seedling growth question? progressing ok?

• Thread starter buzzedplumber
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
buzzedplumber

buzzedplumber

wondering if everything looks good to more experienced growers. I am a new grower. I am growing Blue Sprayed Shoes in a DWC setup. The seed was placed in a rapid rooter starter plug dry (seed not soaked but rapid rooter soaked) and took 9 days to pop out and form its first serrated leaves. After that I put it in a net cup and put hydroton over to cover. The roots are forming nicely and the plant finally seems to be growing fairly quick. The pictures posted will be 9 days after I put the seed in the plug and the second pic will be from today which is 10 days from the first pic. Does everything look right so far? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
1 6cannabis
1 16 cannabis

Slinger

Slinger

Looks good. I too use rapid rooters and set in hydroton .
Watch your ph.

buzzedplumber

buzzedplumber

thanks man, its really growing good now. I was somewhat concerned with the progress but she's growing quick now. will keep the thread going with updates

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Took a long time to germinate mine usually pop in 24 hours but seedling looks fine, sometimes patience is a virtue.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
wondering if everything looks good to more experienced growers. I am a new grower. I am growing Blue Sprayed Shoes in a DWC setup. The seed was placed in a rapid rooter starter plug dry (seed not soaked but rapid rooter soaked) and took 9 days to pop out and form its first serrated leaves. After that I put it in a net cup and put hydroton over to cover. The roots are forming nicely and the plant finally seems to be growing fairly quick. The pictures posted will be 9 days after I put the seed in the plug and the second pic will be from today which is 10 days from the first pic. Does everything look right so far? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 1207323View attachment 1207324
Hey, looks good but 9 days to germinate is 7 days too long. Search on here for germination methods.. I soak overnight in spring water in small cup. I then soak a paper towel in the same water the seeds soaked in...wring out the towel damp not soaked. I use small tupperware containers some here use sandwich bags to put the towel in then seeds on top covered by another wrung out towel. I put in a warm location ( top of my aquarium ) I just bought a seedling mat that keeps the seedlings warm. Next day they have sprouts....

100 6540
Dye

Dye

I had 15 year old seeds germinate with the paper towel method in 5 days,
Newer seeds 2 to 3 days. Hey if it grows, sometimes older seeds have no vigor during veg.
Get it to flower stage, if she looks like crap, toss make room for something else.
Keep a eye on it, could be weak, which means it’s open to disease weather fluctuations, etc.
Had great plants with old seeds, and ones I tossed.

Right now I have a plant from 15 year old seed, it’s a healthy beast.
You just never know it’s alive
Just looked at pictures they look hell yes it’s a go, you never no though keep a eye on her.
Which is silly for me to say, new growers old growers we never take our eyes off of our plants.

I have old NL now some look good some are iffy.
Took 4 days but roots look good.
Sometime they can not even pop the shell off, I do that by hand and they grow fine.
I have killed a few.

Doctor doctor mr md please can you tell me, what’s ailing me.

Last edited:
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

With what and how will you be feeding them? I also have an issue with people using rapid rooters for dwc. Not trying to knock your method, just saying if you have issues once feeding, rockwool works way better.

Id say the rapid rooter was overwatered at the start, took a few days for the center do dry out and the seed to pop. Being they can be overwatered, setting them in a dwc system isnt ideal, but im sure could be done. I just have a feeling you will be more prone to uptake issues once you start feeding it.

Also fill it with pebbles and wrap that blue bucket in a towel or something to stop the light from entering. You dont want light touching the roots or the water. Even if you do have some issues for a few weeks, your roots should break through and the cube wont matter as much. Then you need to pick live or sterile. Few get lucky and dont choose one. Biggest issue will be root rot. To combat it you use bacteria(live); or agents that destroy the cell walls of bacteria/fungi (sterile).

Just keep us updated and all will go well. But thus far, your going good xept that slow start.

buzzedplumber

buzzedplumber

will definitely be taking all the great advice. she's grown a couple of inches since the original post and looks great. The rapid rooters were almost certainly over saturated. I'm getting some new seeds this weekend and starting a couple more plants. I started 1/4 strength Hydroponc Research veg+bloom and plan on using it throughout the grow. I am considering a tent for my grow. Any thoughts on 1 reservoir for DWC for 2 plants? Thanks again for all the great feedback.

