Security tips for mac os leopard

• Thread starter logic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Yeah bring it over ill sort it all out for you :)

S

Slick

What are these Mac things you speak of? Must be some sort of witchcraft. hehe

:scared0016:

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
A mac if for someone who knows what a real computer is :)

K

kill-9

There isn't much to do for Leopard, which is a good thing. Most of the security features are already in your settings. Leopard is the only Mac OS to get official UNIX certification from the Open Unix Group, which has certain posix coding standards, and when you talk posix baby, that's security.

The only things I would recommend for mac users is to have a decent router. Stick with Linksys's +$80 line, Linksys Business Class, DD-WRT, Zyxel and Buffalo Wireless for absolute security.

Do NOT use Safari, it is insecure, it is crap. End of story. Use Camino, Firefox or Opera.

Use LittleSnitch to block any programs that want to access the internet without your permission. Hell, I would recommend limiting ANY Mac program from accessing the internet except for the time daemon. Calculator wants to access the internet sometimes, WTF? No. Security risk.

If you insist on using Filevault, you might lose information. It's happened to me quite a few times, I gave up and started using Truecrypt.

Somehow Apple hired real unix hackers to make the foundation of their system, but the application developers creating programs to go on the unix stack don't know what they're doing.

hubcap

hubcap

i thought apples/macs were supposed to be secure out of the box ......????

sounds to me like the hackers are finally catchin up with the microsoft sect.....

from the sound of kill-9s post...
sounds like apple users gotta go thru the same BS windows users d o.....

first d/l this app....
then run thru 2 firewalls....
then hopefully virus protections c atches bad stuff.....

is it really worth the extra dough still?
did hackers and spammers finally make their way to apples?

only a matter of t ime, i guess....?

-hc-

K

kill-9

i thought apples/macs were supposed to be secure out of the box ......????

For the most part they are.

sounds to me like the hackers are finally catchin up with the microsoft sect.....

Yes and No. For hackers to successfully breach Mac OS X, they would need to target the root user and/or services that reach the internet, in this case, the time daemon.

The reason why I recommended a router is because when someone even attempts to do anything to ya, it's going to the router, not your computer. But is it absolutely necessary? No.

But theoretically, if a hacker finds a way to breach the MAC OS X root user, he would have to breach your router as well, and from there, send an attack to your computer. Definitely NOT an easy task to do, even if you have the exploit code to breach OS X.

The hacker would have to create SPECIFIC code to breach your router, then use it as a base to your computer. Coding takes a long time, and hopefully by the time he figures it out, Mac will come out with a security update.

Security is not 100%, it's a war.:character0110:

from the sound of kill-9s post...
sounds like apple users gotta go thru the same BS windows users d o.....

Not really, I've been using Linux for almost 10 years now and I've always had to use a router, why? So retarded kids cant portscan my computer and try to send packets to take me offline. While this is not hacking my computer for personal information, it's still annoying.

first d/l this app....
then run thru 2 firewalls....
then hopefully virus protections c atches bad stuff.....

Mac OS X comes with the IPFW firewall. Which is very fuckin secure. You CAN configure this to stop outgoing connections but Little Snitch just makes it easier for ya.

Viruses are not a threat. The reason why it's so prevalent on windows is because everyone uses the Administrator account by default.

is it really worth the extra dough still?
did hackers and spammers finally make their way to apples?

Is it required? No. But that depends on your paranoia level, mine's on high :)

B

basso

Kill-9, thank you for the detailed information bro! really makes me feel more secure using my mac...

switched from windows years ago and no way am I going back.. dual boot baby!

hubcap

hubcap

excellent post kill-9
apples are a bit harder to pick...
LINUX seems to be the way to go but spanish was hard enough to 'semi'learn.

been saving for a new sicko powerbook....
ill keep saving

-hubcap-

K

kill-9

No problem, I'm getting information from this forum that helps me grow better. I'm trading with y'all :D

Top Bottom