Seed Curing or Drying

• Thread starter SoCalGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SoCalGrower

Hello farmers,

I have been growing and breeding cannabis for many years, but this year is a little different for me.

I have a very important grow happening right now outdoors. The grow is mainly for seed production for this winters indoor crop, and for preserving some very important plants.

The last couple weeks have been very humid and I was getting a little bud rot on a small area of tight pack bud on one of the plants, so I pinched it out, and all is well with this plant at the moment. The seeds that were in this area were very well developed, around 4 weeks since pollenation, and are very tan to dark, and stripped, just like I want to see.

I would normally grow the plants out, and let the seed dry for at least a month before trying to germinate them. I was reading that seeds right off the plant can be germinated without drying, so I took 10 very decent looking seeds and put them in a wet paper towel and baggie, and so far no germination after more than 4+ days. I was very supprised nothing has happened yet since they are fresh and look very good.

Do seeds have to be dryed for a length of time before germination? If so how long? I rarely have trouble after 4 weeks of drying, but I thought I would try it with some fresh seeds as an experiment, but the experiment has failed so far. I am harvesting in the next week or so, and this experiment has me worried about germ rates on these plants if fresh seeds right off the plant are supposed to germ.

O

Outlaw Grower

Breeder
Supporter
i've never gotten fresh wet seeds to germ, lay em on cardboard for a acouple weeks and they'll pop. i usually wait 3-4 weeks before trying to germ.

S

SoCalGrower

Thanks for the responce Outlaw.

I figured that to be the case since the seeds look so good, and passed the pinch test, and are rock hard and beautiful. I guess the sources I read were FoS, but I was willing to try because of the importance of this current grow.

I have about 40 seeds from that removed area on cardboard right now and I will germ test them in 4 weeks like usual.

R

ReelBusy1

The last couple weeks have been very humid and I was getting a little bud rot on a small area of tight pack bud on one of the plants, so I pinched it out, and all is well with this plant at the moment. The seeds that were in this area were very well developed, around 4 weeks since pollenation, and are very tan to dark, and stripped, just like I want to see.

So Cal here too.
I had the same tiny little patch of rot on a stem and did the same seed check.
I'm about a week behind you but they look strong and well developed.

S

SoCalGrower

Yeah ReelBusy,
That June Gloom like weather recently worried me since it's supposed to be around 100 deg and somewhat dryer in our area, but its back to 100 deg and bone dry today. My plants should finish OK now.

I sure hate waiting around a month to germ test these seeds since they are very important to this winters crop, but i'll be patient.

R

ReelBusy1

yeh a happy long drying is good.

its what nature does, wait and then cycle life to the next year.

IMHO any time we can, we should be replicating natures best practices whether growing indoors or out.
:smiley_joint:

J

Jalisco Kid

I have a killer pic from my ore days. There was a plant that I did not get to in time. when I did get to it it had hundreds of sprouts shooting out of the buds. I think if you throw them in the fridge a day or two that might help you. Worth trying a few beans to see if that will do it for you.

D

draksensi

I always leave seeds a good month b4 germ, then put them in a fridge to mimic winter in nature, then when your ready to germ them, let them sit at room temp 4 half an hour and they will germ fine.Once tried to germ straightof plant most germed but just stopped(the tail)shortly after leaving the shell.

N

Nts10a

I had some Malawi seeds that took a little over two weeks to germ. I believe it was because the rooting cube was not hot enough for them. Or maybe they weren't cured enough. But sometimes seeds just take their time. I haven't tried germing fresh seeds, always waited until they were dry.

L

l33t

Search for Cold Treatement of Seeds (Seed Stratification)

Cold Treatment can allow for a faster germination / much less wait needed till germination with fresh seeds

A

acubus

The few times I've tried. I've pick seeds of flowering plants....germinated with no wait and had tap roots 90%+ in 1-3 days. Mature seeds being the key imho. I've had 2 generations in flower from seed at the same time a few times. A couple week dry(lower humidity the better) before bagging for storage is needed to prevent mold.

P

purpleblockhead

soak them in water untill they sink than put in wet paper towel its hard 2 get them 2 pop unless theyve been soaked in water, also the have 2 be dryed when taken out the bud, i put mine in a closed cardboard box and let sit outside on a hot day but not in the direct sun in the shade and they dry in a few hours

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Great info farmers! Anyone have any good techniques to harvest seed from buds that are going to be smoked? I figure I'll just use a dental tool with a small pick to carefully remove the beans. I just don't want to ruin trichomes removing seeds. Thanks for any info. Cheers

Top Bottom