seeds directly sinked when i put them into a glass of water

• Thread starter charlesweedmore
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

charlesweedmore

hi

i bought 5 WW and 5 skunk #1 ( both feminized and both of them is seedsman ) from attitude and i put them a glass of water to crack.

however,some of seeds directly sinked as soon as when i put into water while others floating .after 5-6 hours,all seeds sinked and i put all of them into rockwool cubes.
deoes it mean directly sinked seeds are dead ?

C

Charles Xavier

Greetings charlesweedmore

Some seeds are simply initially denser (heavier) than others because of an internal greater water content. In other words: some seeds sink immediately, others take time.

Sincerely,
Charles.

C

chunkymunky

charlesweedmore, just wanted to give a shout out.
i am addicted to Lost. great nick and avatar.

C

charlesweedmore

:party0044: thanks chunkymunky

@Charles Xavier

i didnt know that ,i was in panic. i am relax now :sun

S

SmokeMan

You are fine. Some seeds sink right away & some dont. The fat round seeds usually always sink. The small ones seem to float. But you can leave the seeds in the water until you see cracks. Just make sure the water is PH'd just right.

P

Peks

Do not keep them in water for more than 24h. After 24h take them out and put them into wet paper towel.

B

blueskies

Sorry to tell you this peks but there is nothin wrong with puttin them in water longer than 24hrs.

L

l33t

what is the longest you 've left a seed in water before you took it out of the glass blueskies?

I 've seen pics of seeds(floating) with well developed taproot in glass of water but I ve never left seeds for more than 24-36 hrs myself.. I don't really soak seeds to be honest tho , only old ones or seeds from hard to germ strains. Usually go strait with wet towels or in wet soil.

F

frankie-smiles

Yeah, I've drowned a few seeds myself.:sad0123:
I use a slightly damp hand towel now, its amazing how little water it takes to germ a seed. Less is more for me on the waterfront, maybe I'm just a clusterfuck when i comes to germing though. Glass of water= mushy seeds for me.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
For fresh seeds I soak them in a glass of warm PH'd tap water with a drop of superthrive for 1 Hour at the most!! Then straight into coco or soil. I use tap water because it has a small amount of chlorine in it to kill off any bacteria on the outside of the seed.Great results. ROOT

C

Chesney

My friend put a seed in a shot glass with plain tap water and put it in a draw and forgot about it for a week!, was absolutely fine lol. Had a long tap root though.

C

CrippledCrow

Seeds soak any longer then 48 hours will likely suffer from oxy deprivation. I use a lil heat and soak over night adn usaully have tails from 12 - 24 hours then I go directly to soil.

B

blueskies

It works well with warm to slightly hot water with first droppin seeds. After 24hrs to 36 you may want to change the water. This is one way to gurantee germination! Ive seen people report on the paper towel method but guess what... water is by far the fastest. Do make sure that you store the cup or whatever you choose somewere kind of warm. The water technique sucks in cold temp rooms. to answer your ques Ive started some of outlaw genetics magic merlin and there were just a few that didnt do anything in the water within 48hrs. I forgot about them noticed 4to 5 days later that they had popped and had completely removed the shell off layin at the bottom of the water!

A

andytoker

blueskies -with respect, just because your seeds survived 5 days submerged in water doesnt mean it is good advice to do it.

one way that gardeners kill weeds and their seeds is to submerge them in water for a couple of weeks before putting them on the compost heap!

i soak for 12 hours max and then straight into soil. i have lots of books about horticulture and not one of them advises you to germ any type of seeds in paper towel before planting it .
i know that is the most popular way amongst weed growers but a germinating seed is the most delicate stage of plant growth and there is a high risk of some damage to the tiny root hairs by ripping them off a paper towel and planting them.

if i knew for sure that my seeds were really fresh i wouldnt even soak them - just plant them. soaking helps older seeds that have lost some of their natural water content

Top Bottom