Second year grower, just found a few buds with bud rot and need help

• Thread starter Lbelle1311
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lbelle1311

Lbelle1311

Okay so I found a few buds with rot on them right on the top bud it's underneath the top top bud should I remove the entire top which is as big and wide as a coke bottle to be safe or just take the infected buds off which I think I got all of them. Please help been spraying everyday with lost coast for pm gnats and it says bud rot please help me with what to do don't wanna lose this whole beautiful girl if I can help it

Ponky

Ponky

Okay so I found a few buds with rot on them right on the top bud it's underneath the top top bud should I remove the entire top which is as big and wide as a coke bottle to be safe or just take the infected buds off which I think I got all of them. Please help been spraying everyday with lost coast for pm gnats and it says bud rot please help me with what to do don't wanna lose this whole beautiful girl if I can help it
Bud rot happens with big buds. Advances rapidly. Once you find it that yield is only going down. Which is why my solution is to trim it immediately. Break down every bud. Discard any sick buds. Scissor trim it. Dry it with fans on it. Quick dry. Lots of people will advise advise to do this and that. Not worth it. If it develops bud rot get a new cultivar for the next grow. Bud rot is so fast. You can still save a lot of it if you start now. Longer you wait the further the sickness spreads. At least 2" of material above and below rot has to be discarded. But.... verify your bud rot with an image first.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Tug on every fan leaf that sticks out of a cola. Does it come out easily? If so, there's almost certainly bud rot in there, and you have to break into that bud or cola, too.

It sucks, as it is always the biggest, fattest colas.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I think I found this on my already sickly plant today which I thought was at least growing decent flowers. I’m a first timer, outdoors from clones. I just pulled them having no idea and I did inspect inside the bud and didn’t see anything. What was your final solution? They aren’t ready. I don’t know how to save them.

mrweedwolf

mrweedwolf

do you know the cause? usually in this time of the year bud roots happen because the Pieris brassicae (i don't know the english name so i use the latin)
try to check if there are this green caterpillar inside the mould, you can also check at the dusk shaking the plant if some white butterfly flight away.

this little bastard poo on the bud and create mould.

to remove them spray the soon as you can a products with Spinosad inside (just check a commercial name in you country, it's allowed in organic farming)

then every week till the harvest use the bacillus thuringiensis, it's allowed in organic farming too

as someone suggest before remove all the mould

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I chopped mine yesterday. I had about 3 weeks to go but I’ve learned so much I needed to know in just the last 3 days of mania with these girls. I am really bummed out over it. I wet trimmed and inspected. I think I got it before it went everywhere but still concerned it will pop back up in the drying. I took them all because before I saw it I was just looking at them and going between the 4 of them, touching spots etc. I’d probably spread it myself because I didn’t know what I was doing. Lesson well learned. Now I’m wanting to go indoors. Just a small budget setup. I don’t know if I can afford it but maybe I can cobble stuff together.

Ponky

Ponky

I chopped mine yesterday. I had about 3 weeks to go but I’ve learned so much I needed to know in just the last 3 days of mania with these girls. I am really bummed out over it. I wet trimmed and inspected. I think I got it before it went everywhere but still concerned it will pop back up in the drying. I took them all because before I saw it I was just looking at them and going between the 4 of them, touching spots etc. I’d probably spread it myself because I didn’t know what I was doing. Lesson well learned. Now I’m wanting to go indoors. Just a small budget setup. I don’t know if I can afford it but maybe I can cobble stuff together.
Well. It happens. A basic 5x5 with a 600w and a fan setup isn't that much money. You can drop a couple pounds in it. And with a supplemental 2x4 tent you can pre veg and have 5 or 6 crops a year. Easily do it for under 500. Simple 1 part and some promix. Budget grows work.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Well. It happens. A basic 5x5 with a 600w and a fan setup isn't that much money. You can drop a couple pounds in it. And with a supplemental 2x4 tent you can pre veg and have 5 or 6 crops a year. Easily do it for under 500. Simple 1 part and some promix. Budget grows work.
Thank you! I’ve seen the tent prices and I can do that. I will need exhaust though as I live in the downstairs apartment (cheaply) & mom, who also uses medicine and concentrated CBD will not go for big odor. lol. She does have a few rules. But she’s given the ok as long as I pay the uptick in utility.

