Sealed Room Co2 At Night/ Need Removing?

• Thread starter bobby34
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

I've had my sealed room up and running in the basement for a minute now. I have an Auto Pilot controller with remote sensor reading CO2 levels 24/7 and I monitor both day and night. I do see my CO2 levels drop after lights out. They don't drop completely to normal levels but do drop to around 500-600 PPM and remain there throughout the night until the lights come on and the controllwer kicks the bottle on to take the levels back up to what I have it set to. I have not noticed levels rising over the dark period and I use NO exhaust at all, and my shit is sealed tight. MGG

OGsus

OGsus

Bump... I'm currently using the sentinel chhc-4 in my sealed room. Set at 1100 ppms right now. For some reason when lights come on the ppms are at about 2500+. If I'm not there when lights come on then the leaves on my plants are fried. Am I not doing something right??? Fuzzy logic mode is on. Anyone have an idea on why this is happening and what I need to do to fix it? I covered the lights on the probe with black tape, but left the sensor uncovered.. Anyone? Moses249's post about c02 raising by itself when lights are off has me wondering....

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

My CO2 seems to always be around 4--500 ppm when the lights come on in the morning. The only time I ever had it go any higher was when I was using an analog controller and it dumped a whole tank overnight...ppm's were over 7000 in the morning and the plants were NOT happy. Do you have your tank in the same room as the plants? Just wondering if maybe theres a leak?

Are you talking about the infra red light inside of the senor? MGG

ibesmokin

ibesmokin

Bump... I'm currently using the sentinel chhc-4 in my sealed room. Set at 1100 ppms right now. For some reason when lights come on the ppms are at about 2500+. If I'm not there when lights come on then the leaves on my plants are fried. Am I not doing something right??? Fuzzy logic mode is on. Anyone have an idea on why this is happening and what I need to do to fix it? I covered the lights on the probe with black tape, but left the sensor uncovered.. Anyone? Moses249's post about c02 raising by itself when lights are off has me wondering....
is your home,s water heater in your grow room?

Hookah79

Hookah79

I know this is an old thread but i started having issue within a week of firing up my burner.I had it set to 800 ppm but with lights off it would reach 950 or higher.

Leaves starting curling/lost moisture,turned to yellowish green.

Now the burner doesn’t turn on when lights are off but the room is sealed.Temps were upper 70s and humidity was in the 60s,ya i know it wasn’t in a good vpd range,but i believe co2 piles up when lights are off .I am pissed that my almost $400 Autopilot controller doesn’t have a setting where it shuts off co2 say like 60 minutes before lights off.

I stopped using co2 for this run and the plants are healthier again within a week.I think i am going to have to pull in some fresh air and exaust the stale co2 when lights go off to fully solve this issue.The ones that are not having this problem without setting timers on their burner before lights off dont have fully sealed rooms i believe.

P

PharmHand

I know this is an old thread but i started having issue within a week of firing up my burner.I had it set to 800 ppm but with lights off it would reach 950 or higher.

Leaves starting curling/lost moisture,turned to yellowish green.

Now the burner doesn’t turn on when lights are off but the room is sealed.Temps were upper 70s and humidity was in the 60s,ya i know it wasn’t in a good vpd range,but i believe co2 piles up when lights are off .I am pissed that my almost $400 Autopilot controller doesn’t have a setting where it shuts off co2 say like 60 minutes before lights off.

I stopped using co2 for this run and the plants are healthier again within a week.I think i am going to have to pull in some fresh air and exaust the stale co2 when lights go off to fully solve this issue.The ones that are not having this problem without setting timers on their burner before lights off dont have fully sealed rooms i believe.
Mine goes up to 3000ppm lights out/by morning. I have an autopilot too but I put it on a timer so it shuts off an hour before lights out. Still goes to 3k at night, I’m gonna put in a small exhaust for night. Plants still seem ok but there’s always room for improvement

H

heisen

I'm a hard core believer that sealed rooms need to have air exchange at least twice to 4 times a 24 hr light cycle.get out stagnant air and bring in fresh oxygen.

Hookah79

Hookah79

Mine goes up to 3000ppm lights out/by morning. I have an autopilot too but I put it on a timer so it shuts off an hour before lights out. Still goes to 3k at night, I’m gonna put in a small exhaust for night. Plants still seem ok but there’s always room for improvement
Unfortunately i run a dehuy thru the same controller so It’s not possible for me to rig a timer.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

uy had it right on a post when the thread first started. Plants Transpire when lights ON, they Respire, at lights off.

Using CO2 at night/lights out is similar to humans having to much CO2 or Oxygen in the air. Just as to much CO2 will kill any plant, and CO2 at the wrong time will only exacerbate it.

It CAN KILL YOU.
Id use air exchange every hour, on the hour. Or as often as possible. Constant air flow would be best. IMHO

Is 100% pure oxygen deadly???

Our blood has evolved to capture the oxygen we breathe in and bind it safely to the transport molecule called haemoglobin. If you breathe air with a much higher than normal O2 concentration, the oxygen in the lungs overwhelms the blood's ability to carry it away.

The result is that free oxygen binds to the surface proteins of the lungs, interferes with the operation of the central nervous system and also attacks the retina.

Contrary to popular myth, hyperventilating air at ordinary pressures never causes oxygen toxicity (the dizziness is due to CO2 levels dropping too low), but breathing oxygen at pressures of 0.5 bar or more (roughly two and a half times normal) for more than 16 hours can lead to irreversible lung damage and, eventually, death.

1 can logically assume to much of anything, isn't good. Add in the wrong time??

H

heisen

Unfortunately i run a dehuy thru the same controller so It’s not possible for me to rig a timer.
Buy a 50 dollar humidity controller.put your co2 on a timer or run an exhaust and intake to scrub the room 10 minutes before lights on.your problem will vo away

H

heisen

uy had it right on a post when the thread first started. Plants Transpire when lights ON, they Respire, at lights off.

Using CO2 at night/lights out is similar to humans having to much CO2 or Oxygen in the air. Just as to much CO2 will kill any plant, and CO2 at the wrong time will only exacerbate it.

It CAN KILL YOU.
Id use air exchange every hour, on the hour. Or as often as possible. Constant air flow would be best. IMHO

Is 100% pure oxygen deadly???

Our blood has evolved to capture the oxygen we breathe in and bind it safely to the transport molecule called haemoglobin. If you breathe air with a much higher than normal O2 concentration, the oxygen in the lungs overwhelms the blood's ability to carry it away.

The result is that free oxygen binds to the surface proteins of the lungs, interferes with the operation of the central nervous system and also attacks the retina.

Contrary to popular myth, hyperventilating air at ordinary pressures never causes oxygen toxicity (the dizziness is due to CO2 levels dropping too low), but breathing oxygen at pressures of 0.5 bar or more (roughly two and a half times normal) for more than 16 hours can lead to irreversible lung damage and, eventually, death.

1 can logically assume to much of anything, isn't good. Add in the wrong time??

Was this some copy and paste stuff?no one is gonna run a sealed room with co2 and than dump it every hour.thats crazy.only need a 5 min air exchange every 3 to 4 hours and put the co2 controller either on a photocell or on a timer.my co2 controller cuts off when lights go off and I empty the rooms air for 8 minutes and bring in new outside air.15 minutes before lights come on.
I air exchange again after 5 hours and than 10 minutes after lights out and everything is turned off.
To easy,

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

ONLY when lights are OUT would I dump the CO2, in favor of OXYGEN. Seems like the problem is CO2 building up when lights are out, and damaging the plants.

In reality, its just as important to get fresh oxygen flow at lights out, as it is to supply with CO2 vs lights on.

If you want to be really technical.

But I agree its crazy to dump COs when lights are on, unless the levels get to high.

Whats up with the copy and paste charge?

I also used to be a Mod at Serious Seeds ( Jethro ) when Simon first started in 2006, but I got busted, and sent back to federal prison for 2 more years. I also did 5 Fed before that, and 6 supervised release. almost 13 altogether.

I was also a mod for Dan Van Pot, who was the originator of BC God Bud when they won the cup, but they screwed him over, so he took the Original Male, and left them with an Original Cut, but he took the male.

He started a forum, I was a mod with Astra007, you can probably google him. He got me the job with Dan, and was from Canada, as is Dan.

Dan eventually got busted for selling seeds, and website shutdown, Astra007 got me a job with Simon/Serious Seeds.

Dan is the only person who I ever saw to have the PURE RHINO. Not White. It was South African.

But Ive been mucking/frowing around with this stuff since 1972, and started using fluro in 76, then in 77-78 they came out with a Halide that was used on Navy Subs to grow/experiment growing in subs for better self sustainability, but the bulbs were fragile, and they wouldn't warranty them in shipping.
^ months later they came out with the Super Nova, and the Octagarden.
I went hard from 78-97 until my partner ratted on me, and I had 1000 clones. Which is Mandatory Minimum 10-Life, and up to a $5,000,000 fine.

The when I got out in 2001, I went another 6, and next partner ratted me out in 2007, but the sentence and eligibility for parole for the state, was less than finishing my federal supervised release violation. ( state ) ran concurrent to my federal Supervised Release Violation.

But I never said to dump CO2 when the lights are ON.

I clearly stated they need CO2/lights On, and O2, when Lights Off, no dumping CO2 during light cycle.

Last edited:
G gnome

G gnome

On running co2 in a sealed room ive heard that if its not extracted at night it may cause the plants not to ripen as quickly??. Obviously the co2 is not administered at night but being a sealed room the residual may still hang around.

Interested in any info please
Thats a new one on me....