GetOffMyLand

GetOffMyLand

drop the beans in water. after a day, tap them so they sink. then wait for it to crack

buzzedplumber

buzzedplumber

just thought I'd update those who are interested in my little girls development and ask another question. I am wondering about nutrients. I have been giving her about 1/4 strength nutrients for a little over a week now. Growth is noticeable throughout the day. Any suggestions about how much and when to increase. Thanks a million ya'll.
1 21 cannabis

freezeland2

freezeland2

just thought I'd update those who are interested in my little girls development and ask another question. I am wondering about nutrients. I have been giving her about 1/4 strength nutrients for a little over a week now. Growth is noticeable throughout the day. Any suggestions about how much and when to increase. Thanks a million ya'll.View attachment 1208893
Do you have the companion feed chart for the nutrients you are using? I’d caution though if you follow it that the recommended amounts are typically maximum amount. Less is almost always better.

buzzedplumber

buzzedplumber

Do you have the companion feed chart for the nutrients you are using? I’d caution though if you follow it that the recommended amounts are typically maximum amount. Less is almost always better.
yeah, i had to get it online. I'm using Hydroponic Research Veg+Bloom tap/hard. I gave it a little over a quarter of the minimum amount to be on the safe side. It calls for 4-6 grams per gallon. I have 3.5 gallons in my bucket and put 7 grams of nutes in the PH'd water. I'm probably over thinking it which is pretty normal. I was thinking maybe 10 grams on sunday. That said how do I know if its getting too much? It certainly looks to be ready for more.

freezeland2

freezeland2

yeah, i had to get it online. I'm using Hydroponic Research Veg+Bloom tap/hard. I gave it a little over a quarter of the minimum amount to be on the safe side. It calls for 4-6 grams per gallon. I have 3.5 gallons in my bucket and put 7 grams of nutes in the PH'd water. I'm probably over thinking it which is pretty normal. I was thinking maybe 10 grams on sunday. That said how do I know if its getting too much? It certainly looks to be ready for more.
The leaf tips burning will be the early indicator for over feeding. But what does the chart say as far as by week. Most are broke down to show week 1 - 4 of vegetative period and then week 1 -8 of flowering. After week 8 you got to kinda wing it, lol. But it will tell you how much of what for the week. Just be sure and back off the amounts.

buzzedplumber

buzzedplumber

keeping this thread updated... Since my last post I bought a 3x3 tent, up'd the nutrients to the low end of full strength, lowered the light to 24" above my plant, and put a small bedside humidifier in the tent. Everything seems to be going great. I did notice a very small discoloration in the left most leaf but I am not very concerned. The roots are also exploding. If anybody has any recommendations for improvements, I would be happy to take them.
1 25 cannabis

buzzedplumber

buzzedplumber

update and thoughts on my original thread...

as you can see my gal is doing great. I have learned a great deal in just one short month and I would like to share my experiences and reliefs with anybody who has the same anxieties I had. The plant was started in a rapid rooter starter plug, which I now feel was a mistake. The plant seemed to take forever to sprout. Once sprouted I babied her a bit more than I should have. I slowly introduced nutrients and she took right off. I carefully observed and, as crazy as it sounds, listened to her and she let me know exactly what was needed. Plenty of light and full strength nutrients are doing there thing. I will be trimming some of the lower branches a day after the nutrient water change done today. I am growing in a DWC setup and it couldn't be any easier. Long story short don't panic. It is an extremely hardy plant and can tolerate a lot.
Since then I took some excellent advice and started four more seeds using the soak and paper towel method. All four germinated and have since sprouted in 1.5" rockwool cubes with strong roots already poking out of the bottom. Very grateful for all of the great advice and encouragement I got from this forum. I would also like to give some propers to the good folks at Upstate Hydroponics in Elmira. Great knowledgeable people and fair prices.
2 3 cannabis

C

Chucktaylored

Hey, looks good but 9 days to germinate is 7 days too long. Search on here for germination methods.. I soak overnight in spring water in small cup. I then soak a paper towel in the same water the seeds soaked in...wring out the towel damp not soaked. I use small tupperware containers some here use sandwich bags to put the towel in then seeds on top covered by another wrung out towel. I put in a warm location ( top of my aquarium ) I just bought a seedling mat that keeps the seedlings warm. Next day they have sprouts....
Do you use your aquarium water at all?

Top Bottom