Seeds not germinating!!

• Thread starter Dubstep
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dubstep

Hello people :) I have a problem with some of my seeds, they aren't germinating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They looked healthy when I put them in a wet paper towel and have cracked enough for me to see the white area inside (second day) but now it's been 5 days and they all still look the same! The root hasn't sprouted sprouted enough for them to be planted. The towel was always wet and not too wet.

What could have caused this and could they still be germinated?

P.S.- The seeds were covered with 2 plates and set on a heating pad on the lowest setting, sometimes it got too hot, so what is the minimum heat setting that would make it too hot for germination? My thermostat is retarded and is constantly at 19, I tried everything to get it to 22 but it won't work.

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Put em on a regular tea cup saucer or plastic food container in a moist paper towel and cover with foil.. leave em above your fridge and they should stay warm and humid enough. I use two or three drops of bleach to prevent mold and usually within three or four days they crack. Heating pads are good for clones but seeds don't need too much warming they just need darkness and moisture. Try, try again... could they be too old? Either way lose the heat pad sounds like you might be steaming your "unborn children".
:icon_spin:

convex

convex

Once the plump and crack, plant them - there is no reason to grow roots into your towels.

Cheers

G

green guy

This is a sure fire way to germinate tough to germ seeds:

http://youtu.be/dpKYEIt84qo

I put the sand paper inside a roll of pennies paper. That way its handy to reuse next time.
The timing on this method is critical. I only soak for 8 hours and then when I put the strainer wrapped with the face cloth under the slow dripping warm facuet I check after 24 hours and every couple of hours after that. You dont want them growing shoots as they can then be very delicate and easy to damage planting.

Top Shelf

Top Shelf

Here is a novel Idea, soak them overnight in water and plant them about 1/4 inch deep into small cups filled with seed starter potting mix. I get 100% almost every time after all thats how mother nature does it. Except the cups of course.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Add

If I have problems with stubborn seeds I'll add a little hydrogen peroxide (3%). Just add a little, maybe a capful or 2 and inspect them in a few hours and see if anything has changed. Hope this helps

mal

Latest posts

Top Bottom