Seed Question

• Thread starter McDaver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
McDaver

McDaver

one of my plants put out 6 seeds. my question is Will these seeds produce a plant similar to the original? or is it a crap shoot?

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Seeds will be female.
Seeds might have hermaphrodite tendencies.
Seed wont have half the genetics from the male, so I should resemble the mother more closely.

lino

lino

self breeding. Sexlinked breeding introduces many interesting traits, Problem. you need to be on your game to determine the Hmhm or hmhm or as bulldog mention you can get into problems HMHM . Other very common problems is weakness and disease. Canna is XY. each can carry problems. when self breeding occurs this really narrow the selction and in the case of all the chromes coming from the mother the offspring can Easily pick sexlink bad traits also.
This is better understood with human and primates examples to understand. Sickel cell , I'd call this autosomal breeding but it needs to understood also to have full control of your breeding adventure. Jr HS examples to simplify this for us...
primate example: Color Blindness
Understanding x-linked breeding. Find your Hermy recessive. Now you can breed hermies, I like to have Dom Herms in my breeding stock. This will be your most valued seed stock. Females possessing one X-linked recessive herm mutation are considered carriers and will generally not manifest clinical symptoms of the herm disorder. All males possessing an X-linked recessive herm mutation will be affected, since males have only a single X-chromosome (for simplicity treat your punnett charts this way but this might not be the case due to feminized seeds) and therefore have only one copy of X-linked genes. All offspring of a carrier female have a 25% chance of inheriting the herm mutation if the father does not carry the recessive herm allele. All female children of an affected father will be carriers (assuming the mother is not affected or a carrier, no hermy balls rite?), as daughters possess their father's X-chromosome. If the mother is not a herm carrier, no male children of an affected herm father will be affected, as males only inherit their father's Y-chromosome.
Rarely talked about is Herm males, @epitome you got me thinking I should not leave this out , you got to know this and how to reconize this to punnett correctly.
To read this might confuse one self,, but Jr HS kid will rip a punnet chart faster than a text msg afte a 2 hour of hermy instruction, its not that hard to understand once you got in a chart correctly. Once you got your badd azz Dom herm stock and you'll know your herm zygosity on your F1's homie it really simple once you see it done...
Once you understand how to autosomal and sexLink breed the rest is elementary...

Dont Forget, 90% of cannabis seed stock is dioecious bred. They're packen Herm traits homie, its understanding them is what makes you a breeder, otherwise you thrown pollen and seeing what happen, This is why all our aval canna seed stock on the market are mutts and packen bad things, mildew traits and the like. But dam it taste good when you find a good one..

Last edited:
lino

lino

seed grouping,,,, the MOST overlooked spec in cannabis breeding. I cover some of this on my seed 2 seed thread. Farmers attention spans get bored with my shit, so I can not keep to the same subject going and finish it as many visitors dont engage and just peek. They dont want 200 page books. So I'll blip out info for the curious to google me.

seed grouping:
Do run a sealed grow room, pollen filter?
@McDaver , Did your 6 seeds come from One bud?
Many S.E. Colo farmers have gotten polluted from hemp crops. A few seed all over the plants.

McDaver

McDaver

seed grouping,,,, the MOST overlooked spec in cannabis breeding. I cover some of this on my seed 2 seed thread. Farmers attention spans get bored with my shit, so I can not keep to the same subject going and finish it as many visitors dont engage and just peek. They dont want 200 page books. So I'll blip out info for the curious to google me.

seed grouping:
Do run a sealed grow room, pollen filter?
@McDaver , Did your 6 seeds come from One bud?
Many S.E. Colo farmers have gotten polluted from hemp crops. A few seed all over the plants.
I do not run a pollen filter. five seeds from one top and one more seed from a different top. (may find more)

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Hermie plants produce more hermie (unstable) genetics. I say burn them, burn them all.

I wasted over 6 months on a Strawberries n cream that douched a gg4. Found 30 seeds. Grew them ALL out. Every fn one of thwm.hermied at week 2.5. So I'm very biased when it comes to hermie seeds, and connoisseur genetics.....more like hermie genetics if you ask me.

lino

lino

Hermie plants produce more hermie (unstable) genetics. I say burn them, burn them all.

I wasted over 6 months on a Strawberries n cream that douched a gg4. Found 30 seeds. Grew them ALL out. Every fn one of thwm.hermied at week 2.5. So I'm very biased when it comes to hermie seeds, and connoisseur genetics.....more like hermie genetics if you ask me.
We're talking about playing with fire, excuse the pun, Even expert firemen get burned when dealing with Fire.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well all this panic is still not true. There is no "hermie" gene or tendency if the genetics are bred properly.

If the plant was stressed enough it may make self seeds. All marijuana plants may do this under the right conditions.

The seeds will be female. And they will have the same possibility of different phenotypes as the plant they came from.

And @DemonTrich you are continuing to warn about hermie seeds when your warning should be about connisour genetics or your grow of their plant.

I plant the s-1's from the plants I stressed in my first year and every one has become a better plant than the original. And not one has shown a stamen. I am a better grower. I did not stress them the same way. Then they might have "hermied" again. But still maybe not.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I've had other genetics herm on me as well. Normally at week 2.5 or at week 6 in my.findings over the years. Moxie seeds (viper city (iirc)), as well as 6 of 10 of the sc from cg all hermied.

