Seed Won’t Pop Can I Do Anything Else?

• Thread starter Naturalx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well, the seed was black ish, still very firm, bit and just felt the crack threw it in the papertowel and into the tent ontop of my light. hopefully this works and thanks for the info. I would have never guessed to try that and will save that for the future. I hope it comes out I was really hoping to get a sativa for a bit of a mix up on this grow.

Funny while we are all such experts i had taprooted 2 seeds and planted them in cups of soil.

Only one seedling has emerged. Its been a few days i dont think the other one will make it. It happens. ;-)

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Strange, i soak them for 24 hrs then go with paper towels and i got 26/26 so far.

You can soak them I just find it unnecessary and just an extra step in the process.

I’ve popped quite a few seeds using straight paper towel and have never encountered any major issues doing so.

Of course everyone has their own rituals and I’d never question anyone else’s tactics it’s just not what I do personally.

But there are plenty of folks who swear by it. So I won’t say it’s a bad method just not one I use.

Naturalx

Naturalx

I cracked it and kind of pinched it open it looked black inside, so I pinched it more and actually saw some white so we’ll see what happens. It is what it is. It was a free seed, no loss but was very excited to try that strain.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
You can soak them I just find it unnecessary and just an extra step in the process.

I’ve popped quite a few seeds using straight paper towel and have never encountered any major issues doing so.

Of course everyone has their own rituals and I’d never question anyone else’s tactics it’s just not what I do personally.

But there are plenty of folks who swear by it. So I won’t say it’s a bad method just not one I use.

Yeah to each his own of course but i really wonder why you didn’t have satisfactory results using this technique. Weird how one technique gives one superb results and sub-par results to some others. This plant is a true mystery.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I wouldn’t say unsatisfactory per se. Just the only time I’ve had seeds not pop was when I tried this method. Of course there could have been other factors involved I just think it’s easiest to go straight into the paper towel. No biggie.

chemistry

chemistry

I've used the paper towel method, and seemed to return mixed results, maybe it depends on what kind of paper towel, some are bleached to make them white. Hardness of water can make all the difference too. I find I get more seedlings above ground with seed compost, water at PH 6.0, and then transplant after they get going.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Oddly some swear to not use the Viva Kleenex brand paper towels and that’s all we buy so that’s what I use. I did buy some cheap paper towels once and got ok results but wasn’t too impressed. With Viva i get tap roots in under 24 hours in most cases.

Madmax

Madmax

Never used the paper towel method,only cause never learnt that way...ive found its all to do with the temperature on seed...some seeds ive had just wouldnt crack so id putthem in pretty warm water and bingo..ones that dont i will still put them in ground and keep moist get a couple come up every now and then...i remember one of my mates using a paper towel in between 2 small plates like 3 decades ago it worked but they all died 10 days later...blamed something in the towels...was probably why i never used paper towels..everyones got there ways...i put glass on front metal cover of wood box heater lol.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Oddly some swear to not use the Viva Kleenex brand paper towels and that’s all we buy so that’s what I use. I did buy some cheap paper towels once and got ok results but wasn’t too impressed. With Viva i get tap roots in under 24 hours in most cases.
Try coffee filters instead..never had any root hairs stick to them!

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Try coffee filters instead..never had any root hairs stick to them!

I would but I’ve had great luck with the Viva paper towels. Never had any get stuck. I will try that at some point though. I have a shitload of coffee filters from before I got a kuerig.

Naturalx

Naturalx

Never used the paper towel method,only cause never learnt that way...ive found its all to do with the temperature on seed...some seeds ive had just wouldnt crack so id putthem in pretty warm water and bingo..ones that dont i will still put them in ground and keep moist get a couple come up every now and then...i remember one of my mates using a paper towel in between 2 small plates like 3 decades ago it worked but they all died 10 days later...blamed something in the towels...was probably why i never used paper towels..everyones got there ways...i put glass on front metal cover of wood box heater lol.
I garden heavily and have never really had any issues with germinating any seeds in paper towels. Of course some don't but the odds are in my experience.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I garden heavily and have never really had any issues with germinating any seeds in paper towels. Of course some don't but the odds are in my experience.
I have done it both ways, but for some reason the cannabis seeds here grow faster when germinated in coffee filters (paper towels),. I will continue using coffee filters..it's not broken so no need to fix.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Never used a paper towel or coffee filter. I just soak for 1 hr in city tap water to disinfect any nasties, then straight into plugs or promix/coco. 80 to 82 degrees is ideal for me.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Never used a paper towel or coffee filter. I just soak for 1 hr in city tap water to disinfect any nasties, then straight into plugs or promix/coco. 80 to 82 degrees is ideal for me.
Think about that (I did too)..
We have the real deal Chlorine (not that other substitute) in our tap water..I never drink it or even let my dogs drink it..Disinfecting my innards is not for me! I also put a drop of H2O2 in the shot glass while I soak the seed....I only soak until the seed sinks as to not drown it. Another approach is to put the seed, moist paper towel in a zip hanging in a dark warm spot to take advantage of Geo-tropism. (never did that either)

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Think about that (I did too)..
We have the real deal Chlorine (not that other substitute) in our tap water..I never drink it or even let my dogs drink it..Disinfecting my innards is not for me! I also put a drop of H2O2 in the shot glass while I soak the seed....I only soak until the seed sinks as to not drown it. Another approach is to put the seed, moist paper towel in a zip hanging in a dark warm spot to take advantage of Geo-tropism. (never did that either)
Never seen the need for paper towel or napkins... soil,plug,moisture and heat nothing else needed...

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Never seen the need for paper towel or napkins... soil,plug,moisture and heat nothing else needed...
I was talking about the chlorine problem..In used to use RO for the plants, but my setup has a leak and I am lazy (LOL), so I am watering with tap water after letting it sit out 24hrs to evaporate the chlorine..

As far as the method used..I am a believer that if it works..let it be. I do experiment from time to time but the base I use is pretty much dialed in (seeds, clones, vegging, flowering etc)

We are drinking Bottled water until I get off my butt and fix it. (spring maybe..LMAO)
I love my coffee and If made with tap water, you can taste and smell the difference. (it sux badly)
My RO is a Watts Premier ROPure that has given us great service for about 10 yrs. The leak is no big deal, but it's under the sink.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I was talking about the chlorine problem..In used to use RO for the plants, but my setup has a leak and I am lazy (LOL), so I am watering with tap water after letting it sit out 24hrs to evaporate the chlorine..

As far as the method used..I am a believer that if it works..let it be. I do experiment from time to time but the base I use is pretty much dialed in (seeds, clones, vegging, flowering etc)

We are drinking Bottled water until I get off my butt and fix it. (spring maybe..LMAO)
I love my coffee and If made with tap water, you can taste and smell the difference. (it sux badly)
My RO is a Watts Premier ROPure that has given us great service for about 10 yrs. The leak is no big deal, but it's under the sink.

I used to have a nice RO setup back when I had an aquarium. I took a food grade 55 gallon barrel and out it on cinder blocks in my basement next to the sink in the workshop area. I had it connected to the barrel with a float valve and had a spigot at the bottom for gravity feed. I’d use the RO water in the fish tank and take the nitrate rich water from the fish tank and use that on my plants. Kept the fish tank sparkling clean and the plants loved it. I should replicate that system again in my new house. Sadly I left it with the house as I didn’t have anywhere to store it when we moved.

Top Bottom