Seeing Spots, But No Mites

• Thread starter odogodo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
odogodo

odogodo

Hi Farmers,

Do you know what these spots are? I looked underneath the affected leaves with a 20x magnifier, but don't see any mites or anything else. What to do?

The plants are about 10 days into 12/12 lighting. They are being grown in soil. The spots are on a few leaves of the plants.

Thanks.

Spots top
Spots underside
odogodo

odogodo

Sorry if the answer to this has been posted already. I'm not sure I found it.

Here are the details (Thanks again.):

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
Seeds.
2. How old are your plants?
About 11 weeks.
3. How tall are your plants?
About 3'.
4. What size containers are they planted in?
3 gal.
5. What is your soil mix?
50% FFOF, 20% perlite, 30% EWC, plus per 1/gal: 1/3C Mexican Bat Guano, 1/2C Indonesian Bat Guano, 1TBS Kelp Meal, 1TBS greensand. (I screwed up the soil mix, because I also added guano/EWC tea to it. So it's too hot. Not sure if that's causing the spots.)
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?
About every 3rd day. Tap water left out to dechlorinate, with PH down added.
7. What is the pH of your water?
6.0-6.3.
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
None now. But they did receive a couple of guano/EWC tea drenching.
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
2-3 times with neem oil.
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
One 250 watt HPS.
11. How close are your lights to the plants?
4-6".
12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
2.5' x 2.5'.
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
Try to keep them 75-85 degrees. Recent heat wave has been stringing the AC, and afternoon temps have been high 80s/low 90s.
14. What is the pH of the soil?
Don't know. Sorry.
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
Some gnats around the soil, fungus gnats.
16. How much experience do you have growing?
Not much. One previous grow.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Doesnt look like mite damage to me. The spots from mites are where they sit and desiccate the leaf tissue (usually smaller and more of them, older leaves more than new). Checking undersides carefully? Mites like to hide out along the spine for protection from your foliar. Neem can burn if too strong.

Get on those gnats asap before they end up on your buds, BTI such as in Cap's bennies and mosquito dunks should do the trick without much work.

odogodo

odogodo

Doesnt look like mite damage to me. The spots from mites are where they sit and desiccate the leaf tissue (usually smaller and more of them, older leaves more than new). Checking undersides carefully? Mites like to hide out along the spine for protection from your foliar. Neem can burn if too strong.

Get on those gnats asap before they end up on your buds, BTI such as in Cap's bennies and mosquito dunks should do the trick without much work.

I will re-check to see if I can find any mites. If I see any I'll treat them ASAP, before the plants start to flower. Cap's bennies are on the way in the mail, so I will go ahead and treat them with that even if I don't see any mites.

Thanks!

odogodo

odogodo

Forsure NOT mites! Its a burn from the light being magnified by the neem oil you've been using. I would bump your PH up. Uptake range for soil is 6.3-6.8...

I've recently read that I don't need PH down/up with organic grows, because the EWC/humic and dolomite lime buffer the PH. Next time I water, I'm planning on not modifying the PH. But it comes out of the tap pretty high around here, something like 8.5!

odogodo

odogodo

Thank-you all so much for the great advice about my plants. I'm glad to hear no one thinks I have spider mites! I sure don't see any. You all are the best.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

An fyi for you guys, I'm kind of a foliar freak and spray all kinds of stuff with lights on and no probs. As do lots of people I know. I can see where an oil like neem could leave concentrated droplets on leaves, but the burns are likely chemical and not optical.

A suggestion on the neem, maybe try an azadachtrin (extracted) product instead, much more concentrated and dissolves in water-spray better. I've actually never used straight neem so didn't recognize the spots, but think with aza you won't see those burns.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Yes soil will help buffer the ph. But why make another step in the nutrient uptake process. It may take days for the soil to do what you can in ten seconds. Lemon juice works good and is cheap.

homebrew420

homebrew420

looks similar to thrip damage. Check for tiny orangey/beige colored worm-like crawling bug on the tiniest little nooks and crannies of the leaves. Maybe. doesn't look that bad. Good luck

Peace

odogodo

odogodo

Yes soil will help buffer the ph. But why make another step in the nutrient uptake process. It may take days for the soil to do what you can in ten seconds. Lemon juice works good and is cheap.

Thanks for that advice. I heard the hydro PH adjusters are bad for the herd. But lemon should be harmless. Thanks!

odogodo

odogodo

looks similar to thrip damage. Check for tiny orangey/beige colored worm-like crawling bug on the tiniest little nooks and crannies of the leaves. Maybe. doesn't look that bad. Good luck

Peace

Thanks. I'll check that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom