Seedling Help (flood & Drain Hydroton)

• Thread starter fortphoenix
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fortphoenix

fortphoenix

I finally sprouted a couple seeds (afghan) in rapid rooters!! :) but i have a few questions! I used rapid rooters to germinate/sprout in a dome/tray and used a water bottle to spray and keep everything moist.. then after a week i transplanted to the hydroton. the bottom of the rapid rooters are like 1/4-1/2" from the flood level. I’m using an a/c 400w hps, like 10-12” from the tops on 24/7 and flood every 4 hours in 1 gallon pots. i already know i fucked these seeds up from over watering (they are drooping a bit) and transplant shock, i transplanted them on the 24th and like no vertical growth has occurred but the leaves yellowed a bit so i gave them 200ppm of maxigro and i think they’re just recovering now. but i have 2 more I’m transplanting tomorrow so i want to make sure i don’t mess things up on 2 new ak-48 seedlings, so heres my questions...

1. Once transplanted, should i water the rapid rooter directly? i was using a spray bottle but wasn’t directly watering the plug, just around it. also, should I still be flooding every 4 hours when watering from the top?
  2. How often should i water the top? when the plug is like really dry, like a beige color? or when its still kind of moist (light brown)? or should i just not hand-water them myself at all and make the roots stretch to the flood level?
  3. Is it safe to transplant into the flood table at such a young (1week) age? some people say to wait till the roots develop but logically i feel like the more roots sticking out the sides and stuff, the more damage can be done and more shock when transplanting. any thoughts?
  4. Should i put hydroton on top of the rapid rooter when in the pot or should i leave the rapid rooter uncovered?
  5. What could be causing the tips of the taproots to turn brown? the taproots on the afghans were brown and skinny/shriveled. i read some places it could be from light hitting it or under watering and some other stuff too… or maybe my heat mat?
  6. Also, i have a thermostatically controlled heat mat. when should i take it off?

Sorry i typed so much but i would really appreciate if you could help me out!!! thank you!!

hiboy

hiboy

400 watts 12" is too close that early.
Water direct on the rooter. If ur roots arent soaking when u flood ur plant needs top feeding. Once a day will do. Get a humidifier. 50% minimum.
Hb.

fortphoenix

fortphoenix

400 watts 12" is too close that early.
Water direct on the rooter. If ur roots arent soaking when u flood ur plant needs top feeding. Once a day will do. Get a humidifier. 50% minimum.
Hb.
thanks for the reply but damn, 50% minimum? my humidity is like 35-40% and i have like zero room left in the tent lol ill need to figure something out

fortphoenix

fortphoenix

heres a link to the gallery ... theres 3 different plants, the first 2 pics are of the plant that was the most promising but i think its now over watered. the second 2 pics are of another afghan plant that i never planted, just wanted to see how it would do without being potted for 2 weeks and the last 2 pics are of the plant that seemed like everything was going decent (besides transplant shock) and now it has a slight droop and the cotyledons are turning like yellowish color around the edges and a purplish/gey color in the center of the cotyledons... though i must say i think the new leaves on the plants in the pot grew a tiny bit since last night they are still drooping. any thoughts?

fortphoenix

fortphoenix

At least for veg
Get a humidifier or 2
Hb
i just looked them up and they're smaller than i thought, thanks for the tip, also, judging by these pics would you say these plants are under or over watered? its hard to tell with seedlings

hiboy

hiboy

i just looked them up and they're smaller than i thought, thanks for the tip, also, judging by these pics would you say these plants are under or over watered? its hard to tell with seedlings
Link wouldn't come up. If u see leaves dropping that's a clue to water More.
Hb

fortphoenix

fortphoenix

theres 3 different plants, the first 2 pics are of the plant that was the most promising but i think its now over watered. the second 2 pics are of another afghan plant that i never planted, just wanted to see how it would do without being potted for 2 weeks and the last 2 pics are of the plant that seemed like everything was going decent (besides transplant shock) and now it has a slight droop and the cotyledons are turning like yellowish color around the edges and a purplish/gey color in the center of the cotyledons... though i must say i think the new leaves on the plants in the pot grew a tiny bit since last night they are still drooping. any thoughts?

Photo on 12 29 15 at 8 19 PM
Photo on 12 29 15 at 8 20 PM
Photo on 12 29 15 at 8 21 PM 2
Photo on 12 29 15 at 8 21 PM
Photo on 12 29 15 at 8 25 PM
Photo on 12 29 15 at 8 26 PM
fortphoenix

fortphoenix

Link wouldn't come up. If u see leaves dropping that's a clue to water More.
Hb
see them now? the problem is they're still so small so its like impossible to tell. if i had to guess on appearance id say they're over watered but then someone told me watering every 4 hours isn't enough for freshly planted seedlings so its hard to say. please look at the pics i reposted and tell me what you think. thank you

Top Bottom