Seed Problem

• Thread starter bekesi710
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bekesi710

Hey Farm!

It would be a problem. I bought 1 pack of premium quality seeds. I was very happy. I opened and I pressed the seeds are cautiously and cracked all. I know then good the seed if they endure. I made a mistake and should not pressed the seeds? The seeds was old? I'm not a beginner, but such has not happened.

Thanks.

PS I think if someone made a mistake in the seed bank, not a breeder.

derkaderk

derkaderk

Pressing seeds is not a good idea, imo....some seeds have a thin coat, but they are none the less viable. Small, and thin, and even white(immature) seeds sometimes are viable.
I will never do the squeeze test again.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The question I have is this--were the seed hulls empty or filled with dried out embryo instead of rich, healthy embryo? I've squeezed seeds to see if they're viable or not and the only ones that crack are the ones that aren't going to be viable, for whatever reason. I'm sure that the pressure one is able to apply plays a role here, but like I said, I've never been able to just crush and crack a healthy, viable seed.

derkaderk

derkaderk

True Sea...I should have mentioned the amount of pressure.

@bekesi710 was there anything inside the seed?

B

bekesi710

it contained embryo, but it did not look too healthy. according to my experience, if you squeezed the seed and cracked, it is not good. maybe I made a mistake, but I've never breaks viable seeds in my hand. one thing is certain: i'm never again squeeze the seeds.

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

Next time make a small tube out of emery cloth put seeds in the tube shake around until scuffed and then germinate just my 2 cents :D

Top Bottom