Seedling Lighting Options

• Thread starter Aquagrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Aquagrow

I used two 4ft. 40watt (T12/Plant-Aquarium) bulbs for seedlings on my first grow that worked out "ok". I want to upgrade to something better to start 20-25 plants and need advice as what to use. Any suggestions????

UrbanGardener

UrbanGardener

You can upgrade to a larger fluorescent fixture, something that houses up to 8 or so bulbs/tubes. Either that or go a Metal halide bulb with ballast.

A

Aquagrow

True...a bigger fixture with T12's could be an economical upgrade. I have 1000 watt mh and hps, just looking for seedling starter setup. Originally I decided not use the 1000 watt bulbs to save on energy expense for a week or two. I don't know if it makes more sense to just use the 1000 watt already.

A

Aquagrow

Decided to support my local grow-shop and purchased a Hydrofarm's commercial 4-bulb, 4ft, T5 setup with fixture.

UrbanGardener

UrbanGardener

Good to hear Aqua, I don't think you will be disappointed, inexpensive to run and great for clones also, good seedling and early veg option too, good luck!

A

Aquagrow

Only mistake I think I made with the t5's is placed them too close to my seedlings.
My seedlings look great but they are only 4-5 inches tall and its been almost 40 days in. Hope I didn't permanently stunt them!
I think i need stretch at this point.

T

TwoCreeks

I don't think flourescents can be too close to your seedlings. If they are too far away you will get too much stretch.

All these seedlings are right at 40 days. They spent just about a month under T-5s and 10 days under 1000w HPS. Not a great picture, but the smaller ones are about a foot tall.

IMG_7977.JPG

G

greenblood

They'd (Flo or CFL) have to almost be touching the plants in order to be too close....

When I use CFL or Flo with seedlings or established cuttings, the light is like 1/2" away from the tops.

P

paulycali

hey auquaman the t-5 is perfect for seedlings and clones! great pick for the new light. doesnt give off much heat and is very efficient

A

Aquagrow

T5's were about an inch from top seedling leafs. Ph-pen callibration was off and believe I kept them in FF-Light Warrior too long. Also should have seeded in a slightly smaller cup.
My 2nd grow...still learning. Plants are now 10-12 inches in height and look great but think I slowed vegging a bit.

C

CanadianClassic

what are they in like soil wise?? and ya the T-5 was a great choice i was gonna recommend that until i scrolled down and seen you already bought one haha Goodjob! I use the T-5 its great theres Vids on Utube of a guy who strictly flowers with just T-5's and he doesn't get MASSIVE buds like from HID lighting but they are pretty damn nice for the low cost of hydro(but i wouldn't recommend it if you can afford HID) GoodLuck with the Ladies!:420::420:

A

Aquagrow

Using FFOF as far as soil. Next grow plan on using promix-bx w/additives.
Considered "topping" but threads on training methods has me running in circles..... (topping,fimming, LST,supercropping, etc.) Might leave them do there own thing this grow. Only snipping i've done was some lower growth clean-up.
My Pineapple Chunk fem freebie has crazy genetics!

T

ThreeFingers

For seedlings and clones theres nothing better for cost and heat issues T5's are the best imho

Top Bottom