Seedling held shut by shell please help

• Thread starter GrowWeedQuestion
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowWeedQuestion

GrowWeedQuestion

There are pieces of the seed stuck to the tip of my seedling holding it closed, i watched a video and the guy just picked it off but its on there good and i dont want to pull hard and damage the seedling. What can i do?!?

Seedling held shut by shell please help
Seedling held shut by shell please help 2
NairnM16

NairnM16

There are pieces of the seed stuck to the tip of my seedling holding it closed, i watched a video and the guy just picked it off but its on there good and i dont want to pull hard and damage the seedling. What can i do?!?
Take a really small pin or something,
There’s a bit of cell-membrane sticking them together, be gentle and remove it
If not can sunt growth

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Yeah it's a pisser ain't it!
It can kill the seedling too, as said above use pin or similar to open it up.
Gotta get the green out to do work.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I would recommend just leaving it alone, but since you have already dealt with it.... FWIW, it is incredibly easy to damage a seed at that stage, since all of the plant's future starts with the very tiny new growth found inside the seed shell. I've grown for decades but still screw up seedlings trying to help, which can cause gimpy or distorted growth. I hope you were succesful, but the seeds will eventually split the shell and do fine on it's own... plants can split a rock into pieces, a shell is an easy task. The rots are developing at this stage and the shell can actually protect the seedling until it is ready to start growing after establishing some roots.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Is that for real? I have to disagree with that picture a seeds tap root uses gravity to know where down is not the posisiyion of the seed itself. No way all seeds fall and land perfectly, plus I've germed on plates that got forgotten about then noticed with a tap root that's 4 inches long, just poked a hole in dirt and threw it in wrapping the root into a bunch and never noticed a problem or stunt.

mancorn

mancorn

Is that for real? I have to disagree with that picture a seeds tap root uses gravity to know where down is not the posisiyion of the seed itself. No way all seeds fall and land perfectly, plus I've germed on plates that got forgotten about then noticed with a tap root that's 4 inches long, just poked a hole in dirt and threw it in wrapping the root into a bunch and never noticed a problem or stunt.

Nature isn't worries about every seed landing right. I think a majority of the time the big side would land down. Not that one that doesn't land perfect isn't going to grow, but might reduce their chance somewhat. But if you sprouts a seed (in a paper towel or what ever) and has the root showing, then the root must go down. It's too late for the flip action of the seed as it breaks ground and if you point the root up, the plant will burn up. Personally I just like to crack and go straight into dirt pointed end up..

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Nature isn't worries about every seed landing right. I think a majority of the time the big side would land down. Not that one that doesn't land perfect isn't going to grow, but might reduce their chance somewhat. But if you sprouts a seed (in a paper towel or what ever) and has the root showing, then the root must go down. It's too late for the flip action of the seed as it breaks ground and if you point the root up, the plant will burn up. Personally I just like to crack and go straight into dirt pointed end up..

Not in my experience. Tap root up helps the seed flip up through the dirt and shed the shell much better. I have not had a shell stuck on since i switched to tap root up. Tap root down it happened from time to time. Also faster sprouting resulted.

The breeder i was using that i highly respect for gardening knowledge sent me that diagram pic from an early century french textbook.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Early century we knew about as much as a blink of an eye compared to today tho.

Not ripping on ya but if it might actually lessen the chance of survival it not by any noticible difference I wouldn't think

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
In regards to the op. I would not have touched it personally as no way that seed will do as much damage as yourself taking it off.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

Nice so then I should not matter the direction of the seed itself. Now I know what' it actually called cheers.
I would say that tap root planted upwards may assist in shedding the seed hull, but science tells us that gravity dictates the direction in which roots (positive geotropism) and shoots (negative geotropism) grow. Positive geotropism...

~nugzz

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I would say that tap root planted upwards may assist in shedding the seed hull, but science tells us that gravity dictates the direction in which roots (positive geotropism) and shoots (negative geotropism) grow. Positive geotropism...

~nugzz

Then why are there pics of roots growing up and out of soil and cubes?

I have not had it happen personally. The growers usually have extremely high humidity when that happens. And what about upside down planters?

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
I would assume that survival is more powerful force than gravity.

No science to back this up but common sense, if the plant is lacking in something it's desperately seeking it would go against its instinct to grow roots down and grow them up to find what its looking for.

Or maybe some seeds are confused by all the liberal hippy where men can be feminists., like some of our children seem to be. Wink wink. Joke

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I would assume that survival is more powerful force than gravity.

No science to back this up but common sense, if the plant is lacking in something it's desperately seeking it would go against its instinct to grow roots down and grow them up to find what its looking for.

Or maybe some seeds are confused by all the liberal hippy where men can be feminists., like some of our children seem to be. Wink wink. Joke

The point is that i dont think gravity is how they work. They can grow sideways out of a crack. The roots look for the light and then turn round and find purchase in the soil. Then they grow and search for water and nutrients. Gravity is not the guiding factor.

Reactions: Ina
MGuY

MGuY

I usually spray warm water on the seedling and dome with a plastic cover. After a day they usually come off by themselves or with a little help with pins.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

Then why are there pics of roots growing up and out of soil and cubes?

I have not had it happen personally. The growers usually have extremely high humidity when that happens. And what about upside down planters?
I would venture to speculate that high humidity levels cause this, as roots also grow in search lf moisture.
The point is that i dont think gravity is how they work. They can grow sideways out of a crack. The roots look for the light and then turn round and find purchase in the soil. Then they grow and search for water and nutrients. Gravity is not the guiding factor.
You know that I love and respect your opinion, but to me, your statement is akin to saying that the Earth is flat. What are you basing your theory on? Or better yet, what is it that you theorize? You don't believe the science of geotropism; what is it that you believe? Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Last edited:
Top Bottom