Second Attempt --- First Hydro

• Thread starter TMurr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TMurr

TMurr

My first attempt to grow was a failure. However, it was not a total loss. It was in soil and I have a light timer malfunction and all the plant went Hermie.

That being said I learned a lot while trying to save those plants and now i am determined to make it work. My second attempt is a RDWC and here are some of the basics:

1) Strain- Girl Scout Cookies
2) Grow Area/Room- 100 Sq ft Basement room Avg Temp 70 degrees
a)Concrete Floor
b)Water Spigot in room
c)Sump Pump in Room
d)No Exterior Framed Walls- 2 Concrete walls below grade and 2 interior walls
d)Dryer vent in room to outside
e)Three dedicated electrical circuits for Growing (1 for light 2 for fans and pumps)
3) Hydro System- 4 Bucket Fallponics System from PA Hydroponics
a)13 Gallon buckets
b)Full system to bottom of baskets is 52 Gallons
c)18 Gallon Top Off Reservoir with float valve
4) Tent- 5ft x 5ft x 6ft 6in Vivosun grow tent
5) Light-1000W HPS from Vivosun
6)Carbon Filter- 8x18 Filter with CanAm 6 in blower connected to a dryer vent to outside

Seeds are currently germinating

Second attempt     first hydro
TMurr

TMurr

It is now day 7. 4 of 5 have sprouted.

I am hoping the 5th will sprout soon but my system only has room for 4 plants so if it does not i will live. I have a few questions.

When should I start to see roots coming through the bottom of Rockwool?
What position should the vent openings be in the dome?
Should they still be getting water only? When do they start on nutrients?

Thanks for any advice.

20200829 113536
Growrx

Growrx

Once sprouted I would take the top of the dome off, keep
It is now day 7. 4 of 5 have sprouted.

I am hoping the 5th will sprout soon but my system only has room for 4 plants so if it does not i will live. I have a few questions.

When should I start to see roots coming through the bottom of Rockwool?
What position should the vent openings be in the dome?
Should they still be getting water only? When do they start on nutrients?

Thanks for any advice.
once they sprout I would take the top of the dome off but make sure they don’t dry out, they also seem to be stretching a bit so make sure the light isn’t too far. Don’t feed nutrients till your first leaves start to yellow a bit imo. As far as roots go, it should be within a week of sprouting that you’ll see your first root tip at the base of your Rockwool cube.

GreatWhiteShart

GreatWhiteShart

If i have plants germ, I open the vents fully after the last one pops. The RW needs to be damp.so the seeds can sprout.
Also, looks like you need more light they might be stretching for the light if its too high up.
After that,
Use a fan to give a light breeze to help the stems stress and make them stronger.

As far as nutes, I start them at 1/4 strength once I see the second set of true leaves(ribbed). Then the second week I go 1/2 strength, then full the third.
You will see roots after about a week, i use rapid start from genral hydroponics to help development.
I would not let the leaves yellow, just watch the plants, if leaves yellow its slowing growth and less energy for the plant to use.

Cheers

TMurr

TMurr

I decided to remove the dome instead of open the vents. This was so I could get the light a little closer. I hope that it is not to close.
All 4 plants have 2 ribbed leaves so waiting for 3 and 4 to appear.

These are now day 8

20200830 142941
TMurr

TMurr

Day 10
The one on the far right was slumped over this morning so i propped it up. I moved them to a better area to grow in and I think it got a little warm( 85F)

as you can see the the light is still close and I am keeping the cubes moist.
I also have a humidifier running but I am unsure of the RH
Fan is gently swaying them
Air temo is at 75F

20200901 122608
TMurr

TMurr

Day 17 The three remaining plants have been moved to the RDWC. One looks great! The other 2 not so much.

I am at 1/4 nutrient strength right now.

My only 2 concerns are that the Tent is a little warm 83-84 F
And the water is a little warm 72-73 F

other that that things are going well

20200908 152834
20200908 152848
20200908 152854
20200908 152914
TMurr

TMurr

The little one did not make it. Down to 2 plants now. However they both look good.
The only issue I am having is keeping water cold.

20200913 1909241
20200913 1909321
20200913 1909491
20200913 1910101
Growrx

Growrx

The little one did not make it. Down to 2 plants now. However they both look good.
The only issue I am having is keeping water cold.

Water temp is at 68°?
Iv been running temps no lower than 72° in my RDWC and they are growing no problem Hydroguard might also be helping my roots.

Growrx

Growrx

I believe your temps are fine, as long as you have plenty of bubbles and some type of beneficial in the water to be safe, or sterile if you’re going that route.

Your ppm on the other hand seem high for your babies.

Growrx

Growrx

I’m at about 325 Ppm’s with this one, including cal mag in every feeding, she was bent over to start my LST only 2 weeks old.

AB33934B F1F8 47D2 8E00 27C7311EEF9F
TMurr

TMurr

That one thing I don't understand

Mine is no where close to training. 2 weeks from seed entering rockwool?

Top Bottom