Second Grow - Welcome to the Jungle

• Thread starter Terpz719
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Terpz719

Terpz719

Here we go. For this grow I'm mainly looking for some landrace goodness. Information on some of these lesser mentioned companies can be sparse, so I hope this helps some folks out. Honestly I don't find the early growth stages that interesting, so I'm starting with day seven after the flip. It's my first go with a SCROG setup, and it's going a little better than I anticipated. The girls are a little crowded. I kept them in veg longer than I planned waiting to be able to sex them via pre-flowers. I didn't want to chance flipping and reveging, so I waited. They were all started from seed, and are ±sixty days from striking. All were topped once except the Lebanese. which I left alone.

Here is the setup:

Coco / Perlite DTW
3 Gal plastic pots
500 W of LED (2 - SP250s) 20" from the canopy
RO Water
Megacrop, CalMg, Si - First time using Megacrop. I have a couple of issues with the MC, but I think it will work out.

Day 7

Img 0791   copy

Moving clockwise from the bottom left corner of the pic we have:

1 Lebanese - The Real Seed Company
2 Acapulco Gold Feminized - Barneys
3 Guerrero 76 - Swami Organic Seeds
4 Trainwreck Feminized - Humbolt Seed Organization
5 Mazar-i-Sharif x Pakistani Chitral Kush - Swami Organic Seeds
6 Columbian Gold - World of Seeds

Like this:
2 3 4
1 6 5

It'll be interesting, especially the Lebanese, which right now, with those huge fan leaves, brings to mind the saying all hat and no cattle. Time to harvest is going to vary wildly, but I like not having to harvest everything at once. I plan on updating weekly.

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
They look great, lovely and healthy. How are you going to set up the lights, are they enough for 6 plants?

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
I don't know much about the strains, but I know 1 SP250 can perfectly cover the 2 'x4' area 😊

Terpz719

Terpz719

They seem to be happy and are coming along OK. The stretch has been very manageable so far. This next week will be interesting. Their true vertical height is up, on average, about 100% since day 7. I'm really curious about the Lebanese (last pic); the fan leaves are getting ginormous for a plant that only stands 16" tall. Currently feeding EC 1.3 total once a day. I did run some Recharge, I had on hand, with the last batch of nutes.

It's taking a lot more volume to get run off, so I'll probably increase to two feedings per day pretty soon. Still working on getting a handle on the coco/feeding/volume/ppm/run off thing. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also about time for some defoliation. Tucking leaves isn't going to keep doing the trick especially concerning airflow. I have another fan on the way.

Will work on the white balance for the next update pics. There should be enough flowers starting to show by then to make it worthwhile to include bud shots.

Day 14

IMG 08381
IMG 0843   Copy

IMG 0841   Copy

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

They seem to be happy and are coming along OK. The stretch has been very manageable so far. This next week will be interesting. Their true vertical height is up, on average, about 100% since day 7. I'm really curious about the Lebanese (last pic); the fan leaves are getting ginormous for a plant that only stands 16" tall. Currently feeding EC 1.3 total once a day. I did run some Recharge, I had on hand, with the last batch of nutes.

It's taking a lot more volume to get run off, so I'll probably increase to two feedings per day pretty soon. Still working on getting a handle on the coco/feeding/volume/ppm/run off thing. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also about time for some defoliation. Tucking leaves isn't going to keep doing the trick especially concerning airflow. I have another fan on the way.

Will work on the white balance for the next update pics. There should be enough flowers starting to show by then to make it worthwhile to include bud shots.

Day 14

View attachment 947174View attachment 947176
View attachment 947175
Those fan leaves are fucking gorgeous! They definitely appear to be pretty heavy sativa. You might be in for a long haul. I wish you well with your grow! Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Terpz719

Terpz719

Those fan leaves are fucking gorgeous! They definitely appear to be pretty heavy sativa. You might be in for a long haul. I wish you well with your grow! Positive vibes...

~nugzz
Thanks! I know, right? Exciting to see some really different (for me) morphology.

Terpz719

Terpz719

End of Week 3. Not a lot to see. No big changes nute wise except I'm feeding 3X a day now. The run off pH issue I had posted separately about I think came down to not allowing enough run off and not feeding frequently enough. Thanks to all who replied to that thread, especially @Jimster and @Vagician for really getting me pointed in the right direction.

