Seed acquisition, storage and sprouting

• Thread starter SkiVT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SkiVT

SkiVT

I did my first grow from clones this summer here in Vermont where it is legal. The Solo cup Xmas tree thread got me thinking about an indoor grow over the winter, but I will need some starter seeds.
So my first question is whether the Farmer will ship to Vermont. The next question is how to keep seeds until I am ready to grow like should they be kept in the dark in a plastic bag and how long will they remain viable. And my final question is, given the investment, how best to start the sprouting. I tried some seeds given by a friend and had no background on them, but placed between wet paper towels, they never sprouted.
My wife is a medical MJ patient and spends too much at the dispensary. She is also particular about strains, with Acapulco Gold being her favorite for anxiety and overall relief from related tension, so if AG is not available, what strain might be closest in effects.
My summer grow was a Northern Lights indica and a Silver Haze sativa. I found the NL great for a good night of sleep without getting me too stoned to function. She likes the SH which is a one hit wonder, but still goes to the dispensary for AG when they have it in stock.
Thanks for any help.

Nugg

Nugg

I have no idea on the strains...but...I make my own seeds..I just keep in a dry dark place..I've used seeds with good results from 5-6 yrs back... Far as sprouting...I just throw them in a water bottle from the store or my well water.. either works.. FYI...this is the best way.i don't care who you are..forget all that other wise tails about how to crack a seed...that's just silly shit.

Havocsm1

Havocsm1

I got my first seeds from The Attitude seed bank. Great seeds so far.

Yeah as long as they're stored in a safe place,baggie, don't let them get too hot.

Best way to sprout is keep it simple. Use a solo cup and soil. I use Happy Frog from FoxFarm so germinate.

Wet the soil, about 1/4 down place seed. Use a spray bottle to lightly mist the top of soil. Get a larger cup and poke holes on bottom. Place upside down over solo cup. Make sure you mist sides of cup first
Humidity is key. I used 2 20 watt LEDs I placed 2 to 10 inches away to prevent stretch. If you use this method you won't overwater and only need to water once every 4 to 5 days. I have 99.999999 success rate. 💯 as of lately.

Goodluck

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
We all have our perfect way to do it!
This is just ours.
First, presoak Rockwood plugs in Clonex solution. Fill 1 gallon pots with Happy Frog and put plugs in soil
We line a pill bottle with emery cloth, throw the beans in there and shake for 30 seconds.
Drop the beans in the plugs and spray with solution.
Put in the 2x4 tent under a 6 bulb T5 with just 2 bulbs on at 4 inches.
They always pop in a day, 2 at most.
The T5's keep soil warm and ready for the new sprouts. They stay there for 3 weeks then moved to their home in the flower room to veg for 5 weeks before turning back.
That's it!

SkiVT

SkiVT

Awesome tips, thanks! While each has their own perfect way, I do like the 24 hour soak in water to soften the seed shell, then transfer to wet paper towel method just so I can see what is going on. Then transfer to my seedling tray with a heat mat and clear cover in rockwool cubes and a low power seedling grow light to start.
I ordered Acapulco Gold seeds from Pacific Seed Bank and am getting another 3 unknown fem seeds thrown in so I will have something to play with. I need to build a 2x2x4' grow tent for the 5' high "basement" or glorified crawl space under my house. I use PVC pipe for the frame and mylar film with an open top so I can hang my grow light from the floor joist.
I'll probably pop the seeds one or two at a time so I don't waste my limited supply.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Top Bottom