Seeds, how deep?

• Thread starter Madbud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madbud

Madbud

Germinated these guys nearly an inch deep in HappyFrog, no helmets! How many times have i had to help get the shell off and here there isnt even one laying around. Apparently the soil pulls it off when the seed is a little deeper.
Seeds how deep

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I go thumb first knuckle depth is about a 3/4 “ seems to never fail .

mancorn

mancorn

If you get the pointed end (root) facing up the root does a 180 and the cotyledons move through the soil like a clock hand from 6 to 12, which pulls the seed casing off. (The plant doesn't grow straight up, but unfolds, kind of like the Alien when it was in Ripley's escape bod.)

Last edited:
Madbud

Madbud

If you get the pointed end (root) facing up the root does a 180 and the cotyledons move through the soil like a clock hand from 6 to 12, which pulls the seed casing off. (The plant doesn't grow straight up, but unfolds, kind of like the Alien when it was in Ripley's escape bod.)View attachment 965657
The pointed end splits, the round end is the hinge, isn’t it? These four seeds just tumbled into the holes, travelling up a minimum inch in soil pulled them off clean.

mancorn

mancorn

Technically my pic above is upside down. This one is easier to visualize and you can see how the cotyledons are going to "sweep" through the dirt as it straightens out and comes above ground. (The whole plant in this pic would be below ground.)

Last edited:
quirk

quirk

Technically my pic above is upside down. This one is easier to visualize and you can see how the cotyledons are going to "sweep" through the dirt as it straightens out and comes above ground. (The whole plant in this pic would be below ground.)
View attachment 965661
Great shots @mancorn. Appreciate it.

Top Bottom