Second Grow and same issues with seedlings

• Thread starter Vb2flat2surf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

So here is a video I just took so you can see all possible variables. How hight lights are, strong they are, how fans are blowing, how much movement in plants, a PH reading (all around 6.8 though I'm watering at 6.15), how my humidifier is set up, how I have cups on crates for airflow, 6 holes on Bottoms of cups and 4 on the sides of each cup.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Imo 11,000 under the full spectrum is the high end for a seedling but should be fine.

Now I'm gonna go off and say something unpopular... for your benefit.... (see this??? Going out on a limb here to have my ass raked over the coals most likely)

So intensity is not why seedlings stretch and infact I have seen more seedlings under to much light intensity than I have seen under proper light intensity resulting in spoon many cases of stunting the plants and all sorts of other issues that lead them to chase ghosts.

Ok cars again for ya here.... TO LITTLE IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN TO MUCH. ITS NOT WORTH THE ABSOLUTELY NEGLIGENT INCREASE IN GROWTH TO RISK THE COST OF A HUUUUUGE LOSS OF GROWTH AND HEALTH. I have 2 times here EVER seedling stretch due to intensity and ill tell you why... both times the growers had the solo cups placed by the window as the only source of light.

🦺🧯🪖➰🚣‍♂️ ok survival kit in hand. Going forward here.

What causes seedlings to stretch?

1. Well genetics and contrary to most ppls idea of what stretch is in a seedling almost all of them I see are normal.

2. Spectrum... find a blue leaning spectrum for seedlings and they will stretch much less. Many prefer Florida tubes and I'd say anything above 4500k should be fine.

Why? They are not super intense like LED so much more forgiveness and they tend to lean much more to the blue side of the spectrum which will reduce internode spacing.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok I think these guys got ya all sorted. Put a couple long winded posts in here so I'll limit myself. You have some really good growers in here. Just soak up their knowledge and follow closely their advice.

Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

I feel like u just sat in front of my favorite college professor whose class I NEVER minded going to! I am fascinated by all of this information. I thank you beyond words man for not just helping me out but offering such awesome info for all yo know. THANK YOU !!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I feel like u just sat in front of my favorite college professor whose class I NEVER minded going to! I am fascinated by all of this information. I thank you beyond words man for not just helping me out but offering such awesome info for all yo know. THANK YOU !!!
Hey I learned most of what I pass along here. You have a load of super knowledgeable ppl already in here. This site is a one stop shop with so many knowledgeable growers that are willing to hand their time out free and help.

Take advantage and soak it up. These guys are all awesome

Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

I feel like u just sat in front of my favorite college professor whose class I NEVER minded going to! I am fascinated by all of this information. I thank you beyond words man for not just helping me out but offering such awesome info for all yo know. THANK YOU !!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I feel like u just sat in front of my favorite college professor whose class I NEVER minded going to! I am fascinated by all of this information. I thank you beyond words man for not just helping me out but offering such awesome info for all yo know. THANK YOU !!
If ya stick around you will see I was tought and a lot of us here learn together through healthy debates and discussions. I just put a fair bit of time (except lately as life is... well being life) get involved in the discussions, keep respectful, don't be afraid to challenge other views or opinions, remember the whole community learns from these discussions and debates. Thick skin can come in handy at times but put simply keep the personal attacks out and the rest goes. Do that instead of just post a question when ya need and you'll pick this stuff up so fast you won't belive it.

A grow diary will be your best source of learning and record keeping.

Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

I have kept a grow diary for both grows. And now comparing side by side I can see where I have most definetely been over watering. But it gets so tempting to water when the cups feel so light and tye soil looks dry. I feel like I need to add a day to when I "think I should be watering". Like I previously mentioned once I got to week 5 last time I was good. But I'm more curious to see if once I get tye seedling stage down, if indeed it will yield better results. People on her have most definetely been awesome.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have kept a grow diary for both grows. And now comparing side by side I can see where I have most definetely been over watering. But it gets so tempting to water when the cups feel so light and tye soil looks dry. I feel like I need to add a day to when I "think I should be watering". Like I previously mentioned once I got to week 5 last time I was good. But I'm more curious to see if once I get tye seedling stage down, if indeed it will yield better results. People on her have most definetely been awesome.
Ok I'll give you a couple things to fast track ya... remember less is always better. Now in the case of watering the ONLY applies to frequency NOT volume.

So you water to saturate the media, if organic amended no runoff if synthetic based then runoff but both saturated. Then let dry well...

let's say you let it dry to far... well then the plant will act like a 2 yr old. Its will look 10x worse than over watered but it's all smoke and mirrors and you'll see why I'm a sec here. Don't be afraid to let it start to droop before watering until you get N idea if how mong between watering That Said it is not good to underwater but in this case it's a instant way to learn watering and lose your fear of underwatering... see vid in thread here.

Read this it will drastically improve your understanding of interactions of the spil and water and what overwatering is.... SPOILER it's not to much water.

Reactions: TSD
TSD

TSD

@Aqua Man That's how I had to do it when I first started and was questioning my watering frequency, let it dry till it droops, then you know how long it takes to get too dry, then subtract a bit of time, and you're golden. That's basically the only time I water my poor houseplants, when they're begging for water... otherwise I'm infested with damn fungus gnats almost every time.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

@BionicKroniK hates fungus gnats. Anytime she sees one, she turns all Mission impossible on 'em.
Treat your soil with plant therapy, till it into the top 1/2 inch or so, treat again, then cover with a thin layer of DE.
That will get rid of them. Do an additional treatment with the PT 2 more times, 2 days apart.
Repeat 3 more treatments 2 weeks later to get all the eggs that had not hatched yet.

PlantTherapy
TSD

TSD

@BionicKroniK hates fungus gnats. Anytime she sees one, she turns all Mission impossible on 'em.
Treat your soil with plant therapy, till it into the top 1/2 inch or so, treat again, then cover with a thin layer of DE.
That will get rid of them. Do an additional treatment with the PT 2 more times, 2 days apart.
Honestly I don't know why I've never put DE on my houseplants, considering I have a 40 lb bag of it in my garden shed. 😆 What company makes plant therapy? I'll check Amazon.

Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

Update. Today I Transplanted them into 3 gallon mesh pots (Day 21) which is tye same day I did my previous transplant on my first grow. The plants woke up looking a little better. Now just gonna be patient and follow everyone's great advice

20211121 121431
Top Bottom