Seedling trouble

• Thread starter Zjones303
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zjones303

Zjones303

Hello Gang,
New to growing. First seed started in soil, in same soil now about 2 weeks old and the leaves are doing weird stuff. It appears to be nutrient issues but I'm not feeding it yet. Maybe the soil is too rich? Foxfarm ocean forest. Im using a light listed as 1000w led and I was having trouble with heat for a day or 2 but got that regulated. I also thing maybe I'm over watering it but it doesnt look comparible to other images of overwatered plants but my new eyes dont really know. Im over thinking and I know I need to slow down. Just want to make sure I am learning from my mistakes. Any thoughts?

Seedling trouble
Seedling trouble 2
Seedling trouble 3
ru knuts

ru knuts

From my research ocean forest is quite hot for seedlings and won't need any nutrient for 3-4 weeks, but there are people here who's use it, hopefully they will chime in with a definite answer, I'm only going by what I have read.

mancorn

mancorn

I don't think OF is as hot as it once was. I use it for seeds, but agree with knuts that it will not need additional feeding for the first month or so. The wrinkled leaves are fairly common when the plant is really young, so wouldn't stress. You have a fairly big pot for the plant at this point so easy to over water.

Grab yourself a $10 jewlers loupe (Amazon) so you can inspect the undersides of your leaves. You'll need it throughout your grow. Looks like you're indoors, so probably not an issue, but thrips and aphids cause leaf wrinkling where they pierce the plant tissue (and real common this time of year outdoors).

It does look like your node spacing is pretty tight. I'm not an indoor grower, but you might want to reduce your night temperature if the plant stays bunched up.

Zjones303

Zjones303

Hello Gang,
New to growing. First seed started in soil, in same soil now about 2 weeks old and the leaves are doing weird stuff. It appears to be nutrient issues but I'm not feeding it yet. Maybe the soil is too rich? Foxfarm ocean forest. Im using a light listed as 1000w led and I was having trouble with heat for a day or 2 but got that regulated. I also thing maybe I'm over watering it but it doesnt look comparible to other images of overwatered plants but my new eyes dont really know. Im over thinking and I know I need to slow down. Just want to make sure I am learning from my mistakes. Any thoughts?
Also, temps around 74-76 during the day and 68-70 at night. Humidity between 30-40% rh.

ru knuts

ru knuts

It shows replaces a 1000watt hps. The actual power draw, as asked, is probably more in the range of 210 actual watts. We've all made this mistake, myself included.

Zjones303

Zjones303

It shows replaces a 1000watt hps. The actual power draw, as asked, is probably more in the range of 210 actual watts. We've all made this mistake, myself included.
Yes. Sorry. You are right. From the site I think it states 220

Screenshot 20200407 200924 Amazon Shopping
quirk

quirk

Look at your spec sheet to find actual draw, That being said I think the combination of moving to a larger pot and light being to close might have it a little stressed. Try 24" and see if it perks up over next 12-24hrs. Good luck Zjones, it's a good looking seedling.

ru knuts

ru knuts

If it was me, I'd set the light at 36" above the plant id it has veg/bloom switch and only veg switch on. If it doesn't have switched 42". Becareful not to overeater. It doesn't look like it's in any danger. I wouldnt make any drastic or knee jerk adjustments.

Zjones303

Zjones303

I saw this after my post. Look at the recommended height for seedlings. Try to raise humidity to 50-60%, raise light to 30" and you'll be farting through silk.
LOL! Awesome. Thank you so much. I'll give that a go and see what I get (that I don't kill my baby lol)

quirk

quirk

@ru knuts has the better suggestion at 36". May get you some node spacing down the line as well as perking up.

mancorn

mancorn

Look at your spec sheet to find actual draw, That being said I think the combination of moving to a larger pot and light being to close might have it a little stressed. Try 24" and see if it perks up over next 12-24hrs. Good luck Zjones, it's a good looking seedling.
Most wi-if smart plugs will show actual draw. If you're using one, check the app.

Zjones303

Zjones303

Most wi-if smart plugs will show actual draw. If you're using one, check the app.
Not using one yet becuase I wasnt sure how reliable those plugs are with grow lights. I feel like they might burn out?

Zjones303

Zjones303

Yeah it doesnt have the switch so I'm at 38" which is high as I could go with my current tent. And it started doing to the curling yesterday and my moved to bigger pot today in an Adventure Time -Death in blossom-esque attempt to do something. Im overacting :( I should have come here before I started doing anything. Learning though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom