Selective Plant Harvest Process of Cannabis

• Thread starter BigBlonde
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
2Bad

2Bad

I am thinking about this video from DeBacco University: Selective Plant Harvest Process of Cannabis

The talk is mostly about harvesting the whole plant at once, so I'm wondering about this alternative. I look at my plants and can see that not all the buds are likely to mature at the same time. I grow only for personal use, so I'm thinking this might be a good option for me.
I was gonna do the same thing .. it's only one strain for me.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

I am thinking about this video from DeBacco University: Selective Plant Harvest Process of Cannabis

The talk is mostly about harvesting the whole plant at once, so I'm wondering about this alternative. I look at my plants and can see that not all the buds are likely to mature at the same time. I grow only for personal use, so I'm thinking this might be a good option for me.
Ty. Watched his vids and others that touched on this. The other option he or another suggested was to cut off the plant in layers or chunks.

As I did heavy LST I still took branches but each one was like a plant. 🌲Not much of a test but easier to manage still. Trimmed and hung one a day, no hurry.

I forgot about this method but it’s exactly what I need for this SCROG I’m flowering. So ty!

B

BadFish_Genetics

I harvest the whole plantvat once since 1998. Just lollipop your plant so all your buds are done at the same time, then you eliminate that bottom larf you don't want to smoke anyhow.

2Bad

2Bad

I harvest the whole plantvat once since 1998. Just lollipop your plant so all your buds are done at the same time, then you eliminate that bottom larf you don't want to smoke anyhow.
I agree and I will be doing a better lollipop next time. out of 4 strains only one of them is being weird like this.

TSD

TSD

I've done it outdoors before, chopped tops and let rest ride, mostly if they're close and I'm afraid to lose the whole thing to mold. I find they stall for a few days to recover, but if you have time, the lower buds will keep ripening. Did a scrog last year, so all the buds were tops on my main crop. I did take just tops on my widow and let the rest go a bit longer. Unless you're talking leaving the rest for at least like 2 more weeks, it's probably not worth fucking with honestly.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I harvest the whole plant at once since 1998. Just lollipop your plant so all your buds are done at the same time, then you eliminate that bottom larf you don't want to smoke anyhow.
I think the point is that larf can be made better by giving it more plant resources to grow and more time to mature. I'm sure this method isn't for everyone, though. As mentioned in the video, selective harvesting requires more labor, so someone growing many plants probably wouldn't want to do it. However, for someone like me, who only grows a few plants at a time, it may be worth the extra time and effort.

Unless you're talking leaving the rest for at least like 2 more weeks, it's probably not worth fucking with honestly.
Good point. I'm sure the next grow waiting in the queue matters.

My drying space is limited, so I am also thinking this might make better use of the small amount of space I have by drying a little at a time.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

I find they stall for a few days to recover, but if you have time, the lower buds will keep ripening. Did a scrog last year, so all the buds were tops on my main crop. I did take just tops on my widow and let the rest go a bit longer. Unless you're talking leaving the rest for at least like 2 more weeks, it's probably not worth fucking with honestly.
Isn’t there anything that can be put on cuts that seal/heal the wound faster?

Isn’t wax or something like it used on roses?

We have rooting powders & gels, nothing for quick healing?

Although now that I think about it that might not be worth it either. Would need to be quick easy, not messy.

TSD

TSD

Isn’t wax or something like it used on roses?

We have rooting powders & gels, nothing for quick healing?

Although now that I think about it that might not be worth it either. Would need to be quick easy, not messy.
Yeah they make a product for pruning roses and trees... I dunno if it would make much difference, the plant isn't necessarily going to "know" you put a bandaid on, so it will probably still experience shock and send energy to repair... they usually scab up pretty fast on thier own... worth trying though. 🤷‍♀️

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Im thinking ill do a top half bottom half harvest this time but i also think the structure of the plant matters.

20230203 124949

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I'm thinking I'll do a top half bottom half harvest this time but I also think the structure of the plant matters.

That makes a lot of good sense. I wonder how much can be taken off at a time. I'm wondering about avoiding over-stressing the plant. Of course, my plants are nothing like yours. They may not be healthy enough to take the whole top half at once. It's most likely good to have a plan, though.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

This is an interesting idea, but I agree that it may not be worth the effort. This is very similar to topping, and those wounds heal rapidly. The main difference would be the growth stage of the plant, I think.

I thought about some kind of glue, but I probably wouldn't want those chemicals invading the plant. Then I thought of closing the wound with a binder clip. It would close the wound and prevent invasive microscopic pests from entering the plant.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

This is an interesting idea, but I agree that it may not be worth the effort. This is very similar to topping, and those wounds heal rapidly. The main difference would be the growth stage of the plant, I think.

I thought about some kind of glue, but I probably wouldn't want those chemicals invading the plant. Then I thought of closing the wound with a binder clip. It would close the wound and prevent invasive microscopic pests from entering the plant.
I was thinking the red wax from Baby Bell cheese. Or something like it.

Food grade, soft and heat from your hand melts a bit. I melt it and strain it for bow wax.

Only down side would be the number of sites you would need to cover while harvesting.

I might try it but don’t know if it’s worth the effort.

TSD

TSD

I was thinking the red wax from Baby Bell cheese. Or something like it.

Food grade, soft and heat from your hand melts a bit. I melt it and strain it for bow wax.

Only down side would be the number of sites you would need to cover while harvesting.

I might try it but don’t know if it’s worth the effort.
Get an old school wax sealer, like for sealing letters. 🤣
I wrap stalks that break in either press and seal plastic wrap, or duct tape, to keep out pathogens and such. Though, the plant does it quite efficiently on its own when it's a clean cut branch.

Top Bottom