It's looking like the stretch is about done, with the Guerrero stretching the most. From what I had read, I had expected the Trainwreck to stretch more... It should start to get interesting from here - fingers crossed.

Day 21 - Overall
IMG 0900

Lebanese Bottom Right and Acapulco Gold Bottom Left
IMG 0898

Trainwreck
IMG 0907

Vagician

Vagician

😎 Thanks for the shoutout. I just want the world to have access the stankiest and dankiest.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
My experience with Trainwreck was that it didn't really grow too tall and had a thick canopy. I think the yield would be better if it could be grown a little taller, but it had a big flat canopy but not much under it. It was great in the end, but my yield was lower than expected... hopefully you will have more success. FWIW, I have 8 ft cielings in grow room, so it has a lot of room for growing taller, but just stayed shorter and very bushy. It was sticky as flypaper!

Terpz719

Terpz719

My experience with Trainwreck was that it didn't really grow too tall and had a thick canopy. I think the yield would be better if it could be grown a little taller, but it had a big flat canopy but not much under it. It was great in the end, but my yield was lower than expected... hopefully you will have more success. FWIW, I have 8 ft cielings in grow room, so it has a lot of room for growing taller, but just stayed shorter and very bushy. It was sticky as flypaper!
This was a fem from HSO. I really appreciate you sharing your Trainwreck experience! I'll take that over anything the breeders say. I'm growing it out for the girlfriend - she finds it almost a miracle cure for migraines - so yield isn't a major factor. Fortunately, she doesn't need it very often.

Terpz719

Terpz719

Growing in the time of corona... Totally missed the last update, and almost didn't bother with this one. Not so much because of the rona, just that I find this part of the cycle boring and a bit of a grind - make RO, mix nutes, feed, rinse and repeat. Now running Roots calMg, which is a no nitrogen (0-0-0) product. I had run out of General Organics (1-0-0).

I'm now growing in a grow chamber (hat tip to Dr. Bugbee) instead of a tent. I think it sounds cool, but the plants apparently don't give a shit. I am keeping it about five degrees warmer than I was a week ago - currently (75-78). The lights are now averaging 12" down from 15ish. I did some light defoliation, and had to bend and train the Guerrero (G76) because the canopy was getting way out of hand. I let one of it's branches in the back go vertical to see the extent of the stretch.

A couple of the girls are hating on me really bad. Six fairly different strains and the same nutes isn't the best way to keep everybody happy all the time. Long term, once I find the stains I like, I plan on dialing everything. I'll let them finish just to see. You never know what'll happen. The Lebanese seems to be not happy with the amount of N she is getting and the G76 is unhappy about I'm not sure what. The G76 is very odd in that I cannot find a single trichome on a leaf anywhere - very strange. It's pretty frosty on the calyxes, but nowhere else. I was so looking forward to this one in particular, even though this pheno looks to yield about like Grnispoon. Hopefully the other seeds will show something different.

All the plants went through a rough period of high rootzone pH. I'm not a 100% on why the pH rose to a worst case of +1.3, but it's under control now.

The pics were taken on day 35 of flower.

Overall
IMG 0988

Mazar x PCK in the front and Trainwreck in the back
IMG 0981

Columbian in the front and Guerrero in the back
IMG 0982

Lebanese front left and Acapulco in the back
IMG 0984

Mazar x PCK
IMG 0986

Trainwreck
IMG 0993

IMG 0992
Terpz719

Terpz719

I'm a little off the mark with this update too. I was aiming for weekly. This should have gone up on day 42, but here we are on day 44. Four out of the six strains are doing well. I may pull the Lebanese out early - it's not going to do anything - to make more room for the others. The Guerrero is doing VERY poorly. Again, not sure why - it's getting the same everything as the others. The pH problem may have hit it harder than the others.

No big changes since the last update. I've done a little bit more defoliation, and dialed the nutes back a bit. For the last week or so I've been running them at EC 1.3, with the input pH drifting between 5.8 and 6.0. I had been running EC 1.5-1.6, but the run off ppms kept creeping up.

BTW, now that I have had a little time with my first SCROG, let me list all the things I like about it - ah, I got nothing.

All the pics this go round were shot with my phone's flash on. Not trying to fake anybody out about the trichomes - just trying to get a better white balance.

