Seedling Looking Discolored And Brown Spots?

• Thread starter mrsmith
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrsmith

Can anyone help me determine what is going wrong here? It’s about 15 days old. Growing in canna coco. 2 T12 6500K bulbs. I’ve got 3 Critical Purple Autos and 2 of them are doing this.

Seedling looking discolored and brown spots
M

mrsmith

Can anyone help me determine what is going wrong here? It’s about 15 days old. Growing in canna coco. 2 T12 6500K bulbs. I’ve got 3 Critical Purple Autos and 2 of them are doing this.

Canna coco was flushed with RO [email protected] to start.

At 6 days I watered with a 1 gal mix of 3.5ml calmag and 1.25ML Superthrive. PPM 145 PH 6.0. Watered till I had steady run off then stopped.

At 12 Days I watered with a 1 gal mix of 1.25ML Silica Blast, 1.25ml Calmag, .75 ML FloraMicro and .75ML of FloraBloom. PPM 282 PH 5.95

I noticed the issues at 14 days old. Not sure if the last watering had too much or if it can even develops like its showing within 2 days, I don’t recall seeing it at all around days 9-10 for sure.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Why do you keep adding CalMag? I know that it's needed for RO if used for a while, but seedling like these shouldn't be showing any deficiencies yet. The leaves look sort of pale, although different cameras and monitors can cause it to look strange. I use Promix, which is fairly similar, but use regular tap water, which is roughly 150-200 ppm. I just use general 20-20-20 nutes, with composted manure and wood ashes added to the Promix to enhance it's water holding capabilities and to supply a lot of the micronutrients. I'm not familiar with a lot of the new specialized nutrients, so I can't offer too much advice there. Otherwise, the plant doesn't look too bad. Is your local tap water bad? Sometimes it seems better to get your calcium and magnesium naturally, but it depends on the local water and grower's preferences.

Shroomtrips

Shroomtrips

Canna coco was flushed with RO [email protected] to start.

At 6 days I watered with a 1 gal mix of 3.5ml calmag and 1.25ML Superthrive. PPM 145 PH 6.0. Watered till I had steady run off then stopped.

At 12 Days I watered with a 1 gal mix of 1.25ML Silica Blast, 1.25ml Calmag, .75 ML FloraMicro and .75ML of FloraBloom. PPM 282 PH 5.95

I noticed the issues at 14 days old. Not sure if the last watering had too much or if it can even develops like its showing within 2 days, I don’t recall seeing it at all around days 9-10 for sure.

Stop superthrive. You only need a fee drops per gallon. I had same issues when started in coco... Leaves started curling and discolouring. I stopped using superthrive in big amounts - boom no problems. If u add calmag, use like 1ml gal or something.

M

mrsmith

Why do you keep adding CalMag? I know that it's needed for RO if used for a while, but seedling like these shouldn't be showing any deficiencies yet. The leaves look sort of pale, although different cameras and monitors can cause it to look strange. I use Promix, which is fairly similar, but use regular tap water, which is roughly 150-200 ppm. I just use general 20-20-20 nutes, with composted manure and wood ashes added to the Promix to enhance it's water holding capabilities and to supply a lot of the micronutrients. I'm not familiar with a lot of the new specialized nutrients, so I can't offer too much advice there. Otherwise, the plant doesn't look too bad. Is your local tap water bad? Sometimes it seems better to get your calcium and magnesium naturally, but it depends on the local water and grower's preferences.
I assumed that’s probably where my problem is lying. (Inexperienced with feed schedule). My tap water is pretty high in Calcium for sure and comes out around 350PPM so I just liked the idea of starting with a blank slate to be able and control each nutrient.

M

mrsmith

Stop superthrive. You only need a fee drops per gallon. I had same issues when started in coco... Leaves started curling and discolouring. I stopped using superthrive in big amounts - boom no problems. If u add calmag, use like 1ml gal or something.
I’ll give that a try, also would you be able to tell me if it’s best to flush with RO or flush with the exact mix of nutrients I’m looking for?

Shroomtrips

Shroomtrips

Idk man if i ever flushed i did it in the bath with warm runing unphed tap water and it always worked well.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I've only flushed once or twice in decades, but it was when I was younger, impatient, and of the mindset that more nutrients surely will result in more/bigger buds. Live and learned. When I flushed, I just used tap water, but while my water is considered hard, it isn't rock hard, maybe 200-250...perfect for not needing to worry about calcium or magnesium. I flushed using about 2 gallons of water of your choice, made sure I had a good outflow from the bottom of the container, then repeated it two or three more times, letting it drain fully before doing it again. This is the quickest way to remove water soluble nutrients, and you might want to have a dilute solution of nutes ready for when the remainder is used up in your containers. Flushing usually gets rid of everything, so the plant is going to get hungry quickly...just go easy on the nutes if you think it was overfed before you flushed.

