Security Cam Recommendation

• Thread starter GrowBros
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dr.Boots

Dr.Boots

Additional note: we disable IR LEDs in commercial flower rooms. We've had reports that the IR emissions from the LEDs can cause herms in the adjacent plants-- though I have not seen direct evidence of this myself. With IP cams, you simply drill down to the camera's web interface and disable the IR; nearly all of them have that feature. If you have an analog camera, you can mask the IR section of the camera face with some electric tape to block the light emissions.

1816 House

1816 House

I do not recommend any home camera systems, as these are not appropriate or compliant for a secured commercial facility; I might consider using some of those models in a home grow in a limited way. My home system is a Hikvision NVR with 8 x 3 MP IP cameras running continuously at 2048 x 1536 resolution, which gives me a bit less than two weeks on the 4 TB HD. The level of detail in the video is ridiculous.
^^ All of what he said above. Hikvision is the way to go. Most of these other budget IP cameras and apps are buggy as hell, overheat, need to be reset, comical security ,etc.
I used to install commercial TV and camera systems, most of these coax/dvr systems with real optics are still more reliable than budget IP cams. The ones that work want to lock you into $30-$100 month data plans.
You can also re purpose old android phones or a rasberry /wifi /power supply..inside 2 liter soda bottles or hid in birdhouses for outdoor use...sneaky and cheap.:ninja:

Dr.Boots

Dr.Boots

^^ All of what he said above. Hikvision is the way to go. Most of these other budget IP cameras and apps are buggy as hell, overheat, need to be reset, comical security ,etc.
I used to install commercial TV and camera systems, most of these coax/dvr systems with real optics are still more reliable than budget IP cams. The ones that work want to lock you into $30-$100 month data plans.
You can also re purpose old android phones or a rasberry /wifi /power supply..inside 2 liter soda bottles or hid in birdhouses for outdoor use...sneaky and cheap.:ninja:

You are spot on about the older cams being more reliable than current low cost IPs. We have old analog gear in the field that's been running for years; I've never seen a cheap IP cam last more than two to five years, much less outside-- first the IR LEDs go, then the power mosfets, and you have a brick. And their interfaces are just atrocious. For many folks, a DVR is still the best bet in terms of economy and ease of use-- especially with new HD-TVI DVRs and cloud options. They are definitely easier to use than an NVR.

I like trail cams as well; they can be really useful for growers, and there are lots of options for hunting supplies.

sixstring

sixstring

i have been using a q-see 16 cam dvr system for a good 4 years now maybe 5 no problems at all.have also had the app on 3 different droid phones and my pc's.no problems with the ir lights in my flower room i have a few cams mounted in there and they all run 24/7 . just picked up a lorex system pretty much same setup with a dif name on the box,plus the new cams are 1080p hd but the other 760p cams are pretty damn clear even at night up to about 70 feet. these dvr will record all the cams for about 25 to 26 days non stop.kinda cool to look back several weeks if needed.nice to see exactly when my helpers show up when im away. think i like the q-see app slightly better than the lorex app but alot of that is im more familiar with the older q-see app.

Dr.Boots

Dr.Boots

i have been using a q-see 16 cam dvr system for a good 4 years now maybe 5 no problems at all.have also had the app on 3 different droid phones and my pc's.no problems with the ir lights in my flower room i have a few cams mounted in there and they all run 24/7 . just picked up a lorex system pretty much same setup with a dif name on the box,plus the new cams are 1080p hd but the other 760p cams are pretty damn clear even at night up to about 70 feet. these dvr will record all the cams for about 25 to 26 days non stop.kinda cool to look back several weeks if needed.nice to see exactly when my helpers show up when im away. think i like the q-see app slightly better than the lorex app but alot of that is im more familiar with the older q-see app.

