Second Grow - Organic SIP

• Thread starter MyGrowYo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Thought this would be a good place to document my second grow, and get some tips from more experienced growers along the way. Im growing in a Patio Picker from Canadian tire, which is just a 20x24 earthbox. It was really appealing to me because I could fit 2 in my 2x4 tent, instead of 1 earthbox in the tent. Trying to follow the Build a Soil way and give the plant a larger amount of soil, and potentially do 2 runs in these planters. I’ve gotten my soil from a local SS company called StepWell Soil, and they locally source their ingredients which I think is great.
and that’s kind of all their is too it, I don’t pH my water anymore, I just run tap water through a filter and water with it. I’ve also top watered the SIP once with recharge when I transplanted. I plan to only top water when I top dress and I’ll throw recharge in with it then.

I guess I’ll add that I’m growing with the sf2000 as well. I’ve really contemplated getting an sf1000 to max the space out, but figure I’ll make sure I can crush a grow with what I currently have before adding more pressure to the plant.

I had 3 plants going that popped out of the soil on Dec. 13th, and transplanted on the 28th, so 3 weeks old today.
38A41577-805B-4D8F-842E-CC5E295B5F49.jpeg
that’s transplant day.

Last edited:
MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

And this morning they were looking a little droopy so I added 1 gallon of water to the reservoir for the first time.
09C49BBA 16AF 4BD4 A982 98DAABCD5346
80D1679A 871C 4162 B48A FDE394474F23
I think their happy in their new home

P

PjMaC

You're going to love using SIPs. I really like the covers that came with the ones you got there..

I recommend using essential microbes (EM). You can buy and expand it,, or there's a simple DIY recipe with water, rice, milk and blackstrap molasses. It helps the plant and your reservoir at the same time.

I haven't done it yet, but the same DIY EM can be used to make bokashi. EM in the res and bokashi on top. I've seen the results, and now I'm just waiting on my new batch of EM to finish so I can make some.

Plants look happy and healthy. I got a chair pulled up to watch the show!

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

You're going to love using SIPs. I really like the covers that came with the ones you got there..

I recommend using essential microbes (EM). You can buy and expand it,, or there's a simple DIY recipe with water, rice, milk and blackstrap molasses. It helps the plant and your reservoir at the same time.

I haven't done it yet, but the same DIY EM can be used to make bokashi. EM in the res and bokashi on top. I've seen the results, and now I'm just waiting on my new batch of EM to finish so I can make some.

Plants look happy and healthy. I got a chair pulled up to watch the show!
thx for coming by!
I’ve been curious about EM1, are they basically good anaerobic bacteria to stop the bad ones from forming?

P

PjMaC

From my understanding, EM aids the transition from dead, composting material into nutrients that plants can easily access in the soil. By adding EM to your soil, you can speed up the composting process and help your plants to draw out more of the nutrients they desperately need. The microorganism in EM improves the health of the soil by breaking down organic material, fixing nitrogen from the air into the soil, and even feeding plants.

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

From my understanding, EM aids the transition from dead, composting material into nutrients that plants can easily access in the soil. By adding EM to your soil, you can speed up the composting process and help your plants to draw out more of the nutrients they desperately need. The microorganism in EM improves the health of the soil by breaking down organic material, fixing nitrogen from the air into the soil, and even feeding plants.
And it can just sit down there in the res with no issues? The one thing I was told about SIP when I started was clean water only below, and water any microbes and beneficial on top. Just because the res can get funky. But I’ve been looking into it for a bit now and your not the first person I’ve seen use em1 in the res, but the source wasn’t as reliable imo as the original person. Just some shaky cam on YouTube in a dirty grow kind of stuff haha

P

PjMaC

And it can just sit down there in the res with no issues? The one thing I was told about SIP when I started was clean water only below, and water any microbes and beneficial on top. Just because the res can get funky. But I’ve been looking into it for a bit now and your not the first person I’ve seen use em1 in the res, but the source wasn’t as reliable imo as the original person. Just some shaky cam on YouTube in a dirty grow kind of stuff haha
This may sound crazy, but the EM will actually help keep your res clean.

