Seed pre soak, but in what ?

• Thread starter Trickiebush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Trickiebush

Trickiebush

I wasn't sure if this should go in.the general growing section, but my logic here is that if anyone knows how to get the best germination rates, its the breeders who created them.

So the concept of pre soaking seeds before either potting up or into kitchen towel etc is well known, but is is worth while adding anything to the pre soak water, or even the kitchen towel water?

I'm thinking about quality seaweed/kelp extract, rooting feed, and so on to boost growth and rooting. Also why not add soluble mycorrhizal fungi into the pre soak and towel water ?

I'm.sure we all do things differently and there are so many opinions online, so I give it out to you breeders and lovers of all things seed....

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
you can sprinkle myco on the seed but theres no reason to add nutrients seeds wont uptake them...

just drop em in water then paper towel then soil.. why fuck with what already works ? if your germ rates suck and your method is solid then genetics is the problem i would guess.

Trickiebush

Trickiebush

Thanks @LittleDabbie and @chemistry yeah, great points. I suppose my thought process was giving the kelp feed at high dilution rate ti just aid germination and reduce any stress. The rest was just my mind running with it hahha

It comes down to the old adage of " KISS, Keep it simple stupid '

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I just put them in a cup of water and into a cabinet for 24 hrs then put them in cubes/cups/or whatever. That way you arent wasting medium on seeds that don't pop tails. Paper towels are too inconsistent for me going into 1.5 rockwool cubes. By the time they all pop tails half of them will have 4in tap roots on them. If planting into some kind of container with peat/soil/coco or whatever that doesnt really matter.

Dr.B

Dr.B

The seed comes with all of its first nutrients built in. I don't soak or coat or add anything. Outside of the occasional dud the coffee filter gets me 100% germination success.

quirk

quirk

I give all my seeds, cannabis, fruit and vegetable an 8hr. hydration in dilute Liquid Seaweed. Auto grower.

IMG 20200315 001224629
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I take my beans and put in a cup of warm water till they sink, then the paper towl drill.

Top Bottom