When you find a cheap system that works for you, declare victory and keep using it! There are some good deals to be had as new tech appears and prices drop on old gear. I've found the key to these systems is useability-- you have to be able to access them quickly and reliably, get around the menus with ease, and search and download footage without hassle. If your system does this well, that's almost more important than the specs of the cameras-- and it's usually the distinction between well built and poorly built systems. I've been happily surprised by the quality of Lorex gear, and it is a consumer level package system. That said, for me, the power and flexibility of a good IP system is just unbeatable-- custom alerts, multiple video streams that can be sent anywhere, and modern, updated security features.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I'm off grid so anyone have a recomendation for game cams? Would like something with motion day/night loop recording and remote on /off to save batteries. Needs to be all weather!

sixstring

sixstring

all the newer game cams will do pretty much all of what you want.they are all weather as well.if money is no object there are a bunch that can be accessed live from your cell phone to review or delete photos,but those start at about 500.00 i use cabelas brand cams,middle of the road 10 mp color photos.they run about 140.00 each

Dr.Boots

Dr.Boots

all the newer game cams will do pretty much all of what you want.they are all weather as well.if money is no object there are a bunch that can be accessed live from your cell phone to review or delete photos,but those start at about 500.00 i use cabelas brand cams,middle of the road 10 mp color photos.they run about 140.00 each

The Cabelas cams are nice; I have a pair that have been in use for two years now with no issues. There's a newer model out now, and the resolutions are better on those. With trail cams, placement is everything-- you need coverage but also concealment, which is always a challenge.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
The Cabelas cams are nice; I have a pair that have been in use for two years now with no issues. There's a newer model out now, and the resolutions are better on those. With trail cams, placement is everything-- you need coverage but also concealment, which is always a challenge.
My bud bought a cabela cam 140ish... didnt know how to install or work the motherfucker hahahah... i got this for same price

His tab was 190 with 4 year warranty, 32 gig harddrive and 2 night vision and monitor. ... i get deals... pm me

I can get cheap trail cams and remote battery cams too.

IMG 20170926 071116 948
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I
Additional note: we disable IR LEDs in commercial flower rooms. We've had reports that the IR emissions from the LEDs can cause herms in the adjacent plants-- though I have not seen direct evidence of this myself. With IP cams, you simply drill down to the camera's web interface and disable the IR; nearly all of them have that feature. If you have an analog camera, you can mask the IR section of the camera face with some electric tape to block the light emissions.
Have never had an ir herm a plant... but im sure it can happen... i also like to tap off about half the irs so it doesn't flash as bad on someones oily face

Dr.Boots

Dr.Boots

I

Have never had an ir herm a plant... but im sure it can happen... i also like to tap off about half the irs so it doesn't flash as bad on someones oily face

I've never actually seen it happen either, but several of my clients have reported problems they suspected were related to camera IR. The IR emitters on cameras are usually in the 750nm range or lower (far red), and they have a visible red glow. I have read that chlorophyll photo-sensors operate in the same general range, so I suppose it's possible for camera IRs to have an impact on a plant close to them, disrupting the dark photoperiod. I also find the visible IRs to be very annoying, especially when they 'reveal' an exterior camera by clicking on...

Dr.Boots

Dr.Boots

My bud bought a cabela cam 140ish... didnt know how to install or work the motherfucker hahahah... i got this for same price

His tab was 190 with 4 year warranty, 32 gig harddrive and 2 night vision and monitor. ... i get deals... pm me

I can get cheap trail cams and remote battery cams too.

That's a good price! I work with three wholesalers in my city, and two more out of state-- and I couldn't do much better than to match that cost.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

The IR emitters on cameras are usually in the 750nm range or lower (far red), and they have a visible red glow. I have read that chlorophyll photo-sensors operate in the same general range

Yup - This would make sense given what I know about IR LED and PAR range in cannabis. There are specific phytochromes that respond to these wavelengths - see later in this post.

IR LED can have a huge range of emission outside the narrow band (why you can see them when on!) This would be very much a YMMV thing. Cheap cameras would use extremely bright LED with no filter. Filtered LED would be as narrow band as the filter restricts. A few more pennies and a better LED can be used that has the filter built into the package ( hint, if the LED package is clear, you can see that silicon die sorta glowing red, you get broadband ).

And as for security - I would put any system on a UPS, with the alarm disabled. I use cameras in my houses. I had break-in at one and as soon as they saw my cameras, they cut power to the house. You can be sure, that will not go down like that again.

