Sealed room and exhaust questions

• Thread starter StalkerAF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Hello all, this will be the second grow in my sealed small closet with an air space volume around 250 cubic ft. I believe the sealed room is possibly too well insulated and sealed very tightly which is causing some of the heat issues, mainly during the late flowering stages. I do not have room or ability for ac unit but I’ve been reading info on semi sealed rooms that utilize an exhaust fan that runs couple times throughout a 24hr period. I feel this might work in my situation?

I have a hlg 650R stuffed into this room which is causing some of the heat issues and there is also a co2 propane generator that not helping the heat situation... I thought about switching lights out but would like to explore exhaust options first.

I still would like to filter the exhaust air so I’m considering a standard 4-6” exhaust fan from ac infinity. Would you recommend a 4” or 6” to do this duty? Believe I really only need to pull a small amount of air volume few times through out the day to achieve this so I’m thinking the 4” would suffice. I understand I will be waisting some co2 when exhausting but I’m not worried about that as much as the heat issue during late flowering.

Let me know your thoughts and thank you!

DR.PNW

DR.PNW

Ac infinity is a great company.
One of the only companies to offer a controller for both Temp and Humidity combined,
as well as a speed control.
With this in mind; it is always better to buy more power than you need and dial it down,
rather than lack the necessary power to get your job done.
So, 6" over 4" is suggested.

You are on track with replacing the burner, they are considered obsolete in the current industry standards and have been exclusively replaced with compressed CO2.

Your other option is to run a small AC.

Comnconnection

Comnconnection

Hello all, this will be the second grow in my sealed small closet with an air space volume around 250 cubic ft. I believe the sealed room is possibly too well insulated and sealed very tightly which is causing some of the heat issues, mainly during the late flowering stages. I do not have room or ability for ac unit but I’ve been reading info on semi sealed rooms that utilize an exhaust fan that runs couple times throughout a 24hr period. I feel this might work in my situation?

I have a hlg 650R stuffed into this room which is causing some of the heat issues and there is also a co2 propane generator that not helping the heat situation... I thought about switching lights out but would like to explore exhaust options first.

I still would like to filter the exhaust air so I’m considering a standard 4-6” exhaust fan from ac infinity. Would you recommend a 4” or 6” to do this duty? Believe I really only need to pull a small amount of air volume few times through out the day to achieve this so I’m thinking the 4” would suffice. I understand I will be waisting some co2 when exhausting but I’m not worried about that as much as the heat issue during late flowering.

You should be fine with an exhaust, might be your only option if you have no other way to cool. Also, creating an outtake hole, but using the fan as an intake fan from the bottom, with blow up your room with a little positive pressure and will cool it more efficiently. The excess air will escape the outake hole, which can be cut in the upper corner of room. Also, your propane is burning your oxygen up in that small room, switch to c02 tank.

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Thank you all for your input on this matter.

I see your points and agree that the propane co2 system needs to be updated, I really don’t like the burner setup and it would massively benefit my space by removing it completely.

Currently I placed a small fan under the door area to lightly blow cooler air into the room. Leaf temp went from 98-92 degrees to around 84-88.

I happen to find a co2 marketplace deal nearby for sale. The system is 50lbs tank and titan control regulator for $300. I already have a ppm controller. Super vague question because of so many variables, how long would you expect a 50 lbs cylinder of co2 to last while running let’s say 800-1200 ppm?

Photos below show current status of my leaves. I believe it is heat stress related and lack of oxygen possibly?

Thanks again.

IMG 1341
IMG 1350
IMG 1349
The_Greenist

The_Greenist

I see your points and agree that the propane co2 system needs to be updated, I really don’t like the burner setup and it would massively benefit my space by removing it completely.

Currently I placed a small fan under the door area to lightly blow cooler air into the room. Leaf temp went from 98-92 degrees to around 84-88.

I happen to find a co2 marketplace deal nearby for sale. The system is 50lbs tank and titan control regulator for $300. I already have a ppm controller. Super vague question because of so many variables, how long would you expect a 50 lbs cylinder of co2 to last while running let’s say 800-1200 ppm?

Photos below show current status of my leaves. I believe it is heat stress related and lack of oxygen possibly?

Thanks again.
I could see hauling tanks around for a home grow being a real pain.

20 lbs tanks are heavy, I couldn’t imagine a 50 lbs tank.

This is a far fetched idea but if you could maintain a large batch of mycelium in the room it could release co2.

They sell little mycelium bags but if your serious about it you could probably inoculate a whole bin full yourself.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

switching to a tank will have a massive impact on room temperature for sure... than probably you will be fine, and probably will only need to exhaust at night, the whole night, to bring room to atmospheric co2 ppm and reduce RH.
People do timed exhaust during lights on sealed co2 rooms when there's phantom problems ocuring because too much formaldehyde gas building up in the room for example, at the expense of using much more co2/$$$ in the end, witch is not your case.
As an AC is not an option, the co2 tank implementation and exhausting the whole night could be the good way out.
having hot days rootzone temperature can also be balanced having cooler nights to even it out better.

Last edited:
StalkerAF

StalkerAF

switching to a tank will have a massive impact on room temperature for sure... than probably you will be fine, and probably will only need to exhaust at night, the whole night, to bring room to atmospheric co2 ppm and reduce RH.
People do timed exhaust during lights on sealed co2 rooms when there's phantom problems ocuring because too much formaldehyde gas building up in the room for example, at the expense of using much more co2/$$$ in the end, witch is not your case.
As an AC is not an option, the co2 tank implementation and exhausting the whole night could be the good way out.
having hot days rootzone temperature can also be balanced having cooler nights to even it out better.
Good information thank you.

