get 30cm long probably i will be end of week 6 lol.

I know some growers installing net after they start flowering cycle but many growers thinks thats not real scrog. Many topics says start it in veg cycle.

But can't decide when to start. They are too small for net right now in my eyes. But not expecting get amazing stretch next 3 weeks. I don't know what to do actually lol.
I actually like scroging with shorter fatter plants. You will just have a bit longer veg time. I believe it’s best to start training as soon as you can but it’s really a personal preference. For a single plant scrog I like to tie the top down the the side of the pot and start growing at an angle, this will expose more branches to light.

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

I scrog every run and I mostly run indica-dominant genetics. A couple things that might or might not be relevant to your grow. The first is, I think it's helpful to run my light on a progressive, so the intensity isn't holding the height down. The farther your genetics' origins are from the equator, the more I suspect that matters. A kush whose ancestors evolved at 40° N latitude won't dig the light as much as some Colombian landrace. I'll go 25% of my final flowering intensity through the third week of veg, and then bump up to 50% through the second week of flower. The latest I'll drop my scrog is the day after I flip to flower. The earliest is maybe 10 days before I flip. It really depends on how the plants are doing, and how tall they are relative to my desired trellis height, which is typically around 18 or 20 inches from the floor. I use a tight framed trellis, top and supercrop a lot, and scrog pretty low.

darklordmelkor

darklordmelkor

I actually like scroging with shorter fatter plants. You will just have a bit longer veg time. I believe it’s best to start training as soon as you can but it’s really a personal preference. For a single plant scrog I like to tie the top down the the side of the pot and start growing at an angle, this will expose more branches to light.
They are 10-12 cm right now. Isn't it too early? I will also LST them.
I scrog every run and I mostly run indica-dominant genetics. A couple things that might or might not be relevant to your grow. The first is, I think it's helpful to run my light on a progressive, so the intensity isn't holding the height down. The farther your genetics' origins are from the equator, the more I suspect that matters. A kush whose ancestors evolved at 40° N latitude won't dig the light as much as some Colombian landrace. I'll go 25% of my final flowering intensity through the third week of veg, and then bump up to 50% through the second week of flower. The latest I'll drop my scrog is the day after I flip to flower. The earliest is maybe 10 days before I flip. It really depends on how the plants are doing, and how tall they are relative to my desired trellis height, which is typically around 18 or 20 inches from the floor. I use a tight framed trellis, top and supercrop a lot, and scrog pretty low.
so you start around they are 18-20 inches above pot. okay sounds good. i want them yield big. really big lol. i also understand what you mean you are dimming your light but i am using 1000w hps without dimmer. so they are sucking 1k light all 18h period. light distance is around 80cm from canopy. running cooltube with 500cfm exhaust fan. so no heat issues yet. it's around 26-28C lights on and 19-21C lights off. 20L pots btw.

but dude they are damn short lol. i take photos from my all grows and my last grow was white widow auto (very sativa). comparing with this run and ww was 4x taller than this lol.

my desired height is actually around 100-120cm and looks like they are not able to do that forever.

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

but dude they are damn short lol. i take photos from my all grows and my last grow was white widow auto (very sativa). comparing with this run and ww was 4x taller than this lol.
I've got my veg light at about the same height as yours...30 inches from the canopy. But it's a 6500K T5, with half the bulbs turned off through V3. That makes a very different plant shape. The only other possibly helpful idea I have is that if you're watering like you have with sativas, you might back off the frequency a bit and see if that helps. I've found indicas to be sensitive to overwatering, at least in soil. I water to run-off only when the pots get very light.

darklordmelkor

darklordmelkor

I've got my veg light at about the same height as yours...30 inches from the canopy. But it's a 6500K T5, with half the bulbs turned off through V3. That makes a very different plant shape. The only other possibly helpful idea I have is that if you're watering like you have with sativas, you might back off the frequency a bit and see if that helps. I've found indicas to be sensitive to overwatering, at least in soil. I water to run-off only when the pots get very light.

I am doing same. Watering until pot feels very light. Actually i have empty pot and not watering it to compare weight. First checking 4-5 cm deep of soil with finger. If it's very dry i am lifting pot. Sometimes bottom is still wet and weight is obvious. When it's close weight to empty pot i am watering.

In 21 days i watered them 3 times only. Because i started in 20L pot directly i am used to do with autos. That was a mistake but never show signs of underwatering or overwatering. Leaves never wilt or thankfuly i didn't get any yellowing leaves even from tips yet.

Now i tied them to sides so LST'd. They are going wider everyday but short af.

Two of them developing 5th set leaves (not counting cotyledons) and signs of 6th set leaves. One of them bit faster and developing 6th set leaves and signs of 7th set. So i can say that 2-3 days behind from schedule but growth rate is not bad. As i said they are just short. Very short lol.

That's how they look like after LST now.

I think they will be very short plants with LST and Scrog lol.

Day 21 1 LST 1
Day 21 2 LST 1

GrimReffer

GrimReffer

I am doing same. Watering until pot feels very light. Actually i have empty pot and not watering it to compare weight. First checking 4-5 cm deep of soil with finger. If it's very dry i am lifting pot. Sometimes bottom is still wet and weight is obvious. When it's close weight to empty pot i am watering.

In 21 days i watered them 3 times only. Because i started in 20L pot directly i am used to do with autos. That was a mistake but never show signs of underwatering or overwatering. Leaves never wilt or thankfuly i didn't get any yellowing leaves even from tips yet.

Now i tied them to sides so LST'd. They are going wider everyday but short af.

Two of them developing 5th set leaves (not counting cotyledons) and signs of 6th set leaves. One of them bit faster and developing 6th set leaves and signs of 7th set. So i can say that 2-3 days behind from schedule but growth rate is not bad. As i said they are just short. Very short lol.

That's how they look like after LST now.

I think they will be very short plants with LST and Scrog lol.

View attachment 1336762View attachment 1336763
Perfect

2Bad

2Bad

I wouldn't even be training it but that's just me. Not until I knew what it could do. Because it's just prolonging veg by training it.

GrimReffer

GrimReffer

If you have never herd of the northern scrogger then you should check out his site some really great tips on there and the first tip is early training. He dose amazing single and multi plant scrogs and actually has a scrog school on YouTube but I’ll just leave his website.

darklordmelkor

darklordmelkor

I already LST'd them. I will train them 2 more weeks like that and then install scrog with extra 1 week veg then go for 12/12 and then lower defo at week 2 of flowering. First time i am growing this strain and indica dominant plant. So this will be experience for me. Any ideas and tips are well appreciated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom