Seedlings Leaning

• Thread starter kckushing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kckushing

My plants are starting to lean. They are still in the original medium since i dont have money for the mesh pots and clay pebbles right now. They are still growing but im just worried about the leaning. I am trying to keep them propped up with a tooth pick. Any tips for a new grower?

derkaderk

derkaderk

What is the original medium?
What is the source of light?
How close to the plants is the light?
How long is your light on?
Do you have a fan on them?

K

kckushing

After germinating the seeds i moved them to this Jiffy self-watering greenhouse. I had them in my closet for the first week or 2. Now i have them in my window seal during the day and then turn on this like 60 watt halogen when the sun moves. The light is about a foot above the plants. There is a fan on them and they are getting some wind from the window being open.

Apollo13

Apollo13

I assume over watering, if u are in dirt. The clay things (hydroton ) are hydro. With such limited info on ur set up. I'm guessing ur overwatering and causing root rot and plants fall over.

Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

If your stalks are still in th infant stage not woody re pot going half way up the stem alternatively if u have room in your current pot add a bit of soil to give them extra support the stem below the soil will shoot new roots . plants chase light and seedlings will fall over chasing light as there stems are week . cheers peace

derkaderk

derkaderk

After germinating the seeds i moved them to this Jiffy self-watering greenhouse. I had them in my closet for the first week or 2. Now i have them in my window seal during the day and then turn on this like 60 watt halogen when the sun moves. The light is about a foot above the plants. There is a fan on them and they are getting some wind from the window being open.

IMHO, that light won't be doing anything for you...except give you some heat. I would recommend using soil and put them outside if that is the only light you have. If outside is not an option, find yourself a good CFL fixture.

Apollo13

Apollo13

Listen to derkaderk, you should read on this site as much as u possibly can before u kill them.

420circuit

420circuit

Right after sprouting they like to reach too high and tip over. I start them in plastic beer cups, with holes in the bottom, filled with Light Warrior soil, but only filled halway. When the seedling is getting too tall I just fill in a little more soil to support the stalk. Works like a charm. No nutes for those babies or they will burn up during this seedling phase.

Scotian Roc

Scotian Roc

Do you have a pic? I'm guessing if you're using a window, they are a bit stretched reaching for the light, so they are tall and lanky and then tent to fall over when this happens. If this is the case add more soil, and bury most of the stem, till there's only a couple inches outta the dirt.

Good luck

Top Bottom