Seeds to look for breeding male

• Thread starter gooey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gooey

Hey i am interested in making some seeds for myself to create some new genetic combos of my favorite clone onlys as well as have some seeds to store. anyways i have the clones i want to pollinate but i am not sure what would be the best company to go with in terms of a nice male...i have been thinking mr nice, chimera, billy goat, any ideas are apreciated thanks peace:help:

E

E.T.

it really depends on what you're looking for....do you like indica's, sativa's or a nice mix of both? are you looking to bring down the flowering times on some of the clones you already have, or give the high a little more of an 'up' feeling..?...
sometimes i like to pair extreme opposites together, while other times i'm looking add color...and yet other times i'm looking for a certain flavor, or adding some structure to a gimpy killer. what i'm trying to say is that it's all up to you and what you like. that's the point. create something specifically tailored to your desires and wants.
just my .02
breed on

G

gooey

totaly agree i could provide for specifics if you want but what i was mainly looking for was a preference on companys that you or anyone uses to select males from...my goals are rather simple and just for [personal use, but thatnks for your 2 cents i am going to pick whatever i feel is best i just feel alot of people jump on certain peoples work to breed with just because its hot and was hoping some peeps might have experience with certain companys being steady...peace

GhostFace

GhostFace

i myself like to select a male from somewhat stable genetics..or atleast pop a ton of beans and select a male out of a large group. taking any male from any line or a small group of males isnt my cup of tea. good luck on your ventures

Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

I'll second Tom Hill!
Deep Chunk is great breeding stock!

homebrew420

homebrew420

I think ET and Buildaforest said are right on. Billy Goat is truly an underrated seed breeder, everything of his I have run is fire. A keeper in every pack I found.
Tom hill runs very solid gear as well. stable long worked and open pollination ensure a wide expression of phenotype expression.
Some landrace varieties will also provide a solid starting point. They can be very different in every way however even within a stable population. So "worked" landrace like Cannabiogens Pakistani Citral Kush or Tom Hills X18 are both good examples.
There are simply too many to list and dependent on what your end goal is should ultimately determine the strain chosen.

Hope this helps.

Peace

Hb420

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
there are lots of good breeders here on the THCBay

But, Like Homebrew said,
I think you should hit em with some worked Landrace

just my 2 cents

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Deep Chunk is very dominant and even though it brings a lot to the mix it isn't the best thing to use if you are trying to preserve or get a good representation of the cut you are trying to keep around.

Lets say you want to preserve Chemdog D. You want to cross the fem cut of Chemdog D to something known to have Chemdog D in it and have a pheno in those seeds that is very Chemdog D dominant. In this case TresDawg would be a good choice.

A nice Afghani is what many people have used as breeding males. Afghani #1. The Alien craze right now is a good example. That original Alien was just a good pheno find in some Afghani seeds.

A basic blueprint could be if you have an indica or indica/sativa cut you could use an ibl Afghani #1. If you have a sativa you could use an ibl Original Haze, C99 or SSH.

Or you could make s1 seeds with all your cuts.

It will be a lot of trial an error but a lot of fun all along the way.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

fractal

fractal

You mentioned you like chimera's stuff, go for a strain of his that was made with DJ short's legendary blueberry jam male. There are several varieties out there by chimera and SOL that were made with that male blueberry selected from a huge population. I figure if that much effort went into selecting the male plant the resulting hybrids will give you a great chance of finding one of your own. Also one of the best varieties I ever grew or smoked I made myself with a male white widow from aloha seeds in amsterdam. Yeah it's white widow been around a long time but it is excellent for breeding and at this point white widow has that old school, haven't seen it in a while appeal. A good specimen is as potent and tasty as anything, will bring down flowering time of sativas and bag appeal is way up there.

johnursery

johnursery

if you want to find a good male to pair for a specific result i would suggest using IBL's well known strains that have familiar results, somthing like super skunk or northern lights you know what those bring to the table but what dominant or reccesive traits will your female carry? it would help to breed to a few different stable males first to know exactly what your female can bring to the table, from observing the offspring and charting the characteristics that carry from which strains...whatever route you take have fun on your breeding journey

Top Bottom