Seedlings died!

• Thread starter Trebla
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Trebla

so i planted my Tahoe OG kush seeds and Larry OG seeds in soil after they germinated they popped out nicley but all of the sudden they fell over and died! im thinking maybe the soil i used (black gold mix with coco)that caused them to die?? please help as i have more seeds germinating and dont want this to happen again!

R

Rolln J

how far away and what kind of lights are you using?

black gold isnt what I would call hot soil and mixed with coco should be fine - I suspect your lights may have been too far away and the babies reached till the were spent and died.

K

KushMaster707

woah bro that sucks after i germ my seeds i throw em in ffof and they do just fine

L

Limeygreen

Did you see any black or brown spots on the stems or any constricting on the stem anywhere? What about the roots, were they nobbly or brown or slimy? If it was damping off you can always use no damp and hold back on the water a bit maybe or try adding some air to the mix, perlite? Was the coco fine fibres or chunky? Was the coco rinsed first, some coco is salty as all hell and needs to be rinsed first, I have received coco that was around 2 or 3 e.c. before. And what rolling j said, if the lights are too far away you're fucked or are too close you're fucked.

T

Trebla

i would say they were about a foot away? flourecent lights i think the 60w flourecent bought at walmart...and the coco was already in the soil i bought it was fine fibers not chunky...is a foot away 2 far away?? cuz i noticed they streched and fell over

M

muxee

When I put my seedlings into dirt, I put them in a cup that is about half full. I let them stretch for the light ( I use a T5 at 6-8 in from the seedings) for about a week and then I cover 1/2 - 2/3 of the stem up with more dirt. Roots will grow out from the covered portion of the stem and it keeps the plants from getting too lanky and breaking.

Hopefully that helps some. :damnhippie: Good luck with your next batch

S

Stargazer

Sounds like they dried out...

Any more info on the grow?

Watering schedule...ph...air flow. Close to any paint fumes?

Were they in a toxic tent?

Are you sure they died? Often times the top leaves get too large for a stretchy stem to support and they fall over...but are still alive.

Just checkin'...:D

G

GroHi

I often get the lanky stems that lean & even fall over... maybe i've got them too far off... usually x2 t5's at appx 10" up to start...? The standard flouro's I would imagine at no higher than 6" unless the temps are too warm...

Toothpicks make a good stake, or just fashioning one of those twist ties as you can then hook the seedling to it.

Replanting up the stems is pretty much standard w transplanting, so that helps balance out the bunch of seeds once you start veggin it.

I've only personally seen seedlings die from either drying out entirely or rot/DO... soil too wet, i.e., watering daily or multiple times per day. I'd watch out for this first & foremost. Peace & GL w the next batch!

EDIT~ suppose I dropped a fixture on a batch of seeds once & crushed a handful... forgot to mention that! ;-)

T

termite

soil issue

throw your current soil in the trash and use ROOTS soil better than FOX Farm by far stop germinating till you get roots soil then when you see what i mean pm me i need some seed

S

scrapiron

Why throw perfectly good soil away? This is a lighting issue. What color are your flourescents? Move the light closer, and make sure you have a 5000k or higher bulb. This will help slow streching.
Also Muxee had a good technique.

M.S.T.

M.S.T.

When I put my seedlings into dirt, I put them in a cup that is about half full. I let them stretch for the light ( I use a T5 at 6-8 in from the seedings) for about a week and then I cover 1/2 - 2/3 of the stem up with more dirt. Roots will grow out from the covered portion of the stem and it keeps the plants from getting too lanky and breaking.

Just wanted more opinions on this technique. This is how I did it for years. I have been hearing lately not to top off with dirt over old medium when transplantig because of stem rotting under new dirt. Anyone?

C

CAPO

I always just let em stretch then bury the stem deeper when I switch from cups to 1 gallons. They seem to just sprout roots out the stem, like a new clone would as they age.

M.S.T.

M.S.T.

Thanks Capo, that's what I always did. Sometimes I here somethin new and I get all P-noid. Maybe I medicate too much? Naaa!

4maggio

so i planted my Tahoe OG kush seeds and Larry OG seeds in soil after they germinated they popped out nicley but all of the sudden they fell over and died! im thinking maybe the soil i used (black gold mix with coco)that caused them to die?? please help as i have more seeds germinating and dont want this to happen again!

High Trebla.. you're not from Oxnard are you?
I have a freind with a similar name from Oxnard.

Although all the above solutions are possibilities, I too like and use the stretch and burry idea but
I have found that seedlings like high humidity and will dry out quickly without it (falling over). Mine used to die regularly too.

I put a clear 16oz plastic cup (with a couple holes drilled/burned into the bottom/top) over each baby and spray inside with plain water eevry day or two,
untill they have 2 sets of real leaves..

Latest posts

Top Bottom