So far she’s ok with the odor from the drying. It’s only been about 15 hours. I don’t think it’s up there. Haha.

could I make it work with one tent? If the yield per is enough, I really can get away with less harvests. I know how much medicine I use per month. The 2x4 would need another light, but smaller? Not really an odor issue with veg? Sorry so novice. I could ask all day. I think the first think I need to do is write it out. What yield I hope for and what products to purchase. Your price tag gives me hope. I was thinking it would be 3-4K. I don’t need fancy. The more I have to do myself for them the better. It will be good for me to learn among them and help them help me.

Last edited:
SC69

SC69

Supporter
Space is an issue for the 5x5 and a 2x4. Now that I’m thinking about the room I’m considering I’m worried because there are angled ceilings (nobody knows why) I’ll have to fit the height. The only other room is the basement and while it’s dry and pretty temp consistent, I don’t think my fresh air intake should be basement air. Something about it bothers me. Mom and I had this discussion. She think I’m crazy and it’s the same down there as rest of house. It isn’t. I do smell a bit of mustiness. It flooded really badly in 2011 from IRENE. I straight bleach scrubbed every surface. Walls and floors, 3 times. I made myself sick. But no mold grew. It will get naturally humid, we are in NY but the dehumidifier keeps it ok. The temp in winter is probably 60-65. I do have heaters but would hate to run them so much unattended. So much to consider. A 2x4 I can put in my room. The tv can come out. It hasn’t been turned on in years.

Ponky

Ponky

Space is an issue for the 5x5 and a 2x4. Now that I’m thinking about the room I’m considering I’m worried because there are angled ceilings (nobody knows why) I’ll have to fit the height. The only other room is the basement and while it’s dry and pretty temp consistent, I don’t think my fresh air intake should be basement air. Something about it bothers me. Mom and I had this discussion. She think I’m crazy and it’s the same down there as rest of house. It isn’t. I do smell a bit of mustiness. It flooded really badly in 2011 from IRENE. I straight bleach scrubbed every surface. Walls and floors, 3 times. I made myself sick. But no mold grew. It will get naturally humid, we are in NY but the dehumidifier keeps it ok. The temp in winter is probably 60-65. I do have heaters but would hate to run them so much unattended. So much to consider. A 2x4 I can put in my room. The tv can come out. It hasn’t been turned on in years.
The basement is ideal. And just run your fresh air in from a window. Build a box to mount furnace filters to. And draw through that. Plus the CO2 levels might be better down there. How high is the roof? And can you put the 5x5 down there and keep the 2x4 in another room? Easier to do that.

Ponky

Ponky

The 5x5 needs the best temperature control. And the 2x4 can just veg and mother. Less important than the flowering side. Can be hotter.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
The basement is ideal. And just run your fresh air in from a window. Build a box to mount furnace filters to. And draw through that. Plus the CO2 levels might be better down there. How high is the roof? And can you put the 5x5 down there and keep the 2x4 in another room? Easier to do that.
I could put the 2x4 in another room yes. But I’d need a whole other set up for it, right? Lights, exhaust? I need to do everything I can to keep all costs low. I’ll have to check the ceiling but at least 8 feet I would guess. There is a room upstairs I’ve also been given permission to use, after, and only after I sell her treadmill which is in there. lol. The thing about the basement is the furnace is off most of the day as we have wood stoves for heat. I’m in the NE so I can’t use the cold air from outside, right? There are windows to be used. I know one will be an exhaust. If I say something that makes zero sense it’s the novice in me. I’m here to learn and know many of you can and will teach/help. ✌️

Ponky

Ponky

I could put the 2x4 in another room yes. But I’d need a whole other set up for it, right? Lights, exhaust? I need to do everything I can to keep all costs low. I’ll have to check the ceiling but at least 8 feet I would guess. There is a room upstairs I’ve also been given permission to use, after, and only after I sell her treadmill which is in there. lol. The thing about the basement is the furnace is off most of the day as we have wood stoves for heat. I’m in the NE so I can’t use the cold air from outside, right? There are windows to be used. I know one will be an exhaust. If I say something that makes zero sense it’s the novice in me. I’m here to learn and know many of you can and will teach/help. ✌️
The smaller 2x4 uses a lot less costly fan and lights. And you use it to get the plants ready to go into the 5x5. You don't need to do it. But it saves you 35% or more on time. And let's you have a mother to clone from. Thats all. Seeds and a 5x5 are plenty for the most part. I use an Inkbird temperature controller. They're a sponsor here. You can hook that to the fan and it can draw in cool air from outside to cool things down. And if it's too cold it will shut off the fan. It can also run a small heater. (The smallest kind).
Cool fresh air from outside with an air filter and a duct fan is perfect. Ideal even. You could also use a ducted light and run the air from another room over it and it can blow hot air in the house or outside. You're limited by power. So one 600 and fans is about what you want on one room circuit. 1000 watt hps max.

