Seedlings falling over, 15 days old

• Thread starter sealab
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I planted directly into a Fox Farms Ocean Forest and Perlite mixture, so I haven't given them any additional nutrients yet. Do you think I should start with a light supplement of nutres next feeding? I had heard that the Fox farms should be good for 3-4 weeks.

I have Botanicare Pure Blend Pro in both the Grow and Bloom varieties for when they are ready for feeding.
Nope they won't need nutes for some time in that media... once you start the PBP you can feed to runoff. Until then just keep the media 30-60%

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Next time you plant into a large cloth pot, put it in a pot saucer/dish large enough for it. Water from the top, water from the bottom (fill the dish with water and let the pot soak it up). Then plant your transplant. After that it will be several days before you have to water again.

In the case of tiny seedlings like this, it could be well over a week before they need to be watered again.

sealab

sealab

a light breeze will help the stems get sturdier as well. An oscillating fan works best for me
Yep, I have an oscillating fan going on the bottom of the tent. You just can't see it in the photos I took.

Next time you plant into a large cloth pot, put it in a pot saucer/dish large enough for it. Water from the top, water from the bottom (fill the dish with water and let the pot soak it up). Then plant your transplant. After that it will be several days before you have to water again.

In the case of tiny seedlings like this, it could be well over a week before they need to be watered again.

Nope they won't need nutes for some time in that media... once you start the PBP you can feed to runoff. Until then just keep the media 30-60%

Noted, thanks for the tip.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

read this write up aqua did on coco to get our watering down, FOFF is mainly coco and i would treat it as such. Watch out because even with the wetting agent coco can really easily become hydrophobic.

And next time you transplant this is my tek; fill your desired up pot to the level desired and then water the entire media, go ahead and dig around a bit and make sure its all wet then excavate the area where you want to plant checking the soil line by placing the cup or pot into the area excavated. Once its deep enough you want to sprinkle some mykos or greatwhite or whatever mycorizal product desired, then remove your plant from its pot and place into the hole fill hole around the plant with dirt then lightly compact the soil and shape a dish. next water the whole pot until run off. shouldn't take much. Now you mentioned that you want your roots to get oxygen, which you do but not in direct contact but rather moved thru your soil by microbes. Dry pockets from skipping watering it in will oxidize and burn back your roots. Ever left a root ball exposed? Dies back rather quick, turns brown and dies from exposure.

And some folks advise burying your seedling, I personally do not advocate this. Possibly when they are tiny and those little white stems can still be converted into root stock but i doubt it. My opinion is that a plant wants to be sedentary, it wants to face the same direction and wants to be buried at the same soil line it has always been at. Now heres a fact, when you transplant larger plants deep their stem will rot and will not grow roots naturally.

Just get some bag seeds and play around till you get it. Seedlings can be tricky at first but once you get it its really easy, i use T-5s like a foot away and have no stretch issues...

Last edited:
Rooke

Rooke

read this write up aqua did on coco to get our watering down, FOFF is mainly coco and i would treat it as such. Watch out because even with the wetting agent coco can really easily become hydrophobic.

And next time you transplant this is my tek; fill your desired up pot to the level desired and then water the entire media, go ahead and dig around a bit and make sure its all wet then excavate the area where you want to plant checking the soil line by placing the cup or pot into the area excavated. Once its deep enough you want to sprinkle some mykos or greatwhite or whatever mycorizal product desired, then remove your plant from its pot and place into the hole fill hole around the plant with dirt then lightly compact the soil and shape a dish. next water the whole pot until run off. shouldn't take much. Now you mentioned that you want your roots to get oxygen, which you do but not in direct contact but rather moved thru your soil by microbes. Dry pockets from skipping watering it in will oxidize and burn back your roots. Ever left a root ball exposed? Dies back rather quick, turns brown and dies from exposure.

And some folks advise burying your seedling and personally do not advocate this. Possibly when they are tiny and those little white stems can still be converted into root stock but i doubt it. My opinion is that a plant wants to be sedentary, it wants to face the same direction and wants to be buried at the same soil line it has always been at. Now heres a fact, when you transplant larger plants deep their stem will rot and will not grow roots naturally.

Just get some bag seeds and play around till you get it. Seedlings can be tricky at first but once you get it its really easy, i use T-5s like a foot away and have no stretch issues...
So well said man! Bag seeds taught me so much getting dialed into reading a plant. I wish all new growers would try growing them just to succeed when they purchase expensive beans, not such a hit on the wallet. I like to transplant frequently with mykos each time. Going from a solo to a 3 gallon pot is a bit much a 1 gallon pot would work well as far as controlling wet dry cycles they grow quick and in a couple of weeks it’s time to do it again but then you can do the mykos over again which is a bonus to your gals.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

thanks rooke! dixie cups totally suck, they never want to stand up in trays, hard to move and you have to cut or poke em'. total pain but works if your broke. years back i bought some nice rigid trays with 1gal pots that fit eight to a tray, a great investment and still use them 4 years later on. I start in 1 gal and go to 5 gal and then to final soil base, the way i figure it is less transplanting more better. but I am just getting a jump on my outdoor and the head start timing with that amount of soil and transplanting works perfectly for me. plus with the cost of nice hard pots buying a ton of different sizes wasn't a option for me. i digress......i have seen it work in many different ways just fine if you know what your doing...
honestly people wanna get all riled up and have no clue, i have seen volunteers with only water hit seven, eight feet tall, and yield a half pound. A lot of breeders story is throwing seeds out the window and having them sprout and falling in love. I threw seeds out all last winter and got three nice starts and a good female the performed very well for being in crap clay dirt with no fancy grow store stuff, got a quarter pound and did nothing different than i would for my sunflowers.

Rooke

Rooke

thanks rooke! dixie cups totally suck, they never want to stand up in trays, hard to move and you have to cut or poke em'. total pain but works if your broke. years back i bought some nice rigid trays with 1gal pots that fit eight to a tray, a great investment and still use them 4 years later on. I start in 1 gal and go to 5 gal and then to final soil base, the way i figure it is less transplanting more better. but I am just getting a jump on my outdoor and the head start timing with that amount of soil and transplanting works perfectly for me. plus with the cost of nice hard pots buying a ton of different sizes wasn't a option for me. i digress......i have seen it work in many different ways just fine if you know what your doing...
honestly people wanna get all riled up and have no clue, i have seen volunteers with only water hit seven, eight feet tall, and yield a half pound. A lot of breeders story is throwing seeds out the window and having them sprout and falling in love. I threw seeds out all last winter and got three nice starts and a good female the performed very well for being in crap clay dirt with no fancy grow store stuff, got a quarter pound and did nothing different than i would for my sunflowers.
hey there yeah I gave up on solo cups to tippy for me as well the seedling tray ones are much better easier to keep moisture proper. I like to transplant just before lights out. I don’t see any plant shock that way.

sealab

sealab

Moved this over to a new thread to track the progress of the rest of the grow, if anyone wants to follow along

SmokeApotamus

SmokeApotamus

Yes everything they all said as well as a good fan to blow on them. I always have my seedlings wobble in the wind and after a few days no more wobbling. It helps strengthen the root structure as well as the leaves and nodes. After a few days of the fan plus I run my lights 24/7 on my seedlings. You need to hydrate your soil prior to the transplant. At this point ad some hydrated soil to those and bring it up the stem and then press down and compress it some what and build it up. That adds plenty stability to the little guys. Good luck.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

FFOF is mainly sphagnum peat moss and compost, not coco.

Top Bottom