Overall
IMG 1025

IMG 1026 Tweak

Mazar x PCK
IMG 1034

Trainwreck
IMG 1036

Columbian Gold
IMG 1033

Lebanese
IMG 1035

Acapulco Gold
IMG 1030

And my very unhappy Guerrero...
G76

Anthem

Anthem

I'm a little off the mark with this update too. I was aiming for weekly. This should have gone up on day 42, but here we are on day 44. Four out of the six strains are doing well. I may pull the Lebanese out early - it's not going to do anything - to make more room for the others. The Guerrero is doing VERY poorly. Again, not sure why - it's getting the same everything as the others. The pH problem may have hit it harder than the others.

No big changes since the last update. I've done a little bit more defoliation, and dialed the nutes back a bit. For the last week or so I've been running them at EC 1.3, with the input pH drifting between 5.8 and 6.0. I had been running EC 1.5-1.6, but the run off ppms kept creeping up.

BTW, now that I have had a little time with my first SCROG, let me list all the things I like about it - ah, I got nothing.

All the pics this go round were shot with my phone's flash on. Not trying to fake anybody out about the trichomes - just trying to get a better white balance.

Overall
View attachment 957107

View attachment 957108

Mazar x PCK
View attachment 957111

Trainwreck
View attachment 957113

Columbian Gold
View attachment 957110

Lebanese
View attachment 957112

Acapulco Gold
View attachment 957109

And my very unhappy Guerrero...
View attachment 957106
This is one of the challenges when you grow so many strains at once. The needs of each is different and will reflect in the manner you are seeing. Hope it all turns out well!!!

Terpz719

Terpz719

Guerreo looks a bit overfed, but everything looks great!
Thanks! It wouldn't be a keeper pheno anyway because of the almost total lack of trichomes, but that just comes with landraces. It's a real grab bag.

Terpz719

Terpz719

This is one of the challenges when you grow so many strains at once. The needs of each is different and will reflect in the manner you are seeing. Hope it all turns out well!!!
Thanks! I knew what I was in for after my first grow with just two different strains going. Once I get some favorite strains I'll make more of an effort dialing everything in.

Terpz719

Terpz719

Day 56

Man, I really let this journal go... I ended up pulling the Lebanese out on day 47 because it was doing nothing. I mean nothing. I think it is mostly hemp or something. I pity the poor farmer trying to make hash from it. He would go broke. - hardly any flowers, almost no trichomes, and couldn't find a single stalked trichome anywhere... I've got it out as a houseplant for now because it is so interesting looking. I'll see about posting a pick of it later. I'm still not sure what is up with the Guerrero, so as an experiment I pulled it too, severely topped it, and am trying to reveg it.

Nothing has changed in terms of environment and nutes since my last entry on day 44. Based on my read of the trichomes it was looking like Mazar x PCK was going to come down first followed by the Acapulco Gold, the Columbian, and finally the Trainwreck. After checking the AG right before lights out last night, I was like oh shit this needs to come down now. So I took the top half of the plant this morning. I had never done a partial harvest before. The trikes on the lower half of the plant were 95% clear, so the bottom half went back in the tent. Lots of first times this grow - Megacrop, SCROG, revegging, and now a partial harvest. Learning a lot through experience and as always from the good folks here at the Farm.

So, I'm really wondering if the Acapulco Gold from Barneys is even Mexican. Day 56, the growth pattern, and purple coloring that was starting to show makes me wonder if it's genetics have anything to do with Mexico at all. *** I welcome feedback from anyone who has experience growing Acapulco Gold ***

I was totally not ready for this, so I only grabbed three pics. I had planned on setting up some lights, and using a real camera for glamor shots as I pulled them out on harvest day. Plans... LOL.

Acapulco Gold - Day 56. Overall plant height was 34". The cola pictured is 13"
AGF Plant

Inside with flash
AGF Bud Inside

Outside no flash
AGF Bud Outside

growsince79

growsince79

I don't know much about the strains, but I know 1 SP250 can perfectly cover the 2 'x4' area 😊
Your add on Amazon says the sp 250 can replace 2000w HPS. That's a 7x 7' area.

• INCREASE YIELD & CROP QUALITY IN LED GROW: Newest SMD LED technology provide highest PAR/LUMEN output(925umol@18"), designed to replace a single-ended 2000watt HPS; makes you get 30% higher yield compare OLD blurple led lights, Max 2.5g yield per wattage (power draw)
Tell your partners to stop the lies!

Latest posts

Top Bottom