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Cool, I’ll pick up a bottle and give it a shot. Appreciate the info!

wanted to ask about top dressing as well actually. Do people generally recommend doing and early top dress to establish feeder roots? I feel like my plants are a little young for it now.

P

PjMaC

If your soil is on point, I don't see why you would that early. More experiences organic folks would probably be more help than me. I just give a healthy dose of mycorrhizal fungi at seed and transplant and use the EM when I water.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
And this morning they were looking a little droopy so I added 1 gallon of water to the reservoir for the first time.View attachment 1202525View attachment 1202526I think their happy in their new home
Nice looking plants! Buildasoil is the best are you suing their amendments? I have some craft blend I got on Black Friday that I’ve been using here and there but usually I use terp tea. Looking forward to see this grow what strain? The recharge is a game changer I love that stuff.

Reactions: stp
MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Nice looking plants! Buildasoil is the best are you suing their amendments? I have some craft blend I got on Black Friday that I’ve been using here and there but usually I use terp tea. Looking forward to see this grow what strain? The recharge is a game changer I love that stuff.
Im not using any build a soil products. I live in Canada, and shipping more than doubles the price of their products. Currently I just have gaia green 4-4-4 and 2-8-4. I thought I heard Jeremy mention shipping to Canada was coming in 2022, so if it does I’ll be first on board.

totally forgot to put the stain info. But these ladies are fem white widow from beaver seeds in Canada. Looks to me they are very diff phenotype, curious To see what comes out.

thx for cruisin by, tips and advice appreciated 👍

Last edited:
MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Well so far I love SIPs, and looks like the ladies do too, getting some natural bushing already. And looks like I need to add another gallon to the res tomorrow night, almost completely dry already.
E81E7B45 40DD 475D 9EE9 B7B7F0546382

520CF250 B461 494A 884D 4D89F45B4511
stp

stp

I am growing in earth boxes, 4th week flower. Mostly using Jeremy’s help, insight, and his products (BAS). All living organic.
Thought this would be a good place to document my second grow, and get some tips from more experienced growers along the way. Im growing in a Patio Picker from Canadian tire, which is just a 20x24 earthbox. It was really appealing to me because I could fit 2 in my 2x4 tent, instead of 1 earthbox in the tent. Trying to follow the Build a Soil way and give the plant a larger amount of soil, and potentially do 2 runs in these planters. I’ve gotten my soil from a local SS company called StepWell Soil, and they locally source their ingredients which I think is great.
and that’s kind of all their is too it, I don’t pH my water anymore, I just run tap water through a filter and water with it. I’ve also top watered the SIP once with recharge when I transplanted. I plan to only top water when I top dress and I’ll throw recharge in with it then.

I guess I’ll add that I’m growing with the sf2000 as well. I’ve really contemplated getting an sf1000 to max the space out, but figure I’ll make sure I can crush a grow with what I currently have before adding more pressure to the plant.

I had 3 plants going that popped out of the soil on Dec. 13th, and transplanted on the 28th, so 3 weeks old today.View attachment 1202523that’s transplant day. I

stp

stp

Cool, I’ll pick up a bottle and give it a shot. Appreciate the info!

wanted to ask about top dressing as well actually. Do people generally recommend doing and early top dress to establish feeder roots? I feel like my plants are a little young for it now.
When I packed my boxes, I mixed in a BUNCH of things to help carry it along. The same concept the earth boxes do with dolomite, I did that with a long list of stuff….filled boxes over full but knowing I still wanted to top dress one more time for flower later…