But if you share your growing goals we can probably narrow it down to the items you want. How much it will cost and how to set it up. 500 or so covers a tent, quality light and fans and ducting. 100 more for pots, soil and food. Depending where you live.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I need probably 2 ounces a month which would include moms usage which is less. Of course of a higher quality, I’d use less, but likely not much. That’s probably the most realistic place to start. I was going to say one to 1.5 but almost forgot mom. So, it’s probably a good place to start. I wouldn’t waste it, would cook it down for foods and anything extra would go as gifts to closest friends and family. It would make me a hero. Shelf life is 12 months after cure? I live in the capitol district area (Albany) of NY. About 15 miles west. Thanks so much for this.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Indoors can be done for a good price. I spent about 200$ for this little 2x2 setup. Currently have 3 lemon kush clones under a kingbrite 240 watt led.
3B4FA5F2 3647 431D B5C0 E434302060DF
42E81207 6D57 4856 AE4A 75C20E47CEA8

SC69

SC69

Supporter
If all that fits in a 2x2 I don’t need anymore than that. It’s going to depend on strain and yield, I know but I’m sure that’s going to produce much more than I need. It will take a bit with initial grow and curing but I should be able to get into an easy cycle. I’d probably get the 5x5 or maybe a 4x4 tent so I have room to move around, add more if I want etc. Thank you for this. I figured 2-3 plants would be plenty.

Last edited:
Ponky

Ponky

I need probably 2 ounces a month which would include moms usage which is less. Of course of a higher quality, I’d use less, but likely not much. That’s probably the most realistic place to start. I was going to say one to 1.5 but almost forgot mom. So, it’s probably a good place to start. I wouldn’t waste it, would cook it down for foods and anything extra would go as gifts to closest friends and family. It would make me a hero. Shelf life is 12 months after cure? I live in the capitol district area (Albany) of NY. About 15 miles west. Thanks so much for this.
Ok thats not bad at all. You can easily get that.

Here's a basic tent. ^

Basic but effective light ^

Light fan ^ (20 bucks off) and air intake fan. Might want 2.

Cheap filter combo ^

And buy yourself an inkbird thermostat for the tent.

With soil, pots, basic food and these items I'm guessing under 750 bucks. And you should reach your goal for the year in 3 to 4 months. Giving you lots of time to dial in the grow.

Next you need some seeds or clones.

I recommend ProMix HD. And either floranova grow and bloom. Or powdered maxigrow and maxibloom. Not to pricey. A cube of promix can full 7x 5 gallon pots.

This is the basic, classic grow. Cheap to start. Will yield well. And is as simple as you can get. There is more to it. But if you have the space for a 5x5 use it. It's like an aquarium. Bigger is better.

What kind of weed do you enjoy? Some guys here have fire genetics and can tell you where to buy the seeds. So you don't get lousy genetics. It can be stressful when you grow a nice looking plant and it's not good.

Ponky

Ponky

I'd say it's better to get the bigger tent. So when you're growing you can shut down if it's too hot in the summer. And if you ruin a crop you will have backup some. And you can use cheap HPS lights. Even a small light in a big tent is better. Extra weed is a great thing.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I have access to clones and this is cheaper than I thought. I probably could do the other tent. To be honest, I’m completely willing to put them in my bedroom, and take everything else out Haha. So, they’ll find a home. My other concern is monthly cost but I’m currently at a minimum of $500 a month for medicine. Moms like $250. I know it all runs for a lot less than that. 🤣🤣🤣. Will be hard at first but once the first crop is in, and cured, I’ll be good. Going to look at these products. Quick unrelated question… is this more rot or just brown pistils?

A32B5EDC 6D19 494A 9904 6D19527A7DCB
EF62A3D3 8C87 4238 A45F 783907EA5573
Top Bottom