(cut and pasted from another site)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phytochrome is a photoreceptor, a pigment that plants use to detect light. It is sensitive to light in the red and far-red region of the visible spectrum. Many flowering plants use it to regulate the time of flowering based on the length of day and night (photoperiodism) and to set circadian rhythms. It also regulates other responses including the germination of seeds, elongation of seedlings, the size, shape and number of leaves, the synthesis of chlorophyll, and the straightening of the epicotyl or hypocotyl hook of dicot seedlings.
Isoforms or states

Phytochromes are characterised by a red/far-red photochromicity. Photochromic pigments change their "colour" (spectral absorbance properties) upon light absorption. In the case of phytochrome the ground state is Pr, the r indicating that it absorbs red light particularly strongly. The absorbance maximum is a sharp peak 650–670 nm, so concentrated phytochrome solutions look turquoise-blue to the human eye. But once a red photon has been absorbed, the pigment undergoes a rapid conformational change to form the Pfr state. Here fr indicates that now not red but far-red (also called near infra-red; 705–740 nm) is preferentially absorbed. This shift in absorbance is apparent to the human eye as a slightly more greenish colour. When Pfr absorbs far-red light it is converted back to Pr. Hence, red light makes Pfr, far-red light makes Pr. In plants at least Pfr is the physiologically active or "signalling" state.

Summary of the characteristics of plant phytochromes:
Purified Cph1 phytochrome in the Pr state (left) and the Pr/Pfr mixture (right) that is formed by irradiation with red light. Since daylight contains a lot of red light, during the day phytochrome is mostly converted to Pfr. At night, phytochrome will slowly convert back to the Pr form. Treatment with far-red light will also convert Pfr back to Pr. Since plants use red light for photosynthesis, and reflect and transmit far-red light, the shade of other plants also can make Pfr into Pr, triggering a response called shade avoidance. In most plants, a suitable concentration of Pfr stimulates or inhibits physiological processes, such as those mentioned in these examples.
Since both the ground state Pr and excited state Pfr are unusually stable (Pfr has a half-life of hours or days) the quantum nature of this transition was not immediately recognized. These two forms are therefore commonly (though technically incorrectly) referred to as isoforms.

Biochemistry
(deleted some info about the cell from here)
The Pfr state passes on a signal to other biological systems in the cell, such as the mechanisms responsible for gene expression. Although this mechanism is almost certainly a biochemical process, it is still the subject of much debate. It is known that although phytochromes are synthesized in the cytosol and the Pr form is localized there, the Pfr form, when generated by light illumination, is translocated to the cell nucleus. This implies a role of phytochrome in controlling gene expression, and many genes are known to be regulated by phytochrome, but the exact mechanism has still to be fully discovered. It has been proposed that phytochrome, in the Pfr form, may act as a kinase, and it has been demonstrated that phytochrome in the Pfr form can interact directly with transcription factors.

Discovery
Using a spectrograph built from borrowed and war-surplus parts, they discovered that red light was very effective for promoting germination or triggering flowering responses. The red light responses were reversible by far-red light, indicating the presence of a photoreversible pigment.
In 1983 the laboratories of Peter Quail and Clark Lagarias reported the chemical purification of the intact phytochrome molecule, and in 1985 the first phytochrome gene sequence was published by Howard Hershey and Peter Quail. By 1989, molecular genetics and work with monoclonal antibodies that more than one type of phytochrome existed; for example, the pea plant was shown to have at least two phytochrome types (then called type I (found predominantly in dark-grown seedlings) and type II (predominant in green plants)). It is now known by genome sequencing thatOpenDNS has five phytochrome genes (PHYA - E) but that rice has only three (PHYA - C). While this probably represents the condition in several di- and monocotyledonous plants, many plants are polyploid. Hence maize, for example, has six phytochromes - phyA1, phyA2, phyB1, phyB2, phyC1 and phyC2. While all these phytochromes have significantly different protein components, they all use phytochromobilin as their light-absorbing chromophore. In the late 1980s, the Vierstra lab showed that phyA is degraded by the ubiquitin system, the first identified natural target of the system to be identified in eukaryotes.
In 1996 a gene in the newly sequenced genome of the cyanobacterium OpenDNS was noticed to have a weak similarity to those of plant phytochromes. Jon Hughes in Berlin and Clark Lagarias at UC Davis subsequently showed that this gene indeed encoded a bona fide phytochrome (named Cph1) in the sense that it is a red/far-red reversible chromoprotein. Presumably plant phytochromes are derived from an ancestral cyanobacterial phytochrome, perhaps by gene migration from the chloroplast to the nucleus. Subsequently phytochromes have been found in other prokaryotes including Deinococcus radiodurans and Agrobacterium tumefaciens. In Deinococcus phytochrome regulates the production of light-protective pigments, however in Synechocystis and Agrobacterium the biological function of these pigments is still unknown.
In 2005, the Vierstra and Forest labs at the University of Wisconsin published a three-dimensional structure of the photosensory domain of OpenDNSphytochrome. This breakthrough paper revealed that the protein chain forms a knot - a highly unusual structure for a protein.

