Seedling Problems

• Thread starter jdogdabface
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jdogdabface

jdogdabface

Ive recently encountered some problems with my seedlings. Im sprouting my seeds in 1 cup pots, with Miracle grow seedling soil, I know your thinking already that this is a bad idea, but I have experimented with several soils and have had problems with large chunks of soil, and heavy soil preventing my seeds from sprouting, so I tried to find a very light soil, that was mostly nutrient free, and Miracle grow Seedling soil seemed like the best thing my store had. My light is a Sunlight supply 54w 2ft 4 bulb florescent to sprout the seedlings, and I'm using a heat pad. After I've successfully sprouted my seeds, and it has its first set of leaves I transfer into a quart container so i can transition from the seedling soil to Fox farm light warrior, I put my sprouted seedlings into the new pots and soil and this is where I start getting maad problems.
It starts with the leaves on the bottom of the plant, it turns crispy yellow then brown, then wilts away, i see this and remove the leaves, but the next day it happens again. Theres only approx. 3 tiers of leaves so after awhile it consumes the whole plant. Ive had very successful harvests in the past but i don't know whats going on. Ive tried watering it with 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water, because I've noticed all the perlite has turned brown. Ive also noticed that it seems the water just sits in the pots and doesn't dry out properly. So the other day i got the idea that possibly i should have left the seedling in the 1 cup pot for longer to establish roots until transplanting. I thought that possibly since the plant wasn't big enough, it in turn wasn't eating up enough water, so the water was just sitting in the pot and eventually culturing and creating problems . So I pulled my seedling out of the quart pot, (i hadn't watered for 5 days) and it was just wet warm muck, I couldn't see any roots what so ever on the outside, then I took my scissors and started cutting into this wet block of muck, most of the soil fell off the outside easily but then i got to a mass of roots and starter trimming the roots down, i thought that i could trim the roots down and put it back into the cup pot for a little while to re establish roots. While i was cutting through the roots i found a spot of mold, i guess not a spot, more like a jelly bean sized clump of this gross furry blue cheese looking shit. Ive already wasted a 12 pack of Bodhi seeds Tigermelon, A 5 pack of Durango OG from La plata labs, and now my Exotic genetic Grease monkeys are going under. I NEED HELP. Im spending way to much on this bullshit and its soo unfortunate.What do i do? New soil? New pot size? Am i keeping them on the heat pad for too long? Is there a way for me to revive my Durango Og seedling before they get fully consumed, and to stop the Grease monkey seeds before they get too bad. Please any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Ill post a pic later today.

2thaleft

2thaleft

First of all where did you get the Durango og from? Every where I look is out of stock. Now to your problems. First you don't need any nutes or soil with ANY NUTES in it because it will burn and kill your plants every time. Your light is perfect.
This is what you need to do. Get 3 paper towels together damp in reg water so they are wet but not dripping, fold them in half then half again and place the seed in between the last fold. Place the towels in a zip lock bag and get all the air out. Wait 3 to 4 days and open it up and you will have sprouts. Then in dixie cups use an "inert" meaning no nute medium like coco or rock wool and place the sprout in there root down so the seed is barley covered. Make sure there is drainage ( small cuts on bottom of your cups) standing water will kill your plant no matter how old or young they are. Don't use any nutes of any kind until third set of leaves not including the the tear drop leaves. Those very first leaves have nutrients in them to feed seedlings. Then you can feed nutes with your waterings at a very light ppm. I only use liquid karma and or sea green for seedlings for the first 3 weeks or so.then a really light ppm of veg nutes

jdogdabface

jdogdabface

I really appreciate your response. I got my seeds from seedsherenow.com
I use to order off attitude but never again, these guys ship out of the US.

jdogdabface

jdogdabface

Im almost sure its a disease thats causing all my seeds to parish. I got a 3 in 1 spray, and I'm mixing in a few drops of neem oil because there is none in the formula. I also have done hydrogen peroxide drenches and my problem is persisting. Some suggestions would be great!

xenon730

xenon730

do you not put any drainage holes in? even the thickest soil would leak some. are you just using the cups with no holes in the bottom or something? how do you have standing water for extended periods at all? the things you're saying sound mega wrong. we need photos or you to explain better because it sounds like your letting seedlings sit in a cup with no drainage holes in the bottom or you're clogging them or something.

incogneato

incogneato

Did you figure out what the problem was? Sounds familiar to what happened to me

Latest posts

Top Bottom