SEEDS: Generational Degeneration? a Myth?

• Thread starter froggymountain
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

froggymountain

Does a strain degenerate back to "powerless" Hemp after a few generations? or do the seeds retain their genetic strength?

Information on the web is quite confusing on this subject and the movie "Hemplands" features a Kentucky USA Hemp farmer who claims that a THC rich strain will revert to a potent-deprived variety after a few generations if seeds are harvested and used.

This seems logical if the plants are hybridized but not if they are true parents.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If the genes are still there, then it seems that one could breed for expression of hemp as easily as for psychoactive cannabis. But that they would revert simply because their seedstock is being used? That makes no sense to me. Perhaps if the plant were left to its own devices, once humans are gone, it will go back to being hemp.

Or, the Grey Ones will keep the good lines going.

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

If this were true i'd say that good ole "Mexi" weed would have been hemp years ago. Remember how many seeds we used to have to pick out. It doesn't seem like they were culling males or hermies for years down there and it hasn't turned out to be hemp yet. Sometimes i kick myself thinking back of how many seeds were thrown away. Not to say that they would be all good but everyone is looking for these land race type sativas now for crosses. Shit i grew out mexi bag seed way back in the early 90's and it went for top dollar. Its all about how you treat the plant and they haven't been too nice down south for over 30 years.
I'd agree w/ Smaiden about the fact that if left to its own devices the plant would most likely lose most of its strength. Kind of like what has happened in places like Jamaica. Looks like weed growing all over the place, but its just that. Fucking weeds.

convex

convex

Scuzy brought up the magic term 'landrace'.

Many POWERFUL landraces out there ... they seed out in nature for many, many generations yet retain psycho-activity.

Cheers

Blaze

Blaze

From what I have seen most modern strains will start to revert back to their "wild side" after a few generations of inbreeding or back-crossing. This is not always true, but IMO it definitely takes a good amount of selection once you get past that f1 or f2 stage with modern strains to prevent deterioration. Also, I think often the dominant traits tend to not be the traits that we humans always want either. Traits like high potency, and purple coloration, tend to be recessive from what I have noticed. Traits like extreme vigor and high yield often go hand in hand with lower potency and poor quality, so though those traits are good for the plant form a survival stand point, they are not usually what we human want (Unless maybe you are a cash cropper who cares nothing of quality, and there are plenty of growers out there like that.) Hence, the undesirable traits start to pop back up again when modern strains are haphazardly bred with no selection.

I'm no scientist though, so I can't say for sure this is how it works, and I can't cite any solid scientific info to back up that claim, it is just what I have observed. You have to remember that 99.99% of our strains today are hybridized, there are virtually no true parents left out there. When dealing with a true landrace I would think the genetics would be much more stable and less likely to deteriorate over just a few generations. Finding good, unrelated genetics, to create true F1's has become very hard IMO.

Oh and Sea you can select for the expression of hemp, I know someone that more or less did that. They were growing some old school Mexi strain, that at one point may have been good, but they inbred it for like 10-15 generations with the ONLY consideration being yield. The result: an early, "bullet proof" plant that was high yield and super vigorous, but that produced buds that were almost totally 100% absent of trichrome heads and smelled and tasted like wet hay.

Top Bottom