Second Grow - Organic SIP

• Thread starter MyGrowYo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Officially week 4 since these ladies broke the soil. Thursday night I removed the first node and branching coming off it, and this morning I topped them both at the 5th node. Hopefully they take it well and in couple weeks I can start filling up the scrog.
I can see it’s just slightly damp down in the res so I’m going to let it dry up over the next 24h and then throw another gallon of water down there tomorrow. Not worried about it going to dry because the top soil is still perfectly moist, these covers are holding moisture way better than I thought they would.
660760C8 FA5F 427B 8CF5 1E5F069CB03C
F49D4C32 39CD 4FAE B2A0 4926BB098F20

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Officially week 4 since these ladies broke the soil. Thursday night I removed the first node and branching coming off it, and this morning I topped them both at the 5th node. Hopefully they take it well and in couple weeks I can start filling up the scrog.
I can see it’s just slightly damp down in the res so I’m going to let it dry up over the next 24h and then throw another gallon of water down there tomorrow. Not worried about it going to dry because the top soil is still perfectly moist, these covers are holding moisture way better than I thought they would.View attachment 1204693View attachment 1204694
Is that the best way to go about it? Let them dry out for a day once the water is gone? Looking good…

Reactions: PK1
MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Is that the best way to go about it? Let them dry out for a day once the water is gone? Looking good…
I honestly don’t know. My thought process right now is these plants aren’t filling up the pots with roots yet, and Any down in the res will air prune. Yesterday the shorter fatter plant was looking a little droopy, and this morning she looks happy, so I’m wondering if the water is sitting down there for too long before the plant can take it up.
what do you think? You have more experience with SIPs than me. I’m just following the build a soil advice, and I recall them saying they let the res go bone dry before topping up.

Last edited:
P

PjMaC

I don't know how the wick system is set up in yours. Is it similar to the one in an octopot?

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I honestly don’t know. My thought process right now is these plants aren’t filling up the pots with roots yet, and Any down in the res will air prune. Yesterday the shorter fatter plant was looking a little droopy, and this morning she looks happy, so I’m wondering if the water is sitting down there for too long before the plant can take it up.
what do you think? You have more experience with SIPs than me. I’m just following the build a soil advice, and I recall them saying they let the res go bone dry before topping up.
This is actually my first run with one. Watching Jeremy on buildasoil inspired me to try an earth box out. Ya that makes a lot of sense bc they do like a little bit of a dry down. I was hand watering the top for the first few days and then I filled the res for the first time.

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

I don't know how the wick system is set up in yours. Is it similar to the one in an octopot?
Never heard of an octopot, sounds fun.
These have 4 wicking corners. It’s just a half price earthbox haha

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

This is actually my first run with one. Watching Jeremy on buildasoil inspired me to try an earth box out. Ya that makes a lot of sense bc they do like a little bit of a dry down. I was hand watering the top for the first few days and then I filled the res for the first time.
Oh, you made it look so good I thought you had been doing it for awhile haha I think as long as the soil in the wicking corner doesn’t go bone dry it should be fine? Either way I’ll watch the plants and if they want a drink before tomorrow they’ll get one.

P

PjMaC

Never heard of an octopot, sounds fun. View attachment 1204699These have 4 wicking corners. It’s just a half price earthbox haha
Oh ok kool. I almost bout a similar one from Lowes I think. Mine is a net pot in the center similar to the octopot. I was going to say don't let the res stay dry but it may/may not apply to the way yours is set up. In mine the water roots grow right out into the res from the wick and drink to their hearts content while the feeder roots drink up the food.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Oh, you made it look so good I thought you had been doing it for awhile haha I think as long as the soil in the wicking corner doesn’t go bone dry it should be fine? Either way I’ll watch the plants and if they want a drink before tomorrow they’ll get one.
Well thank you I’ve learned a lot over this past year and have been doing pretty dam good but I’m always experimenting to find the perfect plant size, pot size, and training methods to implement for my ideal setup. I’m really liking the simplicity of the system but also like my drip system which you have to dial in unlike the earth box. I’ll be flowering her out soon when I get back from Florida so I have my pops looking after the gardens while I’m gone and the earthbox is the easiest for him to manage haha!

