Seedlings Reach 6" And Leaves Start Dying From Bottom Up.

• Thread starter untangle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

untangle

This is the second planting. My first seeds were shit...one germination out of 36. These seeds all germinated and sprotted in 96 hrs. They looked great till week 3 and the bottom leaves began to turn brown and die. They quit growing new growth and I'm at a loss. It happend to the one sprout which germinated before but now I've got 20 dying I'm afraid.
They are under a humidity dome with halligens warming between 60 and 90 and t8s above. It's hard to controle because of temps in the zero to 20 range but it's holding now between 60 and 75.
I'm new at this as far as growing weed goes. Anyone have a clue what going one? Please!

Tnelz

Tnelz

This is the second planting. My first seeds were shit...one germination out of 36. These seeds all germinated and sprotted in 96 hrs. They looked great till week 3 and the bottom leaves began to turn brown and die. They quit growing new growth and I'm at a loss. It happend to the one sprout which germinated before but now I've got 20 dying I'm afraid.
They are under a humidity dome with halligens warming between 60 and 90 and t8s above. It's hard to controle because of temps in the zero to 20 range but it's holding now between 60 and 75.
I'm new at this as far as growing weed goes. Anyone have a clue what going one? Please!
Brother u have a lot of reading to do. First get the dome off them. It's doing more harm than good. Halogens? Toss them out. Not a fan of the t8s. Go grab ur self some cfls if ur not going to use mh or hps. Or t5s. So not sure what medium ur in or ur pH or what ur feeding them. Seems as though u didn't do ur homework first. Not trying to be a dick but it's not as easy as growing marigolds. Your temp r way out of range. Study before u pop brother. Get the right lights and make sure u can keep the environment within proper limits. Feel like I'm beating u up man and it's not my intention but it really looks like u just aren't prepared to give it a real shot. Good luck man!

U

untangle

I know you're right and my constraints on location and environment are very limited. I know I'm not doing all I could but finances and hidng it all from living companions is challenging. I can't afford t5s and I hope my next crop will be much better. Don't feel bad about beating me up because that's why I posted is for input rather than swim longer in my ignorence. I'm reading as fast as I can and there's so much to learn.
I can move them to a new location tomorrow where I have insulation and more controle over temps.

bigjay420

bigjay420

I know you're right and my constraints on location and environment are very limited. I know I'm not doing all I could but finances and hidng it all from living companions is challenging. I can't afford t5s and I hope my next crop will be much better. Don't feel bad about beating me up because that's why I posted is for input rather than swim longer in my ignorence. I'm reading as fast as I can and there's so much to learn.
I can move them to a new location tomorrow where I have insulation and more controle over temps.
You can go to walmart and get cfl "grow lights" for $15 after tax. You're just wasting your time (and beans) using halogen lights. Also... you can't just plant seeds in some dirt. You need an (at least semi) amended soil. Then you'll have to feed the plants. They dont magically get nutrition. It must be provided. Look into Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil and their line of base nutes. They're perfect for new growers to get plants started and learn feeding schedules. Also, there's NO WAY you'll be able to hide a flowering plant from roommates (parents?). Even with a carbon filter.

As @Tnelz said... You have a LOT of research to do.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Brother u have a lot of reading to do. First get the dome off them. It's doing more harm than good. Halogens? Toss them out. Not a fan of the t8s. Go grab ur self some cfls if ur not going to use mh or hps. Or t5s. So not sure what medium ur in or ur pH or what ur feeding them. Seems as though u didn't do ur homework first. Not trying to be a dick but it's not as easy as growing marigolds. Your temp r way out of range. Study before u pop brother. Get the right lights and make sure u can keep the environment within proper limits. Feel like I'm beating u up man and it's not my intention but it really looks like u just aren't prepared to give it a real shot. Good luck man!
T8s are fine, you've just gotta keep 'em crammed down on the plants and mix the bulbs right. :p

I agree with you on temps, he needs them to be approaching 70*F for the seedlings to grow, and TOTALLY agree on the dome, it's just NOT needed, ever, for starting seeds.
Get an electric blanket, fold it carefully so as not to have any pinched wires. Fit that into a contractor's trash bag, then tape that bitch up really well. Set something on top to help it level out (cookie sheet? that'll work!), then put your seedlings on top of that, no dome, with the light crammed down tight over 'em. Use shop light (T8s), get warm and daylight bulbs, if you're using a 2-light fixture get one of each.

It's just a plant, give it halfway decent conditions and it'll grow. It may not be great, but it'll be YOURS. The best way to learn how to do this is by doing it.

U

untangle

T8s are fine, you've just gotta keep 'em crammed down on the plants and mix the bulbs right. :p

I agree with you on temps, he needs them to be approaching 70*F for the seedlings to grow, and TOTALLY agree on the dome, it's just NOT needed, ever, for starting seeds.

Get an electric blanket, fold it carefully so as not to have any pinched wires. Fit that into a contractor's trash bag, then tape that bitch up really well. Set something on top to help it level out (cookie sheet? that'll work!), then put your seedlings on top of that, no dome, with the light crammed down tight over 'em. Use shop light (T8s), get warm and daylight bulbs, if you're using a 2-light fixture get one of each.

It's just a plant, give it halfway decent conditions and it'll grow. It may not be great, but it'll be YOURS. The best way to learn how to do this is by doing it.
The only reason the halogens are close is to provide heat in the frigid north. I started them in a shed used for storage that only I go in. I set up another 24 sq.ft. insulated room which I'm moving them to today. I'm using T8 6500 bulbs which I read on here seemed to work well. I'll check out the cfl at Walmart today and get some nutes. I do have them in potting soil but haven't feed them yet thinking I might burn them at 3 weeks. The dome was mainly for humidity and holding heat in. It's snowing and 20 degrees out here.
Thank you all for your input.

Tnelz

Tnelz

The only reason the halogens are close is to provide heat in the frigid north. I started them in a shed used for storage that only I go in. I set up another 24 sq.ft. insulated room which I'm moving them to today. I'm using T8 6500 bulbs which I read on here seemed to work well. I'll check out the cfl at Walmart today and get some nutes. I do have them in potting soil but haven't feed them yet thinking I might burn them at 3 weeks. The dome was mainly for humidity and holding heat in. It's snowing and 20 degrees out here.
Thank you all for your input.
Get rid of the dome. To much humidity is awful. Better to have to little. Good luck!

Don Peppy

Don Peppy

I use a little heating pad, the ones for a sore back. I place a folded bath towl over it, and set it on low. And never use a dome with seeds. Only for clones. My first grow was not the best either. And I still hit a bump in the road now and then. Good luck

U

untangle

You can go to walmart and get cfl "grow lights" for $15 after tax. You're just wasting your time (and beans) using halogen lights. Also... you can't just plant seeds in some dirt. You need an (at least semi) amended soil. Then you'll have to feed the plants. They dont magically get nutrition. It must be provided. Look into Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil and their line of base nutes. They're perfect for new growers to get plants started and learn feeding schedules. Also, there's NO WAY you'll be able to hide a flowering plant from roommates (parents?). Even with a carbon filter.

As @Tnelz said... You have a LOT of research to do.
My local Walmart didn't have CFL grow lights but my local farm and garden store did for $12. I also purchased 2 125 watt CFL's on line for $35 apiece.
Transplanting went well and everything perked up with Fox Farm nuits. Thanks for your help bigjay420.

Latest posts

Top Bottom