Genetic engineering

Around 1989 several laboratories were successful in producing (transgenic plants) which produced elevated amounts of different phytochromes (overexpression). In all cases the resulting plants had conspicuously short stems and dark green leaves. Harry Smith and coworkers at Leicester University in England showed that by increasing the expression level of phytochrome A (which responds to far-red light) shade avoidance responses can be altered. As a result, plants can expend less energy on growing as tall as possible and have more resources for growing seeds and expanding their root systems. This could have many practical benefits: for example, grass blades that would grow more slowly than regular grass would not require mowing as frequently, or crop plants might transfer more energy to the grain instead of growing taller.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
That's a good price! I work with three wholesalers in my city, and two more out of state-- and I couldn't do much better than to match that cost.
Installed too...cuz hes my buddy... have had zero glitches so far

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Yup - This would make sense given what I know about IR LED and PAR range in cannabis. There are specific phytochromes that respond to these wavelengths - see later in this post.

IR LED can have a huge range of emission outside the narrow band (why you can see them when on!) This would be very much a YMMV thing. Cheap cameras would use extremely bright LED with no filter. Filtered LED would be as narrow band as the filter restricts. A few more pennies and a better LED can be used that has the filter built into the package ( hint, if the LED package is clear, you can see that silicon die sorta glowing red, you get broadband ).

And as for security - I would put any system on a UPS, with the alarm disabled. I use cameras in my houses. I had break-in at one and as soon as they saw my cameras, they cut power to the house. You can be sure, that will not go down like that again.

(cut and pasted from another site)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phytochrome is a photoreceptor, a pigment that plants use to detect light. It is sensitive to light in the red and far-red region of the visible spectrum. Many flowering plants use it to regulate the time of flowering based on the length of day and night (photoperiodism) and to set circadian rhythms. It also regulates other responses including the germination of seeds, elongation of seedlings, the size, shape and number of leaves, the synthesis of chlorophyll, and the straightening of the epicotyl or hypocotyl hook of dicot seedlings.
Isoforms or states

Phytochromes are characterised by a red/far-red photochromicity. Photochromic pigments change their "colour" (spectral absorbance properties) upon light absorption. In the case of phytochrome the ground state is Pr, the r indicating that it absorbs red light particularly strongly. The absorbance maximum is a sharp peak 650–670 nm, so concentrated phytochrome solutions look turquoise-blue to the human eye. But once a red photon has been absorbed, the pigment undergoes a rapid conformational change to form the Pfr state. Here fr indicates that now not red but far-red (also called near infra-red; 705–740 nm) is preferentially absorbed. This shift in absorbance is apparent to the human eye as a slightly more greenish colour. When Pfr absorbs far-red light it is converted back to Pr. Hence, red light makes Pfr, far-red light makes Pr. In plants at least Pfr is the physiologically active or "signalling" state.

Summary of the characteristics of plant phytochromes:
Purified Cph1 phytochrome in the Pr state (left) and the Pr/Pfr mixture (right) that is formed by irradiation with red light. Since daylight contains a lot of red light, during the day phytochrome is mostly converted to Pfr. At night, phytochrome will slowly convert back to the Pr form. Treatment with far-red light will also convert Pfr back to Pr. Since plants use red light for photosynthesis, and reflect and transmit far-red light, the shade of other plants also can make Pfr into Pr, triggering a response called shade avoidance. In most plants, a suitable concentration of Pfr stimulates or inhibits physiological processes, such as those mentioned in these examples.
Since both the ground state Pr and excited state Pfr are unusually stable (Pfr has a half-life of hours or days) the quantum nature of this transition was not immediately recognized. These two forms are therefore commonly (though technically incorrectly) referred to as isoforms.

