Seedling problem

• Thread starter sconefirm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sconefirm

sconefirm

Hi guys,

This is my first setup and grow so please be kind ;)

My setup:
- 1x1x2m tent
- 600w dual spec HPS with reflector
- 6inch fan
- Black Orchid Mixed-flo 100 filter kit (exhaust system)
- Second in-line fan to pump fresh air in

I've set up the tent and put in my seedlings in there on the 14th of March. I'm running a 20/4 cycle since then.

Today I have noticed that the leaves are starting to look a bit weird, they're shiny, some of the leaves have yellow burns at the end of them, can be noticed once zoomed in on picture. I have been using 6.5 ph water to water them. I have given them 0 nutrients as they're still very young. Can any one help me with the problem? I think it could be heat or light problem but I'm unsure, the temperatures inside get roughly to 32-33 degrees C. With the fan 6 inch fan switched on, I measure around 28 degree C due to the wind. Only 2 out of 4 affected so far

Thank you

Seedling problem
Seedling problem 2
Seedling problem 3
Seedling problem 4
Seedling problem 5
Seedling problem 6
Seedling problem 7
Seedling problem 8
Seedling problem 9
Seedling problem 10
DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

As long as you're not giving nutes & ph control is good then keep on doing what you're doing, they are fine, seedlings have energy 1st few weeks of life, they will eat 1st set of leaves (rounded ones, cant remember proper name) when they are ready for nutes. Sometimes they overeat a little & get slight tip burn in younger stages.
Increase humidity to about 70% if you can tho, other than that you're good, just keep close watch on tips to make sure it doesnt get worse

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So you don't want to be hitting them with that clip fan for starts, what's that Medium?

What the back of your hands at the height of the plant and hold it there for 30 seconds and feel how hot that light is on the back of your hand

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

Angle fan so just providing airflow, little air is good, makes stems stronger but more as gets older less when baby

WankirA

WankirA

What are they planted in (incase they are already using soil nutes) and what was distance bewtween light n top of leaves?
Also, a light /heat combo with warm dry air could be prob (more likely with HID) but raise light 6 or even 12 inches if concerned, check in 24 for possible stretch effect (means too far away) to be sure and i'd use the base half of a 3L cola bottle as a humidity dome for first 3 weeks to ensure humidity is kept high; spraying inside with phd water.
Only to avoid potential issues, otherwise you have it all heading in the right direction.

Incidentally @sconefirm , buckle up buddy, for a newbie its gonna be bumpy ride....
Enjoy and dont be afraid to ask questions..
Good luck.

Last edited:
sconefirm

sconefirm

As long as you're not giving nutes & ph control is good then keep on doing what you're doing, they are fine, seedlings have energy 1st few weeks of life, they will eat 1st set of leaves (rounded ones, cant remember proper name) when they are ready for nutes. Sometimes they overeat a little & get slight tip burn in younger stages.
Increase humidity to about 70% if you can tho, other than that you're good, just keep close watch on tips to make sure it doesnt get worse

I've just added a bowl with water in there to try increase it, any other ideas ? Thanks for your reply pal

sconefirm

sconefirm

So you don't want to be hitting them with that clip fan for starts, what's that Medium?

What the back of your hands at the height of the plant and hold it there for 30 seconds and feel how hot that light is on the back of your hand

Thanks for your reply mate, I've just adjusted the fan so that it blows just above them with small bit of wind hitting the plants. I've put my hand in there held it for nearly a minute and it wasnt burning me, it was warm though. The temperature sitting in there at 32 degree C and I'm unsure how to bring it down

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

I've just added a bowl with water in there to try increase it, any other ideas ? Thanks for your reply pal
Bowl of water in front of fan helps in small spaces, may not be enough, could dome them temporarily until they get big enough to create their own humidity, post above explained a bit

sconefirm

sconefirm

What are they planted in (incase they are already using soil nutes) and what was distance bewtween light n top of leaves?
Also, a light /heat combo with warm dry air could be prob (more likely with HID) but raise light 6 or even 12 inches if concerned, check in 24 for possible stretch effect (means too far away) to be sure and i'd use the base half of a 3L cola bottle as a humidity dome for first 3 weeks to ensure humidity is kept high; spraying inside with phd water.
Only to avoid potential issues, otherwise you have it all heading in the right direction.

Incidentally @sconefirm , buckle up buddy, for a newbie its gonna be bumpy ride....
Enjoy and dont be afraid to ask questions..
Good luck.
Thanks for that ! I appreciate your reply.
I'm unsure of the name of the soil, all I remember was that it was organic, and yes it did have nutes in it, the soil came with the grow tent kit and the guy in the store said it has enough nutes for first 2 weeks. The lights were about 16 inches from the top of the plant to the bulb, I've just raised the light to 22 inches and will check them again tomorrow for stretching.