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

I am growing in earth boxes, 4th week flower. Mostly using Jeremy’s help, insight, and his products (BAS). All living organic.
Found your grow a few nights ago and read nearly the entire thread haha seems there’s actually quite the organic SIPs community here! Your definitely taking it to another level though. I’m sticking to the KiSS method for now

stp

stp

Well so far I love SIPs, and looks like the ladies do too, getting some natural bushing already. And looks like I need to add another gallon to the res tomorrow night, almost completely dry
Found your grow a few nights ago and read nearly the entire thread haha seems there’s actually quite the organic SIPs community here! Your definitely taking it to another level though. I’m sticking to the KiSS method for now
I wanted to KISS but I worry I’m missing out on something so they get a lot of treats!

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

I wanted to KISS but I worry I’m missing out on something so they get a lot of treats!
haha I totally understand, but i over fed on my first grow and got pretty bad N toxicity. its Been such smooth sailing so far I’m afraid to make a move. I’ll probly give them a light sprinkle of 444 next week before I top them, what do you think about just throwing some organic steel cut oats in with it? I feel like it couldn’t hurt at all, hoping to avoid the hard cake top layer

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Does anyone have an idea why this happened? Opened the tent and 1 of the leaves was flipped 90 degrees this morning.
E1C4BE1B FA8B 4C60 AE95 A2756687FB1C

56E120B6 292D 432D B1D3 7E43D18CF508
stp

stp

haha I totally understand, but i over fed on my first grow and got pretty bad N toxicity. its Been such smooth sailing so far I’m afraid to make a move. I’ll probly give them a light sprinkle of 444 next week before I top them, what do you think about just throwing some organic steel cut oats in with it? I feel like it couldn’t hurt at all, hoping to avoid the hard cake top layer.
haha I totally understand, but i over fed on my first grow and got pretty bad N toxicity. its Been such smooth sailing so far I’m afraid to make a move. I’ll probly give them a light sprinkle of 444 next week before I top them, what do you think about just throwing some organic steel cut oats in with it? I feel like it couldn’t hurt at all, hoping to avoid the hard cake top layer
Why oats? To feed the worms? I’ve not tried that nor have I even heard of that but I believe it. I use Kashi and gnarly barley for those, plus, living organic should get all your trimmings layed on top of the soil to decompose…but I will admit, in my Earth boxes I did not do this because of the plastic mulch layer. Also, I watched some videos last night and the reality of being able to recycle and re-use my no till living organic soil in these boxes is going to be difficult. Large root mass in the reservior, throughout the soil, Jeremy said the amount of soil in these boxes would get really depleted after one grow and would take a lot of input and work to make multiple grows work with the same soil…my plan was to amend and re-use. One of my boxes is just that, but it also had the two males in it and is now sitting decomposing waiting to re-plant.

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

haha I totally understand, but i over fed on my first grow and got pretty bad N toxicity. its Been such smooth sailing so far I’m afraid to make a move. I’ll probly give them a light sprinkle of 444 next week before I top them, what do you think about just throwing some organic steel cut oats in with it? I feel like it couldn’t hurt at all, hoping to avoid the hard cake top layer.

Why oats? To feed the worms? I’ve not tried that nor have I even heard of that but I believe it. I use Kashi and gnarly barley for those, plus, living organic should get all your trimmings layed on top of the soil to decompose…but I will admit, in my Earth boxes I did not do this because of the plastic mulch layer. Also, I watched some videos last night and the reality of being able to recycle and re-use my no till living organic soil in these boxes is going to be difficult. Large root mass in the reservior, throughout the soil, Jeremy said the amount of soil in these boxes would get really depleted after one grow and would take a lot of input and work to make multiple grows work with the same soil…my plan was to amend and re-use. One of my boxes is just that, but it also had the two males in it and is now sitting decomposing waiting to re-plant.
The oats just as a carb/sugar source for bacteria. I agree that no till just isn’t really an option in such a small container, it’s what put me off of a 2x4 no till bed. Wishful thinking on my part.

Top Bottom