BUT, gg4 was an accidental hermie cross from josey. Not sure how he worked his magic to produce such a killer strain. In the 4qyrs of me growing her, I've never found a seed, or nanner. Even taking her to 73 days.

lino

lino

I do not run a pollen filter. five seeds from one top and one more seed from a different top. (may find more)
I'd GUESS that the plant self pollinated. Again, that dam GG4 fucked someone,,,, Notice that lots of different males bred to GG4 herm,,, to the trained eye that indicates Dom-Rec traits , but it gets complex to see with out a chart why all these different dads make a herm with GG4/ . But in chart you'll be able to see the parents to GG4 traits because of this Herm trait zygosity in gg4. And now that we know all these dads bred no herm to other plants we can now pick the correct dad... But these seed and (YOUR seed) will Likely herm on the F1, or F2's giving a breeder a bad name. It can be bred back to Dioecous bred plants but it will take work with monoecous bred plant, that would make worthy, lengthy breeding Experiment and project.
Just go with a seedless gene triploidds or with chemicals... if you think you can breed,- find a seedless gene. Either way You'll own GG4, or your new seed strain in your case McDaver, with either breeding method....this is lots of work to just breed a plant tho....

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've had other genetics herm on me as well. Normally at week 2.5 or at week 6 in my.findings over the years. Moxie seeds (viper city (iirc)), as well as 6 of 10 of the sc from cg all hermied.

BUT, gg4 was an accidental hermie cross from josey. Not sure how he worked his magic to produce such a killer strain. In the 4qyrs of me growing her, I've never found a seed, or nanner. Even taking her to 73 days.

Look at your rooms. Your all dialed in. Your plants are happy. Only bad genetics are likely to give problems. Or maybe a new hidden problem. We do have to remain diligent.

Growers stressed the plants to give us the famous bagseeds like Chemdog #4.

Then all this new fancy dessert sounding stuff is just new phenos being worked really. Super strawberry sour unlimited double triangle Diesel. Lol.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

My prob came from shitty genetics. But stressing plants can also herm them, as well as light leaks, high nute feeds, or plain grower errors.

lino

lino

Lets not forget the DNA of the hermy and Zygosity, how gay is your plant, ? straight, bisexual or full gay,,, or confused and dresses both ways.... This is deterimined in plants and humans by our DNA,,, And screw around with this crap and turn genes on and off
MeGI - pronounced Me Guy, this DNA sequence is the hemie gene INDICATOR, it get turned On and Off by the
DOI- pronounced "DO I" this DNA sequence is the HERMY Switch... Dom-Rec will control this switch in breeding.

All' kind' bud is dioesious bred as noted in ALL the DNA charts even tho I dont like the depiction but who the hell am I to question the DNA work of these PHDs but none the less we'll all agree and the DNA proves this. The monoesious bred plants will be a key player here.

The charts let us manipulate hermies but even firemen get burn and they study fire.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

My prob came from shitty genetics. But stressing plants can also herm them, as well as light leaks, high nute feeds, or plain grower errors.

When I started reading to learn to grow there were always strain recommendations for new growers. There is good reason for a noob to grow a classic Northern light or skunk 1. Stability and consistency.

With the F-1 craft market leading the new era the sensible advice not to grow a picky strain has seemed to disappear. But it is still the best advice.

I hermied the shit out of my first Blue Lemon Thai. I over and underfed the Thai heavy genetics. But even then I only found 5 seeds.

But my first Grow of auto northern lights gave me a almost a pound of better shit than I could get at the dispensary.

lino

lino

I liked the the way Spartans bred kids... If you were pussy azz sissy you wouldnt make it. they left you to fend for yourself in the wild for months at a time, If you lived, you'd come back to camp tougher... Now thats how you breed tough humans and plants ,,, @epitome style,,,, full on Spartan Breeder. lol CaveMans plants are tough as hell....

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Truth!

Kinda like how we phenotype new beans. Out with the weak and frail. Keep the ones that kill it.

lino

lino

On a side note, I am not a PHD and do not want to come off as a know it all on this ,,, i see where all of us have very good points and this science is brand new and additions are happening so often it is hard to say who is 100% absolutely correct as were all in closets growing and not in labs, so we have no absolutes here...

Last edited:
lino

lino

Your GG4 bred a hermy tests,,, for all we know , that was a F2 GG4, who'd know?,, see what i mean, its hard to say whats what .... So I dont want to spout off and say someone wrong or telling fibs... to many variables here...

McDaver

McDaver

I'd GUESS that the plant self pollinated. Again, that dam GG4 fucked someone,,,, Notice that lots of different males bred to GG4 herm,,, to the trained eye that indicates Dom-Rec traits , but it gets complex to see with out a chart why all these different dads make a herm with GG4/ . But in chart you'll be able to see the parents to GG4 traits because of this Herm trait zygosity in gg4. And now that we know all these dads bred no herm to other plants we can now pick the correct dad... But these seed and (YOUR seed) will Likely herm on the F1, or F2's giving a breeder a bad name. It can be bred back to Dioecous bred plants but it will take work with monoecous bred plant, that would make worthy, lengthy breeding Experiment and project.
Just go with a seedless gene triploidds or with chemicals... if you think you can breed,- find a seedless gene. Either way You'll own GG4, or your new seed strain in your case McDaver, with either breeding method....this is lots of work to just breed a plant tho....
Thanks for the information I am gonna toss the seeds. I have better things work on. Thanks again.

McDaver

McDaver

When I started reading to learn to grow there were always strain recommendations for new growers. There is good reason for a noob to grow a classic Northern light or skunk 1. Stability and consistency.

With the F-1 craft market leading the new era the sensible advice not to grow a picky strain has seemed to disappear. But it is still the best advice.

I hermied the shit out of my first Blue Lemon Thai. I over and underfed the Thai heavy genetics. But even then I only found 5 seeds.

But my first Grow of auto northern lights gave me a almost a pound of better shit than I could get at the dispensary.
No Shit a pound off of an auto?

Top Bottom