Seedlings and Light

• Thread starter davey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

davey

Searched this and cant seem to find much on it.
How many hours a day would ya leave a 600hps on over seedlings? I have it on 24hrs now. The light is approximately 4 foot above them I was planning on keeping it that far above em untill all the plants have mature leaves?? Right or Wrong??
Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave

Misterdirt

Misterdirt

That sounds OK to me. You might be able to bring the light closer, depending on the temp in your grow room/tent/setup.

I don't think the light intensity would be the problem. Heat would be the problem.

I

ibTheMan

That seems like ah lot of light for seedlings maybe you should try some t-5's.

J

jack_ripa

I put a handy little 100 watt MH about 6 inches above just for such occasions. I can't see burning that much electricity for those babies.

D

davey

Thanks for the advice lads, theyre all veging now anyway, stuck with the original setup cause no where open over the xmas here. Kinda off the original topic but called into my local grow shop today to inquire bout a cheap to run light for a mother plant they had a 200watt cfl light for reasonable money but from reading your posts would i be better off getting two and veging all my plants under one of these and save the 600watt hps for flowering? Will it make a big difference to elec bill?
Planning on keeping mother in unused wardrobe with the 200 watt cfl and a fan in with it and will have propagation tray(s) in there with clones, then switch to my grow tent. Will it work do ya think without extraction fan? I can leave the door open for a few hours a day. Will the fan cause the clones rockwool in the propagation trays to dry out?
Thanks again for any help?

J

jack_ripa

They don't need a lot of air at that stage but some would be good. Temps can really slow things down if they get too high.

Not using the 600 watt for seedlings would definitely cut electric costs but you want to use it after you get them a little bushier.

One of the missed concepts about growing weed is getting the plants to "ramp up" growth. If you have a bunch of stages, they take time to adjust whereas if you give them increasingly more light they slowly go nutso all the way through bloom.

Y

Ya...The Pizza

One could pretty easily construct a hood for a few cfls and have plenty light for seedlings with minimal energy waste. As for myself I'm all about the 8 x 4ft t-5. love it for veg! I even threw one in the flowering chamber, along with a 400w mh and a 600w hps. The results were very satisfying:)

R

RadMan

Searched this and cant seem to find much on it.
How many hours a day would ya leave a 600hps on over seedlings? I have it on 24hrs now. The light is approximately 4 foot above them I was planning on keeping it that far above em untill all the plants have mature leaves?? Right or Wrong??
Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave

You should be using MH for veg and HPS for flowering..

But then again I've heard that some people use HPS for both to speed the grow..

I'm using 2x1000W MH on 3" seedlings right now at 34" above the tallest one and they are doing just fine :)

DSC 0883
DSC 0885
Misterdirt

Misterdirt

No doubt you'll save on electricity costs if you have a smaller light for seedlings and early vegging.

I've got a 1000W MH/HPS setup, and I use a few cfl bulbs for very early seedlings. I am wasting electricity aplenty when I stick those little plants under the 1000W MH. Most of the light hits no plant part at all.

Before I start another grow, I'm getting a t5 fixture so I stop wasting money during the first several weeks.

O

ookiimata

After reading many pro-growers claim they saw no noticeable difference in vegging under HPS compared to MH, I began doing that and haven't looked back since. It's definitely debatable, and looking at the spectrums MH would seem a hands-down winner, but I've been happy with using HPS through veg and flower, with flourescents on the seedlings. Switching to compact fluoros in the grow I'm about to start to save even more electricity in the first few weeks.

C

CT Guy

Take a look at the Philips 400W CMH bulb. Great spectrum, can use for veg and flower, cheaper, long lasting.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I put a 400MH or 600MH over my seeds as soon as I plant them in the dirt, they pop in 2 to 4 days and never look back, most people fail because the plant stretches and falls over and dies because of low light. I put the 600 about 18" away and the 400 about 12". You will also find this information on seed grower sites, Sannies seeds has the info posted there for a start. Peace

Top Bottom