With the 3L Domes, will it not get too hot inside there? It's already pretty hot at 32-33 degree C. I'm struggling in bringing it down. Can you advise on this ? Thanks again

I'm well aware it's going to be a bumpy ride but I'm looking forward to it very much :D I'm all up for learning ;)

sconefirm

sconefirm

Bowl of water in front of fan helps in small spaces, may not be enough, could dome them temporarily until they get big enough to create their own humidity, post above explained a bit

No problem thanks I will try that, but I'm concerned it will get way too hot inside there?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks for your reply mate, I've just adjusted the fan so that it blows just above them with small bit of wind hitting the plants. I've put my hand in there held it for nearly a minute and it wasnt burning me, it was warm though. The temperature sitting in there at 32 degree C and I'm unsure how to bring it down
okay so next time you don't want to use that Medium, you want to use something you know because you never want to give seedlings nutrients

you've got the fan adjusted to blow between the light in the plants not on the plants although a little bit is okay but not right now give it a minute

How are you checking your pH & whats your tap water PPM?

Is that 600 watt light adjustable if so turn it down to the lowest setting or else raise it up, judge by the back of your hand test

Ps. Your humidity has nothing to do with it

sconefirm

sconefirm

okay so next time you don't want to use that Medium, you want to use something you know because you never want to give seedlings nutrients

you've got the fan adjusted to blow between the light in the plants not on the plants although a little bit is okay but not right now give it a minute

How are you checking your pH & whats your tap water PPM?

Is that 600 watt light adjustable if so turn it down to the lowest setting or else raise it up, judge by the back of your hand test

Ps. Your humidity has nothing to do with it

No problem thanks, I will find out tomorrow exactly what soil it was and keep you updated.

I've adjusted the fan just like you recommend.

I've got a cheap pH meter of Amazon to check the pH and also use the pH liquid test. I was not able to test the PPM of water yet because the meter is arriving next week. But tap water is between 0.6 to 0.8 PPM here.

I've the ballast set to 400W since the start but the heat problem still persists

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

No problem thanks, I will find out tomorrow exactly what soil it was and keep you updated.

I've adjusted the fan just like you recommend.

I've got a cheap pH meter of Amazon to check the pH and also use the pH liquid test. I was not able to test the PPM of water yet because the meter is arriving next week. But tap water is between 0.6 to 0.8 PPM here.

I've the ballast set to 400W since the start but the heat problem still persists
They don't look bad I've had seedlings do that I'm not exactly sure why, but find out the PPM of your water it could be a little high? keep your pH 6.5 & make sure your meter is calibrated (it probably came with those little packets)

Don't Panic they don't look bad, and don't go making a lot of changes it's fastest way to screw it up worse believe me, just do what you're doing until you get your ppm meter

Edit: I was just reading above and whatever you do do NOT put a humidity Dome on those, that's about the worst thing you can do

Also find out if that Medium is peat based or coco, because if it's Coco 6.5 is too high and that could be causing issues

Last edited:
sconefirm

sconefirm

They don't look bad I've had seedlings do that I'm not exactly sure why, but find out the PPM of your water it could be a little high? keep your pH 6.5 & make sure your meter is calibrated (it probably came with those little packets)

Don't Panic they don't look bad, and don't go making a lot of changes it's fastest way to screw it up worse believe me, just do what you're doing until you get your ppm meter

Edit: I was just reading above and whatever you do do NOT put a humidity Dome on those, that's about the worst thing you can do

Also find out if that Medium is peat based or coco, because if it's Coco 6.5 is too high and that could be causing issues

Thanks mate, hopefully they grow in to nice things for me :) I'll keep you updated on the PPM next week once I get the meter. I'm not sure the electronic pH meter is accurate when I put it in to the soil as it always show 7-8 even though I water it with 6.0 -6.5. I've just ordered some proper meter to keep it accurate.

I've checked the ballast and I've found it I can lower it as far as 250W, I've done that for next week or 2 until they get a bit bigger. This brought down the temperature in the tent to 27.8 degrees C.

Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated

sconefirm

sconefirm

I found out the soil that I used was BioBuzz Light Mix from Dutch organics

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

You know who you need to talk to he's on a bit of a Sabbatical but he should be back before long is @PipeCarver , he was just talking about this stuff in my thread the beach house in grow journals the other day, he likes it

I use Pro mix I think it's pretty close to the same you want 6.2 in peat (I use 6.4 cuz when I mix my nutrients that's what it comes to) but the main thing for you is to get that PPM meter and check out what your tap water reads, that's going to be important going forward! until then keep doing what you're doing doesn't look bad, good luck!

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey scone , HPS are hot , just watch out for that throughout the entire grow , not just the seedling stage , you can get screwed even as the plants are looking good and entering flower phase , 24 inches would be minium without air cooled hood , just watch the temps ,
One of the worse things to do is slow the race once the starting gun goes off , watch the temps.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom