seed dormancy

• Thread starter harrypotter
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

harrypotter

anyone know how long a seed will last found some seed i had a while back, as with the present grow dont know what these are, just gonna pop these in an hope for the best, just curious on the overall keeping of seed, thanks

P

PureSugar

Seeds can be viable for a long time especially if they are stored in a cool dark humidity free environment. I know people that have popped seeds that were over 20 years old.

There are two "tricks" that can help improve germination rates with old seeds. The method I use is to use a razor blade to cut a small slice on the side of the seed or the more commonly mentioned method of using some sand paper to thin the shell of the seed.

Good luck

hubcap

hubcap

i've found, farmer harrypotter, that seeds that have been stored at a constant, cool temp, in darkness is a great way to keep seeds over time.
you'll hear a lot of people place them in film canisters, or pill bottles with a lil pack of silica gel and toss em in the fridge.....for longer term storage.

if found, that if a seed is subject to temperature fluctuations and light and dark hoopla, germ rates diminish, quickly, as time goes on.

so the key is CONSTANT cool temps in darkness.

only one way to find out if theyre still viable.

chuck em in some waddah or a wet paper towel and wait.

-cap

H

harrypotter

wow 20 years thats good to know,but i dont think there that old lol, i gotta chance then, good news again. thanks fellow farmers

A

afatsoweezer

from Mandala Seeds:

"Seeds can be stored at room temperature for short-term. For long-term storage of several months to 3 years please store the seeds in a dry, air-tight packaging (seal in zip-lock bag and place in a small Tupperware box, etc.) in the refrigerator (5-8°). Frozen seeds may get damaged when thawed quickly and therefore this is not a necessary option unless you plan to store the seeds longer than 3 years. Germination rates may slowly deteriorate after 3 years under proper storage."

Good luck!

Top Bottom