Se7000 cord gets hot normal?

• Thread starter rangabud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GuySmiley

GuySmiley

Does anyone think applying a small bit of dielectric grease to the connector would help at all?
No.
I had light troubles during last year's grow. I checked my outlets with a multimeter. Some were getting 98vAC while other outlets were almost getting 136vAC.
The problem was diagnosed by the power company. The neutral wire was bad. Luckily it was on their side of the connection or else I would have had to pay for the fix. The guy hopped on the boom bucket on his truck and had it fixed in 5 minutes. No more voltage fluctuations.

Step #1. Check the voltage at the outlet. If it checks out fine, then you can turn your attention to the light fixture.

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yeah I might have to but I would need to buy a tool I'm guessing on there's no way the prongs on my multimeter would fit in the outlet and I'm not even sure if that's safe.

240v is the standard in my country, no adapter required spiderfarmer make their lights for 240v aswell.

The hot bit is the connection in the picture and a and just a short length of the wire either side. That connection is from the driver to the light bar.
Hi, those connectors can be tricky to get together sometimes, If its not in and twisted to lock it may be lose and lose can cause that heat....warm is okay hot is not.....can you put your finger on it and leave it there or is it too hot to do that? If its too hot to keep your finger on it shut it down now!!!! no good at all....ex electrician here and it has a problem....If its just warm then not to worry but HOT????? ...no no no man shut er down!

OldCajun

OldCajun

Hi, those connectors can be tricky to get together sometimes, If its not in and twisted to lock it may be lose and lose can cause that heat....warm is okay hot is not.....can you put your finger on it and leave it there or is it too hot to do that? If its too hot to keep your finger on it shut it down now!!!! no good at all....ex electrician here and it has a problem....If its just warm then not to worry but HOT????? ...no no no man shut er down!
I agree with that, hot at the connector. I bet the outlet is not the issue, I say poor connectivity in the connector.

S

SunnySoStoned

As in check how much I'm using vs what the outlet is?
That outlet my lights are on is rated for 240v x 10A - 2400w. Going my the wattage of my lights 1 x se7000 and 3 x sf2000s that's 1300w so only 5.5A.
Hey mate,

Having the exact same issue with this model light. Searched to see if anyone else experienced this issue and here I am.

Was wondering what your solution ended up being?

R

rangabud

Hey mate,

Having the exact same issue with this model light. Searched to see if anyone else experienced this issue and here I am.

Was wondering what your solution ended up being?
Atleast it's not just me but, I haven't found a solution yet.
Also haven't heard from anyone with this light if theirs are hot or warm so I'm not sure if it's normal or not.
Spiderfarmer weren't much help, they just said to check for burn marks at the connection.
There wasn't any so they replied well it should be safe as the connector and wire are fire resistant. I call bullshit on that but idk, connectors a d wires should not be hot in my opinion.
I've just been running it at 80% and hoping for the best, my thermal gun says it's only 50°c so I don't think it will catch fire but it still worries me.

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
If a line gets warm, that's really showing you that you are at the limit of capacity. If it gets hot, you have surpassed the capacity.

R

rangabud

If a line gets warm, that's really showing you that you are at the limit of capacity. If it gets hot, you have surpassed the capacity.
Agreed. The weird thing is it's mainly the connector and a inch or 2 of the cord nearest the connector

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Agreed. The weird thing is it's mainly the connector and a inch or 2 of the cord nearest the connector
Can you take a pic of it for me? I'd like to see the connection and what you are talking about. Can you hold the connector? don't be grounded when you try, if its too hot to hold its too hot... could a child hold it without it being too hot for them.....if no then shut it down....

some connectors are bad and put too much weight on the connection separating the pins..creating heat.......

If it was mine and it was too hot for my likings I'd cut both ends off and splice them back together eliminating the connectors.......its just 3 wires..........and properly spliced you should eliminate the heat.....

shut off the power of course and it needs to be a good splice.....Or if I wanted to spend money then I'd replace the ends like an extension cord and buy male & female ends I've done it before on hps ballast connectors and just spliced led drivers connections together.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

As voltage decreases, resistance increases. When resistance increases, heat increases. So, I would check the voltage. Bad connections or long or under-rated extension cords can decrease the voltage. I use an inline meter to monitor the power. It's also useful for precisely setting the light level.

I would also not let the cord touch the top of the light.

R

rangabud

Can you take a pic of it for me? I'd like to see the connection and what you are talking about. Can you hold the connector? don't be grounded when you try, if its too hot to hold its too hot... could a child hold it without it being too hot for them.....if no then shut it down....

some connectors are bad and put too much weight on the connection separating the pins..creating heat.......

If it was mine and it was too hot for my likings I'd cut both ends off and splice them back together eliminating the connectors.......its just 3 wires..........and properly spliced you should eliminate the heat.....

shut off the power of course and it needs to be a good splice.....Or if I wanted to spend money then I'd replace the ends like an extension cord and buy male & female ends I've done it before on hps ballast connectors and just spliced led drivers connections together.
20221227 135745

There's a pic of the connector. No it's not too hot to hold, as for a child holding it yeah probably I'm guessing.

It's temp on the outside is around 105f to 122°f according to my thermal gun.

Thanks liking some of your ideas there.

H

Hazedayz

I just don’t feel like it should get hot though. I feel you worry and I’d go with your instincts. You could always run a fan to keep it cool but id definitely be on SF’s case and just keep emailing them saying you’re really worried it’s getting dangerously hot and sometimes too hot to handle.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
View attachment 1344155

There's a pic of the connector. No it's not too hot to hold, as for a child holding it yeah probably I'm guessing.

It's temp on the outside is around 105f to 122°f according to my thermal gun.

Thanks liking some of your ideas there.
Yes thanks, I wanted to see if it looked off color or If I could see any issues but it looks fine, Are you 100% sure its locked together correctly? pushed in twisted and locked with the white locking piece? It shouldn't be hot, warm yes hot definitely no

I don't like those long connectors anyways. I feel there's too much potential for problems with them. I believe the wires in these connectors are crimped together at the pins and with stranded wire its possible to have stray wires not crimped leaving the current to flow on fewer wires creating heat.

The only purpose of the connectors is to be able to separate the driver from the power cord to ease installation and not have 10ft of wire from driver to plug.......there should be limited heat...( if there was no connector there would be no heat )
It would be better to unplug the unit and splice in new connectors with both male and female ends, twist lock would be nice but not 100% necessary if you can support the connection so there's no fear of it pulling apart or tape the plugs together so they won't separate after you're done.

Timbo0716

Timbo0716

Hot connection are normally caused by poor connections which in turn cause heat. A connection using screws can cause problems throughout your circuit. Major reasons am ac outlet will burn.

B

Buds58

My plug on the se7000 is to hot can I replace the plug with a standard 3 pin 240v plugs from the hardware ?

S

SnoopingAsUsualI

Well, the plugs and other electric parts are tend to heat up. My soundbar feels hot on it's covering just from a regular work so I guess you don't have to worry unless you see it starts to melt

B

Buds58

Well, the plugs and other electric parts are tend to heat up. My soundbar feels hot on it's covering just from a regular work so I guess you don't have to worry unless you see it starts to melt
Thanks but I’d prefer to fix the problem before that happens

B

Buds58

Cords and plugs should not get hot. If they do they are under rated for the job. That or you have a problem with the outlet it’s plugged into.
What would you sudgest
Some one mentioned faulty driver
Hay I’m a carpenter not an electrician

Latest posts

Top Bottom