Believe I may be experiencing an ethylene gas buildup from the co2 burner and is possibly causing the problem with my drooping plant leaves.

I turned the co2 down from1000ppm to 600ppm and have a small amount of fresh air be introduced.

IMG 1355
IMG 1357
DR.PNW

DR.PNW

Thanks again.
Keep in mind there is a deposit of usually around 200 on those tanks,
if you bring it back to where it came from you might get that money back when you are done with it.
50lb in a small room will go a long way, usually.
CO2 use is entirely dependent on how closed your loop is, frequency of exhausting, etc.
25lb tanks are standard.

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Keep in mind there is a deposit of usually around 200 on those tanks,
if you bring it back to where it came from you might get that money back when you are done with it.
50lb in a small room will go a long way, usually.
CO2 use is entirely dependent on how closed your loop is, frequency of exhausting, etc.
25lb tanks are standard.
Great information thanks!

I have a pretty tightly sealed room with some minor cracks under the door. My current propane burner with a standard tanks last for several of months. I am researching some exhaust methods for lights out time period, which I currently do not have set up.

As for the co2 control/monitor, I have a good one that I currently use with the burner set up, would it be best to use this for a tank co2 setup?

DR.PNW

DR.PNW

Great information thanks!

I have a pretty tightly sealed room with some minor cracks under the door. My current propane burner with a standard tanks last for several of months. I am researching some exhaust methods for lights out time period, which I currently do not have set up.

As for the co2 control/monitor, I have a good one that I currently use with the burner set up, would it be best to use this for a tank co2 setup?
CO2 controllers will control any electrical-based CO2 input unit; burner or tank.
You will benefit from dumping that CO2 for lights out, as at night, plants are searching for O2.

Keep in mind: ambient indoor CO2 is 500-600PPM, so unless you are running minimum 800PPM there is little to no benefit to running a CO2 generator.
Ethylene gas is lighter than O2, so it will have a tendency to rise, not that the science of gasses is so accurate when fans are involved...

Last edited:
StalkerAF

StalkerAF

CO2 controllers will control any electrical-based CO2 input unit; burner or tank.
You will benefit from dumping that CO2 for lights out, as at night, plants are searching for O2.

Keep in mind: ambient indoor CO2 is 500-600PPM, so unless you are running minimum 800PPM there is little to no benefit to running a CO2 generator.
Ethylene gas is lighter than O2, so it will have a tendency to rise, not that the science of gasses is so accurate when fans are involved...
Again great information thank you!

I’m going to make the plunge and purchase the gas setup. Especially since I’ve already spent the money on a co2 controller, powerful light, environment and everything else…I’ve gone too deep already like I do with all hobbies

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Again great information thank you!

I’m going to make the plunge and purchase the gas setup. Especially since I’ve already spent the money on a co2 controller, powerful light, environment and everything else…I’ve gone too deep already like I do with all hobbies

I do plan on installing a 4” exhaust for the top of the room area to dump co2 as your suggested, makes sense to me. Should probably go with the 6” but not sure I really have the space for it up there. I already have a 6” ac infinity fan with filler setup as a scrubber fan. it’s a fairly large unit but I just have it standing up on the ground.

Short video of the setup. Add the T7 humidifier which is an absolute beast and I’m pretty proud of the automatic water tank filler that keeps the T7 topped off. I live at 8400ft elevation so humidity doesn’t really exist. Also added UV lighting and a uv filter to help with any bacterial issues. Like I said, too deep!

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Update:

New co2 gas system up and running as of today! I bought a 50lb tank at my local grow shop that was selling for $150 so couldn’t pass that up. The tank fill cost $50 and found a titan regulator for $50 as well. All in all not to bad…

I still need to setup an exhaust system that I would like to run every 4-5 hours for a few minutes to dump out stale air. Or I might just exhaust at lights out?

Any suggestions on what controller to use for this style of exhaust I’m trying to accomplish?

Other than that, I was definitely seeing some light stress and dealing with a high ph in the water run off so I have been adjusting as needed. One day I’ll get this down haha!

Thanks

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Update:

New co2 gas system up and running as of today! I bought a 50lb tank at my local grow shop that was selling for $150 so couldn’t pass that up. The tank fill cost $50 and found a titan regulator for $50 as well. All in all not to bad…

I still need to setup an exhaust system that I would like to run every 4-5 hours for a few minutes to dump out stale air. Or I might just exhaust at lights out?

Any suggestions on what controller to use for this style of exhaust I’m trying to accomplish?

Other than that, I was definitely seeing some light stress and dealing with a high ph in the water run off so I have been adjusting as needed. One day I’ll get this down haha!

Thanks
you can test both ways of exhausting but the during lights on method will run a lot of gas, just make sure you have plenty of air flow during the days to mix the co2 back from the floor to the ceiling and move stale air.

1 inline centrifugal with filter on the floor blowing to the ceiling will do the job, put those at the corners of the room, i see you have one doing it, now its just fans to move the stale air around to refresh co2 around the leaves stomata.

at night time exhaust non stop.

Jeffdaman

Jeffdaman

I don’t use co 2 I have a 4 inch sucking in outside air and a 4 inch pulling on my cab I grow in. I also have an oscillating 6” fan inside. The plants do just fine

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Late update:

I have not installed an exhaust fan system but the switch over to the gas co2 system seems to really make a difference. Very pleased with the outcome and the harvest went smoothly!

I do plan on setting up an exhaust system to experiment with that.

IMG 1625
IMG 1630
IMG 1632
Top Bottom