Biochemistry
(deleted some info about the cell from here)
The Pfr state passes on a signal to other biological systems in the cell, such as the mechanisms responsible for gene expression. Although this mechanism is almost certainly a biochemical process, it is still the subject of much debate. It is known that although phytochromes are synthesized in the cytosol and the Pr form is localized there, the Pfr form, when generated by light illumination, is translocated to the cell nucleus. This implies a role of phytochrome in controlling gene expression, and many genes are known to be regulated by phytochrome, but the exact mechanism has still to be fully discovered. It has been proposed that phytochrome, in the Pfr form, may act as a kinase, and it has been demonstrated that phytochrome in the Pfr form can interact directly with transcription factors.

Discovery
Using a spectrograph built from borrowed and war-surplus parts, they discovered that red light was very effective for promoting germination or triggering flowering responses. The red light responses were reversible by far-red light, indicating the presence of a photoreversible pigment.
In 1983 the laboratories of Peter Quail and Clark Lagarias reported the chemical purification of the intact phytochrome molecule, and in 1985 the first phytochrome gene sequence was published by Howard Hershey and Peter Quail. By 1989, molecular genetics and work with monoclonal antibodies that more than one type of phytochrome existed; for example, the pea plant was shown to have at least two phytochrome types (then called type I (found predominantly in dark-grown seedlings) and type II (predominant in green plants)). It is now known by genome sequencing thatOpenDNS has five phytochrome genes (PHYA - E) but that rice has only three (PHYA - C). While this probably represents the condition in several di- and monocotyledonous plants, many plants are polyploid. Hence maize, for example, has six phytochromes - phyA1, phyA2, phyB1, phyB2, phyC1 and phyC2. While all these phytochromes have significantly different protein components, they all use phytochromobilin as their light-absorbing chromophore. In the late 1980s, the Vierstra lab showed that phyA is degraded by the ubiquitin system, the first identified natural target of the system to be identified in eukaryotes.
In 1996 a gene in the newly sequenced genome of the cyanobacterium OpenDNS was noticed to have a weak similarity to those of plant phytochromes. Jon Hughes in Berlin and Clark Lagarias at UC Davis subsequently showed that this gene indeed encoded a bona fide phytochrome (named Cph1) in the sense that it is a red/far-red reversible chromoprotein. Presumably plant phytochromes are derived from an ancestral cyanobacterial phytochrome, perhaps by gene migration from the chloroplast to the nucleus. Subsequently phytochromes have been found in other prokaryotes including Deinococcus radiodurans and Agrobacterium tumefaciens. In Deinococcus phytochrome regulates the production of light-protective pigments, however in Synechocystis and Agrobacterium the biological function of these pigments is still unknown.
In 2005, the Vierstra and Forest labs at the University of Wisconsin published a three-dimensional structure of the photosensory domain of OpenDNSphytochrome. This breakthrough paper revealed that the protein chain forms a knot - a highly unusual structure for a protein.

Genetic engineering

Around 1989 several laboratories were successful in producing (transgenic plants) which produced elevated amounts of different phytochromes (overexpression). In all cases the resulting plants had conspicuously short stems and dark green leaves. Harry Smith and coworkers at Leicester University in England showed that by increasing the expression level of phytochrome A (which responds to far-red light) shade avoidance responses can be altered. As a result, plants can expend less energy on growing as tall as possible and have more resources for growing seeds and expanding their root systems. This could have many practical benefits: for example, grass blades that would grow more slowly than regular grass would not require mowing as frequently, or crop plants might transfer more energy to the grain instead of growing taller.
Most people will not understand that hahahaha

I have see hps street lights hit a plant harder than the irs and have no ill effect... put clone outside and had one in tent.... the ratio of photons night/day have an effect... weak day light(wrong light) will effect your night time temperament of genetics.

Had a guy once using security lights... blasting plants at anyone or deer or rabbit that came close... that was a cluster fuck!!!!!

GeneralGrow

GeneralGrow

I have an 8 camera Zmodo DVR system that I've been using for 3 years now.It has been pretty efficient for home security but I took the camera I had in my tent out for fear that the infrared would cause hermies.
Hey there,
Can infrared cause hermies? :( :(
I have my ip cam inside :/

Latest posts

Top Bottom