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Well thank you I’ve learned a lot over this past year and have been doing pretty dam good but I’m always experimenting to find the perfect plant size, pot size, and training methods to implement for my ideal setup. I’m really liking the simplicity of the system but also like my drip system which you have to dial in unlike the earth box. I’ll be flowering her out soon when I get back from Florida so I have my pops looking after the gardens while I’m gone and the earthbox is the easiest for him to manage haha!
You nailed it man, it’s just so simple. It takes away so many of the problems new growers have. While I learnt a lot on my first grow, I don’t think I can take much credit for how happy my plants are haha

stoked to see the grape gas flower out✌️

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Question for you guys, should I just remove those giant fan leaves so everything growing underneath gets light? Some have grown past but others aren’t.

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Well things still seem like their on auto pilot here. Noticed roots in both reservoirs on Thursday when I filled it up, curious what will happen today since the res is almost completely dry.
Im getting a little bit concerned about the plant on the right, she’s a good 3” shorter than the other and I’m hoping it doesn’t mess up my plans for scrog. Anyone have tips on making her stretch a little while not effecting The other?
85ABC5DC 3280 4A5E B5C9 76893E968E6A

stp

stp

Question for you guys, should I just remove those giant fan leaves so everything growing underneath gets light? Some have grown past but others
Trim the big leaves on the big plant and leave the small plant to see if that allows some catch up. I have one small and one big in the same box, bad move on my part. Next grow I will have all the same clones from one mom and that should help keep an even canopy.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Put one SIP on a plant elevator or something that will raise it a few inches. Looking good!

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Trim the big leaves on the big plant and leave the small plant to see if that allows some catch up. I have one small and one big in the same box, bad move on my part. Next grow I will have all the same clones from one mom and that should help keep an even canopy.
Yea I should try and get something set up to take clones so I don’t have to worry about phenotype.
Put one SIP on a plant elevator or something that will raise it a few inches. Looking good!
Yea I think that’s what I’ll do. The back two feet already have a peice of 5/8 I ripped off a 2x3 I had left over from my deck, so I’ll give them another week or so and see where we’re at, then chuck some 2x4 under it.

I also threw tinfoil underneath the shorter one haha while wearing my tinfoil hat

stp

stp

The reason that the earth boxes come with white or black mulch covers is to either absorb heat and Sun like in colder climates, or reflect it. That’s why I use mine white side up, to reflect as much light back up to the plant. Your black covers only absorb and if anything, heat up your boxes and dry out your soil faster. Maybe it’s not noticeable but if these were being used outdoors, that’s the reason for two different colors on the mulch covers.

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

The reason that the earth boxes come with white or black mulch covers is to either absorb heat and Sun like in colder climates, or reflect it. That’s why I use mine white side up, to reflect as much light back up to the plant. Your black covers only absorb and if anything, heat up your boxes and dry out your soil faster. Maybe it’s not noticeable but if these were being used outdoors, that’s the reason for two different colors on the mulch covers.
There’s no problem with the plant on the right, it’s just an indica leaning phenotype and has always had bigger fatter leaves, the top two might look like their drooping because I push them down every morning so the nodes underneath get direct light and grow up.
I top watered the soil twice after transplant in the first week and since then only put water in the res. The soil is cool to the touch and moist, while the cover doesn’t deflect light, it blocks the light and it does hold in moisture, not 100% obviously but water drops don’t absorb into it, they evaporate. It’s not just garbage lamdscape fabric. The tinfoil was to reflect light just up under that plant, and I said I was wearing my tinfoil hat because I’ve just heard that it can cause plants to stretch.

1F7E2B57 B744 479C B4AD D28FA5162731
MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

At least I don’t think there is a problem with her, she just looks like she’s growing in a diff way. does It look like underwatering to you?

Top Bottom