seedling leaves turning horizontally -> over-watering?

• Thread starter skippyV
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

skippyV

This is a sativa strain, about 3 weeks old, only 4/5 inches high and as a noob I might have over-watered it.
Gets plenty of sun, southern VA area, in a raised bed with lots of worm castings and typical flower bed (Walmart) potting soil.
It has a nice green look and I used a (crappy) magnifying glass to examine under the leaves for broad mites, but saw nothing.
The new leaves are turning sideways - could this be from over-watering?
Seedling leaves turning horizontally   over watering

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
This is a sativa strain, about 3 weeks old, only 4/5 inches high and as a noob I might have over-watered it.
Gets plenty of sun, southern VA area, in a raised bed with lots of worm castings and typical flower bed (Walmart) potting soil.
It has a nice green look and I used a (crappy) magnifying glass to examine under the leaves for broad mites, but saw nothing.
The new leaves are turning sideways - could this be from over-watering?
View attachment 1998536
easy on the watering..
just keep an eye on her..

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
It's one of the mildest problems and a good first issue to deal with and get under your belt. These are the very earliest leaves, they won't have a big impact on future growth. You can easily and quickly correct this. And overall, it looks quite good. Follow what GNick says, stay in tune here, and you'll do great.

S

skippyV

are you letting that soil dry out?
what’s your watering habit?
rain?
Apologies upfront - I write like I talk - usually too much.
I germinated the seed.
Then made a hole in the flower bed soil, big enough to contain all the contents of a store bought 4oz bag of worm castings.
Then put the germinated seed in the middle of those castings.
I've read that this might be too much nitro for the seedling's roots but it seemed to sprout and grow as expected.

The flower bed is covered with this sad contraption I made with wood, pvc and green U-Haul box wrap.
I left a small part of the top open (opposite side of plant location) so the bed does get some rain from there and seeps through the flower bed sides a bit.
But for the most part I think my flower bed top keeps the majority of the rain water out.

Last week we were hammered with rain but I thought the soil immediately around the seedling was dry enough - so once a day I used about 1/4 cup of well water directly around the seedling.
Then I read about Mycorrhizae so got the "Wildroot Organic" version of that stuff, mixed it with a gallon of well water and used it for three of the waterings last week. Just a 1/4 cup each day.
Don't know if I can over-do it with that stuff but directions said to make sure the roots get soaked. But I'm not going to physically disturb its roots.
Too afraid of killing the little one.

The last couple of days, no water. I keep a fan going to try and dry out the whole bed. Seems pretty dry now.
Today the little one looks a bit perkier.

I'm trying to grow this plant in a covert manner - that is a much longer story which I shouldn't get into.
Hence the green wrap for the flower bed top, and some flowers and strawberries to share the bed. In an effort to "camouflage" the plant.

Last year, I just had strawberries and tomatoes in the bed - when I put it all together.
But they were extremely sad looking. Think of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.

Then I read about how artificial light can mess up marijuana grows - and my neighbor has outdoor lights that light up our backyard too, at random times.
So thought maybe that is why my tomatoes and berries were such a sad adventure.

So when this little one sprouted out of the worm castings, I made sure to throw a couple of tarps over the whole flower bed.
Put the tarps on at 7pm. Take them off at 5:30am. And when the weather permits, I open up the top. It has hinges I can flip the whole thing over with.
But then the solstice just happened and I worried that it was starting to try and seed, with the change in outdoor light.
And thought that is why the leaves were turning like that.

But you guys have reassured me.

Next year I'm thinking of rebuilding the top with opaque greenhouse poly. Will have to save my pennies for that purchase (just a poor boy from a poor family...)
But am open to any ideas from you guys.

420 flower box top 20230625
420 checking soil 20230625
S

skippyV

It's one of the mildest problems and a good first issue to deal with and get under your belt. These are the very earliest leaves, they won't have a big impact on future growth. You can easily and quickly correct this. And overall, it looks quite good. Follow what GNick says, stay in tune here, and you'll do great.
Good to hear!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok.. lots of info there..
you should be leaving it open at least until dusk/sunset..
when she’s become mature enough to flower it will with 14 hours of light or less and that’s probably 3-4 weeks away.. you kinda don’t want that happening..

Latest posts

Top Bottom