Self-irrigated Planter

• Thread starter SeaF0ur
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

The pics on this one should be pretty explanitory. depending on where you drill the air holes in the reservoir bucket, you can fit around 4 gallons... which greatly reduces the need to water, due to the capillary action, and it is especially effective when compounded with the use of mulch... This easily allows me a week away from the garden or more without a babysitter.

Self irrigated planter
Self irrigated planter 2
Self irrigated planter 3
Self irrigated planter 4
Self irrigated planter 5
Self irrigated planter 6
Self irrigated planter 7
Self irrigated planter 8
Self irrigated planter 9
Self irrigated planter 10

The Terps

The Terps

I'm a little cornfused about how this works. You fill the air tube with water and then the plant soaks it out like wick?

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

The air line is unnecessary and has been abandoned... Idea was to aerate the rez...
The pvc goes to fill the bottom with water... the holes around the bottom pot allow air under the entire upper pot except where it wicks up through capillary action... there is 1 lower hole that is there to piss on yer boots when you overfill... it keeps the max water line allowing that air underneath the entire pot... but yes, both the plant, and the evaporation draw moisture up... It can get about a 1-2 inch "crust" layer on top of the soil if you dont mulch, but that seems just fine to the plants...
I have smaller versions of the same using 5 & 7 gallon buckets

The Terps

The Terps

Haha ok just so I'm clear on this rocks on the bottom to the piss hole then soil above that you dump water down the PVC pipe to be wicked through your soil?

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

the lava rock hold the weight of the soil and plant... quarter bucket keeps em in place out of the way of my wicking section... once you drill a thousand holes in the bucket, it needs assistance... the lava is the best choice because its porous nature allows more volume of water underneath... the piss hole goes ¾ - 1 inch under the bottom of the soil allowing an air layer.. I also use lava rock in about the bottom half of the lower wicking section... mostly just to have a smaller patch of waterlogged anaerobic soil

The Terps

The Terps

Pretty slick thanks for the know how I'll remember that for a later date!

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Yes indeed lol Best description of an earth pot I have ever heard it is actually kinda fun to say. :eek: hey look over there what's that. {Peep}:lurking:
indoor synthetic recreation of an underground cavern with a water table connected to the soil layer...

Hehe makes it sound some extra special and exotic new form of hydroponics

Top Bottom