Seed to Steady growth

• Thread starter mrsgreenbuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrsgreenbuds

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit stumped (and pissed) the last 2 weeks i've attempted to germ about 20 + seeds normal and auto, some into rockwool and the others into 50/50 coco/perlite. The seeds are sprouting no trouble, but as soon as that happens that's when the growth basically stops.
sprouts barely/slowly open.
I'm Ph'n the water, I've used Demin water, tap water that has sat for 24hrs, both with Aptus start boost and a little regulator. I live in the mountains the water is good eg. minerals etc.

They are under a 200w CFL in a clone box, temperature is fine 23-25C. Rockwool was soaked in ph water. I'm starting to go crazy here!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

M

mrsgreenbuds

Hey thanks, I was wanting to go the non soil option as im running a RDWC system, I didn't want to be mixing up nutes and doing different PH all the time...

Considering the dramas i'm having, might have to bite the bullet and give soil a crack....

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

:) I was only teasing.
I do soil because I am a new grower and wanted to learn soil before I try anything more advanced. ! There are some great resources here, I would include some pictures of what they look like if possible though.

PS/ I will PM you.

MysteryChild

MysteryChild

Soil is where it's at so give soil a crack for sure
Also i don't start feeding my seedlings till they have been transplanted or at least growing for a week if not more
Water is all they need at such a young age

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

"Also i don't start feeding my seedlings till they have been transplanted or at least growing for a week if not more
Water is all they need at such a young age".

I second that, its easy to want to give them food and over water them, but resist the urge! :)

MysteryChild

MysteryChild

I personally like Clonex clone solution
Once i see roots and i add this stuff the plants seem to love it
Works great and it's easy to use

M

mrsgreenbuds

I would get a "start"solution like canna start, you don't have to switch to soil, but you should lightly feed the plants yo encourage root development and green growth

Hey Dude,

I used Aptus Regulator and a very very mild dose 1ml of floranova and it has done nothing, It's like they don't want to grow, something is stalling/preventing green growth once they are in the medium.

The newest sprouts had awesome tap roots form when i germd them, once i planted them they sprouted, but didn't open with leaves, now the its growing very long with no leaves.

M

mrsgreenbuds

I personally like Clonex clone solution
Once i see roots and i add this stuff the plants seem to love it
Works great and it's easy to use

Hey,

My start boost is for roots growth, maybe not as strong of an effect as clonex, but there's something there...

:(

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've read and reread your post, and those seeds should be taking off given the conditions you're providing them. I'm stumped, too, but would want to use a very mild feed once they're sprouted since you're in rockwool. I get the impression that you've done this plenty of times before, too, so...? Huh. Could it be the batch of rockwool?

M

mrsgreenbuds

Hey Seamaiden,

Your in the same boat as me then, How much contamination is possible with rockwool? I thoroughly washed the cubes before I used as well as soaked in PH water for 24hrs, I have heard of carbon deposits and Ph issues, i have ruled that out considering i have used coco/perlite as well with the autos.

The growth of the true leaves are extremely small, one has the second internode leaves coming through but they are on a miniature scale.
(very skinny and thin)
I'm not that experienced, but considering I have ticked all the boxes, my head is starting to hurt and my wall is starting to have ill feelings towards me.

I picked up some worm castings, i just threw some over them and watered them in, ill say a small prayer and hope for the best....

I got some more seeds germinating, so I'm gonna try them in soil, if that doesn't work i'll probably try growing in my hair......... ;)

Tank333

Tank333

Why use the Aptus regulator? I read their product description on their website and it looks like its supposed to be used later on in growth, not at the seedling stage... Maybe this is the issue?
I'm also inclined to blame the rockwool, too though. Lol. I honestly can't stant the stuff...
Also, how far away is your light? With flouros, its best to get them as close as possible to the seedlings...

M

mrsgreenbuds

Pretty sure you can use it in all phases of growth, their website says growth and bloom. Helps against stress and aids in plant processes. I have run straight PH'd dechlorinated tap water to make sure any of the additives weren't impacting them.

I use coco and rockwool and the plants are the same, CFL is 5-10cm from the plants

Tank333

Tank333

I think seedlings would be a bit young and fragile to use something like that, IMO. Honestly, I don't trust the use of any PGRs in any of my meds... But I don't use anything but B vitamins until after they show their first set of true leaves...

iCultivate

iCultivate

Are the seedcases falling off, or staying on the cotyledons? If they don't fall off properly, the seedlings often can't grow and end up dying pretty quickly. I've found it only happens very occasionally mind you.

-- iCultivate --

M

mrsgreenbuds

1 of the recent ones have done it, I tried to operate on her but looks like shes not going to make it.

On another note, since adding the worm castings they are starting to ''appear'' at little happier, time will tell, but ill be planting the some soil ones now and looking for better results. will keep ya posted.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Let's hope! I've never worked with rockwool outside of how it's used for aquarium plants, and for those you stick the plant in the cube, weigh it down with a lead wrap and stick in the tank. It either lives or it doesn't.

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

Ive found that soaking your seeds in a h2o2 solution seems to help also no fert for first 2 weeks of growth just my 2 cents:D

M

mrsgreenbuds

Well, I just popped 5 and planted in soil watering with worm tea. one has raced and sprouted an a second is following not far behind. Already its looking much better than the previous beans, dark green and stem. I think for peace of mind I'll just go from soil and then transplant to my UC.
Seems like ''surprise surprise'' good soil combo is optimal for me atm....

Top Bottom