Shroomtrips

Shroomtrips

I've only flushed once or twice in decades, but it was when I was younger, impatient, and of the mindset that more nutrients surely will result in more/bigger buds. Live and learned. When I flushed, I just used tap water, but while my water is considered hard, it isn't rock hard, maybe 200-250...perfect for not needing to worry about calcium or magnesium. I flushed using about 2 gallons of water of your choice, made sure I had a good outflow from the bottom of the container, then repeated it two or three more times, letting it drain fully before doing it again. This is the quickest way to remove water soluble nutrients, and you might want to have a dilute solution of nutes ready for when the remainder is used up in your containers. Flushing usually gets rid of everything, so the plant is going to get hungry quickly...just go easy on the nutes if you think it was overfed before you flushed.

I live in the area where tapwater is .6 ec(300ppm) and i still have to add 50ml calmag to 70 litre tank for my feedings otherwise they show deficiency. God knows whats in that water. 3 chems 2.0 and zkittlez at the back. Canna coco range, day 43 since flip.

IMG 20190326 165850
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I usually add some wood ashes and composted manure to Promix, so that probably explains why I don't need any Calcium or Magnesium added, although 300 PPM sounds pretty good to me out of the tap. I've never grown outside of this area, so I don't have any experience on how much they need, on average. You look like you have things pretty well dialed in, though!

Madmax

Madmax

I got the same on my babies but outdoors this season using coco coir for the first time added to soil.
I did use some cal mag but it seemed to just grow out of it..using coco tends to not let the cal go easily as it binds to coco coir and is not easily released.in chelated form it widens the availability to plant and is able to b wrapped up and transported to your plant more easily..

Shroomtrips

Shroomtrips

I usually add some wood ashes and composted manure to Promix, so that probably explains why I don't need any Calcium or Magnesium added, although 300 PPM sounds pretty good to me out of the tap. I've never grown outside of this area, so I don't have any experience on how much they need, on average. You look like you have things pretty well dialed in, though!

Thanks mate, i will count the chicken once eggs hatch. I had a hermie, tossed it out but i think it pollinated some buds because i found a seed in a sample bud from the bottom of the plant. Wondering how many seeds i will get and how much damage to the yield that hermie did. The buds are stacking up nicely by the look but who knows. I see 30% orange pistils and hope that they are just dead but not pollinated lol. The strain is zkittlez by flavour chasers, says 7-9 weeks on the pack and it is day 45 today. Ive checked trichs on some buds and they are nice big headed mushrooms with 50/50 clear/milky. About good week to go i would say.

And about water... I dont see any ill effects on my plants even if it is at .6 ec. Never had any experience growing somewhere else. I bought a RO filter just out of curiousity but it makes me ill to watch that much water going to waste...

P.S. Sorry for hacking the thread. Peace

IMG 20190327 165920
Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thanks mate, i will count the chicken once eggs hatch. I had a hermie, tossed it out but i think it pollinated some buds because i found a seed in a sample bud from the bottom of the plant. Wondering how many seeds i will get and how much damage to the yield that hermie did. The buds are stacking up nicely by the look but who knows. I see 30% orange pistils and hope that they are just dead but not pollinated lol. The strain is zkittlez by flavour chasers, says 7-9 weeks on the pack and it is day 45 today. Ive checked trichs on some buds and they are nice big headed mushrooms with 50/50 clear/milky. About good week to go i would say.

And about water... I dont see any ill effects on my plants even if it is at .6 ec. Never had any experience growing somewhere else. I bought a RO filter just out of curiousity but it makes me ill to watch that much water going to waste...

P.S. Sorry for hacking the thread. Peace
Things look good! I don't have much experience growing some of the newer hybrids...they all seem to be shorter than plants I used to grow years back, but I never really had concerns about growing in a tent, which seems to be the way to go for many. Speaking of bad luck, your hermed plant might work out well, since you will get feminized seeds from them if mature...who knows, your new "strain" might be the next Northern Lights #1!

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

I dunno if this has been mentioned already as I didn't read every reply but in coco it's supposed to always be wet.water every day with fresh nutes and your grow rate should start to get faster and more healthy looking.coco isn't like soil were it needs to be left to dry out between watering .it needs to be fed at least once a day.

Top Bottom