Seedlings - To Cover Or Not - My Results

• Thread starter Eastwind
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Eastwind

Eastwind

Into my second week of my first grow. Northern Lights in a 2x2x5, 73F, 56RH, using CFLs, 230w (real), 16,000L, 6,500K, tap water. I was using this first grow as a "learn by doing/mistakes" test, to get my skills and closet together. So far so good....13 plants out of 16 germinated are healthy and on their way up. I tried a few different things when I planted the popped seeds just to see what the difference would be. When first planted in solo cups with baggies on top for climate control. Some of the plants I 'hardened off" early...taking off the plastic cover when they were 1 1/2" tall...others I still have the plastic on top. The soil, water, temps...everything else was the same, save that one plant was 3 days older, except the covering. In the pics below you see the covered plant on the right, pic #1. Pic #2 shows a comparison with the cover off (plant on the right).....the plant on the right, while being 3 days younger that the one on the left, has larger leafs and a thicker stem. Pic #3 shows a side view...the older plant on the left, that grew uncovered, grew tall and thin...the covered plant stayed squat and grew wider faster. This result was the same between all my covered and uncovered plants. Is this because it is better to leave them covered for the first couple weeks? Is the stable climate produced by the cover what led to the consistent good growth of those plants? If so, I will keep the covers on all my plants next time around. Can anyone give me a good timetable for removing the cover to let in the room air?

Seedlings   to cover or not   my results
Seedlings   to cover or not   my results 2
Seedlings   to cover or not   my results 3
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
personally I wouldnt leave them covered for too long. They need C02 and in my mind by covering you are limiting this vital element. I do find it interesting that you found improved growth in the covered phenos if I read correctly. I would be interested to hear others pipe in as to why that would be. Could it be just a diff in pheno's ? Not sure.

Eastwind

Eastwind

personally I wouldnt leave them covered for too long. They need C02 and in my mind by covering you are limiting this vital element. I do find it interesting that you found improved growth in the covered phenos if I read correctly. I would be interested to hear others pipe in as to why that would be. Could it be just a diff in pheno's ? Not sure.

Even the covered ones had a small rip in the side of the bag...maybe 1/4"...so that air could get in. With fans going in the room...I thought this would get them used to the rooms air a little at a time...making the rip hole larger as the days went by. Yes...you did read correctly...all the covered plants did better...and very consistent in appearances, size, rate of growth. If I just lucked onto the right combination for my grow area....I should stick with it.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Agreed , if it workx dont fix it. Interesting to say the least. Good grow karma coming your way. If you need any help along the way feel free to reach out!! Peace

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Love the avatar BTW used to kick around the Haight way back in the day. :cool::smoking:

Smerb

Smerb

Just a tad bit of info, the ez-clone, the real product, states that the dome isn't needed. Weed probably has a hard time growing in a rain forest. Forget all that humidity, but your bags are open a little and your plants look fine. Grow for it!

Eastwind

Eastwind

Agreed , if it workx dont fix it. Interesting to say the least. Good grow karma coming your way. If you need any help along the way feel free to reach out!! Peace

Thanks for your offer friend....I welcome help from those further down the road than me. This has been a crash course in learning to grow...but only loosing 3 to beginners errors ....I am happy and having fun with this. BTW...(my avatar), my old stomping grounds also..(lived at the Haight Hotel, Haight & Cole Sts in 68 as a 16yr old runaway...lol).

xavier7995

xavier7995

I would think the higher humidity would be a big help and the contributing factor to your success. I like your baggy method. I tried using large plastic containers but JC was correct that a lack of air exchange caused issues. Since they(baggies) are not totally secure, best of both worlds. My plastic containers sat flush against the surface.

It seems that most nurseries and greenhouses I have been in strive for highest humidity possible so that is sort of a guiding principal I have used. Trying to manage my environment has been a struggle since moving to CO, holy crap is it easy to grow stuff in the Midwest by comparison.

Eastwind

Eastwind

I would think the higher humidity would be a big help and the contributing factor to your success. I like your baggy method. I tried using large plastic containers but JC was correct that a lack of air exchange caused issues. Since they(baggies) are not totally secure, best of both worlds. My plastic containers sat flush against the surface.

It seems that most nurseries and greenhouses I have been in strive for highest humidity possible so that is sort of a guiding principal I have used. Trying to manage my environment has been a struggle since moving to CO, holy crap is it easy to grow stuff in the Midwest by comparison.

Hey X7995, I tried a few ways & container widths. When I had to stretch the baggie tight around the edge...very humid, but no air exchange...on those I started tearing a little bit at the baggie seam...gave it a 1/4 to 1/2" opening for air...the solo cup containers are smaller in width...the baggie pulls over the top, but air can get in thru the sides...and with 2 fans going...air gets in there...solo cup with baggie...all those plants just grew right by their siblings...amazing growth !

chopper dogg

chopper dogg

Do not cover ever (unless cloning), the humidity with covering will promote plant killing diseases. Mandala seeds has a very good article on this subject and my own experience is that the article is spot on.

Eastwind

Eastwind

Do not cover ever (unless cloning), the humidity with covering will promote plant killing diseases. Mandala seeds has a very good article on this subject and my own experience is that the article is spot on.

Thanks chopper dog....I will check out the article.

Top Bottom