Seedlings leaves Problem and Stunned growth.

• Thread starter goodbye95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
goodbye95

goodbye95

Hello everyone .
I have grown cannabis for the 10th time now and i am experiencing a problem with my seedlings.
The seeds are " jack herer " from sensi seeds
The seeds sprouted some days before and they started growing as tall as they can get , to the point they started leaning at the side . all of them
Light 18/6
I use biobizz products (soil , nutrients)
At this phase of the grow i give only root juice at a steady ph of 6,3 - 6,8
i give about 20 ml of water every 3 to 4 days.
The last 4 days the seedlings are stunned and the leaves of some of the plants are curling and begin to dry up and die .

Any help would be appreciated !

Seedlings leaves problem and stunned growth
Seedlings leaves problem and stunned growth 2
Seedlings leaves problem and stunned growth 3
NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

It's very easy to over water baby plants in big pots. It's better to start small and pot up. How high is your light above the plants, and what wattage?

goodbye95

goodbye95

So. It is overwatered indeed. So this is what i have done. After i searched some threads i found out that some of the guys that had similar problems have been underwatering their plants all this time.
So i thought my problem is this same.
i couldnt be more mistaken.
i watered the plants aboyt 100 ml each and immidiately after 10 mins their leaves dropped down like they died ( i then found out it is for sure overwatering. some of the stems have broken too from the weight and i used some tape to hold them in place)
After searching at the web i found out that i need to keep my overwatered seedlings at shade so i put a blanket just under the lights ( the lights are 300 watt LED but i have it at 0% intensity {lux 11000}
ANY FURTHER ADVICE WOULD BE SO Important to me right now . it might save my plants.

goodbye95

goodbye95

I have put a dehumidifier also and i run it at 50% moisture and 25 C temp.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

I would remove that blanket, turn your light up to 10% 30" away, make sure you have ample airflow in the space, get the pots off the floor somehow so the airflow can reach underneath them, raise the temp and humidity if possible, and don't water them until the pot feels light like it's almost empty, water the whole pot slowly until saturated, plant some backup seeds in some seed starter trays/plugs/etc, and keep reading on THCFarmer. They still have a chance. You can bury the stems to help keep them up.

goodbye95

goodbye95

So this what i have done based on what you proposed. First of all i dont have a humidifier only a dehumidifier but i run the grow tent in a 2 x 2 m bathroom with ventilation on top which is now turned off , so i suppose humidity can gather by its own. I put a paper box under the pots and put 2 fans at the level of the pots so there is more ventilation in the bottom levels. the temperature should go at least at 25 C since i moved the lights at 70 cm and raised the light intensity a bit. This is the best i can do with the options i have for now. Is there anything else i can do to raise humidity with alternative ways?

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Ideally you'd want a grate or something to raise the pots to allow the bottom fabric to be exposed to the air. The water will end up at the bottom of the pot and sit there if it isn't up off the ground with drainage and exposed to air. The seedling sends out a taproot to the bottom of the container and  then spreads roots throughout the pot. Your seedlings probably have taproots as long as they are, reaching down to the bottom of the pot sitting in the collected water. The roots need oxygen so it is important to let your media dry before watering again, or else you risk drowning your plants or worse, root rot.

goodbye95

goodbye95

Ok ill figure something out . Thanks for the advice pal. I REALLY appreciate. Though since i only added 100 ml of water to these 3 litres pots i dont really think the water will ever reach the bottom , But ill follow your advice just to be sure. Ill add photos in a week if they make it till there.

TSD

TSD

I find the best thing to raise my pots off the floor is a cooling rack, like what you use for baking and cooling cookies. It has little feet, it's a metal grid, and they are relatively cheap. You don't need a lot of space, just enough for some airflow. You'd probably need one for each two pots unlessyou can find big ones. You definitely need to get your watering practices under control or you'll have nothing but issues. Big pots with tiny seedlings are hard, especially fabric. Overwatering isn't too much water, it's watering to frequently. For example, I started mine in bigger pots this year, usually I do cups or small pots, then 1 gallon, then 2 or 3 if necessary... but this year I did the one gallon nursery pots that I filled with holes, which are technically .75 gallon. I saturated when I planted the seed and then didn't water again for like 9 days. Now they're getting bigger and actually drinking, they still go like 5-7 days between waterings. Environment also plays a role in how often you water, higher temps and airflow dry pots faster than cooler air that doesn't move. Here's a pic of the racks I use. I also have a heat mat under my black shoe tray so my roots don't get cold, even if my closet is 80, the air in between the floor and ceiling stays cold in my old house. The 2 in black pots are 19 days old.

20220429 084540
20220429 084355
Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just gott say you guys rock @NorthernOrganics and @TSD .

I agree they are bending away from the light its too much.

Water the pot to completely saturate the soil and because your in way to big of pots for those, tilt them on a 45 degree angle to get most of the water out of the saturation zone after

goodbye95

goodbye95

Why should i saturate the entire pot instead of giving little by little to have more control? I mean if i saturate the entire pot now with the rate they are drinking i wont be able to give water for the next 10 days at least . For example now , as i mentioned above, i give only 20 ml every 4 days and they have gone overwatered. Imagine giving 1 to 2 litres. Can someone explain ?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I think they are too far out of control. Thank you either have toBury them deeper in the pot or raise the side walls of the pot and add soil. Good luck

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

You
I find the best thing to raise my pots off the floor is a cooling rack, like what you use for baking and cooling cookies. It has little feet, it's a metal grid, and they are relatively cheap. You don't need a lot of space, just enough for some airflow. You'd probably need one for each two pots unlessyou can find big ones. You definitely need to get your watering practices under control or you'll have nothing but issues. Big pots with tiny seedlings are hard, especially fabric. Overwatering isn't too much water, it's watering to frequently. For example, I started mine in bigger pots this year, usually I do cups or small pots, then 1 gallon, then 2 or 3 if necessary... but this year I did the one gallon nursery pots that I filled with holes, which are technically .75 gallon. I saturated when I planted the seed and then didn't water again for like 9 days. Now they're getting bigger and actually drinking, they still go like 5-7 days between waterings. Environment also plays a role in how often you water, higher temps and airflow dry pots faster than cooler air that doesn't move. Here's a pic of the racks I use. I also have a heat mat under my black shoe tray so my roots don't get cold, even if my closet is 80, the air in between the floor and ceiling stays cold in my old house. The 2 in black pots are 19 days old.
You can get those cooling racks real cheap at thrift shops/second hand/resale shops. Also, you can get those lockermate locker shelves if you have a bit more budget. I like them because you can adjust the height if you need to.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Why should i saturate the entire pot instead of giving little by little to have more control? I mean if i saturate the entire pot now with the rate they are drinking i wont be able to give water for the next 10 days at least . For example now , as i mentioned above, i give only 20 ml every 4 days and they have gone overwatered. Imagine giving 1 to 2 litres. Can someone explain ?
Let me give you a link. You have to understand how water in the rootzone works and what over watering is. Its lack of o2 NOT to mich water.The key is to tilt the pots after. All your doing is creating uneven moisture content and that WILL create problems

Reactions: TSD

Latest posts

Top Bottom