Second grow very large fan leaves

• Thread starter wizard122
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
wizard122

wizard122

Hi everyone. This is my second grow and my baby’s are 5 weeks ago and they have some very large leaves and they seem to be covering up a lot of the growth under. Would you cut them off or let them grow? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Second grow very large fan leaves

congolaw

congolaw

@wizard122 Big leaves are good. Large leaves are mostly due to genetics and proper nutrient and soil biology balance.

No, don't cut them for now. You need them for proper nutrient and light metabolism. Make sure lights are not too low and they will stretch up a bit.

wizard122

wizard122

@wizard122 Big leaves are good. Large leaves are mostly due to genetics and proper nutrient and soil biology balance.

No, don't cut them for now. You need them for proper nutrient and light metabolism. Make sure lights are not too low and they will stretch up a bit.
They just look like they are blocking out to much lite
20200901 063137

CF89

CF89

I’m in the same boat with mine

are they blocking light or are they providing massive surface area to absorb more light is my question.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I’m in the same boat with mine

are they blocking light or are they providing massive surface area to absorb more light is my question.
They are providing massive surface area for growth. They look great imo. The partially shaded light that hits the lower leaves has much more red spectrum which will cause those to stretch out from underneath looking for more direct light. Also I think night time temp difference and dark period have a big effect on node lenght as well as distance from the light.

Hard to tell with the blurble light but I would watch the tips carefully and make sure that they dont start making that "talon/claw" shape downward which would be a sign of too much N.

If anything it looks like it's time for them to get topped!! 😁🌱

Last edited:
CF89

CF89

I’ve had claw in both of my last two grows so far now... following the nutrient schedule though

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I’ve had claw in both of my last two grows so far now... following the nutrient schedule though
Yeah the schedules can never account for the strength of your light/conditions etc which have the most influence on nute absorption...Just go by how the plants do. If the leaves are really big and dark and soft and flimsy from too much N it may "look" ok but it's not ideal in my opinion.
At a certain point you would start to see yellowing from potassium or calcium lockout though

BudBogart

BudBogart

They just look like they are blocking out to much lite View attachment 1024127
Those big leaves ARE the light gatherers, not the light blockers. They are solar panels. To remove them so you get more sun is counter productive.
Maybe, once a plant has a big cola that is being blocked by a sun leaf you might move or remove the suspect leaf, but mostly leave them on until they are faded and gone. That allows the plant to use the nitrogen stored in the leaves according to some.

Top Bottom