Seed Rot?

• Thread starter BudLightyear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BudLightyear

BudLightyear

I came across one seed, that was stubborn to shed it's shell. The rest of the beans are just fine, but this one is getting left behind. Curiosity got the best of me so I popped the outer shell off very carefully at the split to learn something. The part where the two leaves are supposed to be, is brown? I don't think this one's gonna make it. This is the first time I've had a seed sprout with the shell on top and start growing. Should I have removed it right away? I tried searching for shell, seed shell, shell stuck, seed head, seed helmet, seedling.

Environment: Pre-Soaked in Ph 5.8 water, Grodan 1.5" Cubes, Small T-5 Light, Low 80's Temp, 40% Humidity.

Seems to be a not so common thing?
Seed rot

Natural

Natural

I tend to help the ones who need it...it's a careful process. Cannot tell from the picture..but the shell can leave a "skin" behind..underneath are the pretty cotyledons. Could be mushed and rotted though..hard to see it, but the stem is skinny at top and doesn't look normal.

soserthc1

soserthc1

Happens alot for a few reason . 1) sometimes it was not planted deep enough so didn't have to fight to get up . 2) sometimes its just a little stubborn .

Most people have said to not remove it force-ably but if it just needs a little shove no big deal not all seeds will germ or survive .

Wouldn't sweat it if i was you ....

soserthc1

soserthc1

Thank You. Upon closer inspection the green leaves seem to be brown underneath. Poor Larry OG o_O
Not having much luck with Company Seeds, having better luck with bagseed it seems like.

Can you share your bad experience which breeder , maybe your buying from Bad seed companies there are lots of good one with no issues ... but bag seed thou could be a gamble sometimes can also be interesting sometimes .......

peace soser

BudLightyear

BudLightyear

At this point, I'm still an unexperienced grower so it's most likely something I did.

My Reasoning:
I ordered some Cali Connection Larry OG Reg Seeds from Single Seed Centre, so that I knew for sure what I was growing.

Currently:
My garden is ALL unknown bag seed. I have 5 plants, they seem to be thriving in a DWC setup but I'm just unsure of Strain and more importantly, Sex. They all look different at this point, ones 13" tall and the rest are about 9-10" tall.

I have a small supply of bag seed, around 50 tiger beans, that I can experiment with germinating. Maybe once I can get through all of those I'll take another shot at the Larry. I thought I would have had better luck. :wacky:

Here's a shot of the other 5, how big should they be before I start flowering?
Photo 1

Top Bottom