I'm a hard core believer that sealed rooms need to have air exchange at least twice to 4 times a 24 hr light cycle.get out stagnant air and bring in fresh oxygen.
Ur not the first person ive heard say they have problems when not exchanging the air at regular intervals when running a sealed rm. Alls i can say is i run a tightly seal rm and never exchange air. Also, fwiw, im usin a propane burner. Not bottled gas....my rooms environment is perfect and my plants r nice n healthy. Never had a problem....

Are u usin a burner?

Hookah79

Hookah79

Buy a 50 dollar humidity controller.put your co2 on a timer or run an exhaust and intake to scrub the room 10 minutes before lights on.your problem will vo away
I have some spare titan analog humidity controllers only problem with that is dehumidifier runs on seperate settings lights on/off so an analog controller will not work because i can only set to one settings.I believe blue prints controllers lets you cut off co2 burner before lights are off,which pisses me off because i assumed Autopilot would do the same thing since it cost me every pretty penny.
The other way would be installing a digital humidistat that allows day/night time settings.I run a 155 pint quest dehuy so it’s pulling around 7-8 amps.

But we could all agree that proper air exchange is necessary needed when lights are off.

P

PharmHand

Thats a new one on me....

Ur not the first person ive heard say they have problems when not exchanging the air at regular intervals when running a sealed rm. Alls i can say is i run a tightly seal rm and never exchange air. Also, fwiw, im usin a propane burner. Not bottled gas....my rooms environment is perfect and my plants r nice n healthy. Never had a problem....

Are u usin a burner?
Any idea what your co2 levels peak at in the dark cycle/ are at when lights first come on?

Hookah79

Hookah79

Any idea what your co2 levels peak at in the dark cycle/ are at when lights first come on?
The one time i checked it was around 950 960 but really there’s no telling it could have been more at one point.I only ran it for one week or so.

P

PharmHand

The one time i checked it was around 950 960 but really there’s no telling it could have been more at one point.I only ran it for one week or so.
Honestly that’s not even that high. I don’t think that’s your issue. Did the sick plants in question start out life in the sealed/co2 supplemented room? Do they eventually snap out of it and green up? Have a look at the color of flame on your burner. Is it perfectly blue? Any orange flickers to it? Anything other than blue indicates incomplete combustion which produces other gases as by product( carbon monoxide, ethylene etc). Dirty nozzles or wind on the flame can cause problems with burning. How newly built is your room? Anything recently painted? Any vinyl tubing in the room? Or spray foam insulation in the walls? Lots of things offgas. I think a lot of the issues people have w sealed rooms is due to offgassing

Hookah79

Hookah79

Honestly that’s not even that high. I don’t think that’s your issue. Did the sick plants in question start out life in the sealed/co2 supplemented room? Do they eventually snap out of it and green up? Have a look at the color of flame on your burner. Is it perfectly blue? Any orange flickers to it? Anything other than blue indicates incomplete combustion which produces other gases as by product( carbon monoxide, ethylene etc). Dirty nozzles or wind on the flame can cause problems with burning. How newly built is your room? Anything recently painted? Any vinyl tubing in the room? Or spray foam insulation in the walls? Lots of things offgas. I think a lot of the issues people have w sealed rooms is due to offgassing
The flame was blue,but i would smell a faint of gas while it fired up but it went away.I do have a good amount of foam insulation and some pvc manifold for a drip system that iam still working on.I also have some reflective panels,and rolls.I have panda film 36 feet across covering on side on a wall.I mean this isn’t my first run in this room ,but this is the first time i’ve had issue like this.

It’s a new unit but it has a ding on the housing i am not sure how it happened because it sat in the basement for a good 4 months in the box.Could it be that there’s a leak on the inside???The regulator is built in the unit.It’s an Autopilot adjustable 10 burner.

The plants have rebounded so if something was off gassing it would’ve showed in my last run and continued this run.I have had that room for a solid year.

This is what was happening right before I canceled that burner.

0DE730A5 2354 44A9 86DA DDE0741758B1
A8521414 D5C8 458B BC80 DA3F11BB048C
P

PharmHand

The flame was blue,but i would smell a faint of gas while it fired up but it went away.I do have a good amount of foam insulation and some pvc manifold for a drip system that iam still working on.I also have some reflective panels,and rolls.I have panda film 36 feet across covering on side on a wall.I mean this isn’t my first run in this room ,but this is the first time i’ve had issue like this.

It’s a new unit but it has a ding on the housing i am not sure how it happened because it sat in the basement for a good 4 months in the box.Could it be that there’s a leak on the inside???The regulator is built in the unit.It’s an Autopilot adjustable 10 burner.

The plants have rebounded so if something was off gassing it would’ve showed in my last run and continued this run.I have had that room for a solid year.

This is what was happening right before I canceled that burner.
I’ve seeN that before, maybe not quite that bad. It used to happen every time I’d move plants into my sealed flower room from a vented veg. Were they vegged in there? The sealed room I mean

Top Bottom